Talk

Advanced search

Feminazi...

(147 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

BertrandRussell Wed 08-Feb-17 11:47:39

How upset are you when you are called a feminazi? And why?

For me, the insult to me is almost always water off a duck's back. I just hate the underthinking misappropriation of Nazi. It's like breadtapo...............

namechange20050 Wed 08-Feb-17 12:01:16

It doesn't bother me as I always assume the user of the phrase is thick as two short planks. Same as people who use 'liebour' 'tony B.Liar' Etc. Seems to go hand in hand with a tendancy to parrot 'Brexit means brexit' and 'simples' grin

SeekEveryEveryKnownHidingPlace Wed 08-Feb-17 12:06:37

I've never been called this, but the boys at DD's school say it. According to them -
Feminists should be more worried about all the domestic abuse men get cos it's not just women.
Ditto rape. Specifically 'rape by women'. Which cannot happen, but they won't have that.
Feminists just want to be better than men, not equal.
There is no problem for women in this country - should be worried more about women in other countries.
Feminists are feminazis arf arf.

She gets equally annoyed about all of them, not 'nazi' in particular as I don't think she notices it that much any more.

Yes, appropriating 'nazi' is both offensive and stupid, and - as namechange says - weak, pathetic, and unimaginative. Feminazis in the meeja doing meeja studies and voting for Nu Labour and B.Liar need to get over it because we voted 'out'!

YetAnotherSpartacus Wed 08-Feb-17 12:22:30

Yes - It's more about the Nazi and the feeling that some people need to read more history books.

TashaYar Wed 08-Feb-17 12:29:15

It does bother me when thrown against me personally - but then again my family are European jews...

VestalVirgin Wed 08-Feb-17 12:34:00

It is a ridiculous word. The nazis were antifeminist in every way; the antifeminists who use the term "feminazi" have much more in common with nazis. So it is kinda ridiculous.

I am not very upset about any of those antifeminist slurs, because, well, anyone who uses them has shown himself unworthy of having his opinion taken seriously.

When I am in an angry mood, though, the sheer stupidity of it makes me angry.

winchestercathedral Wed 08-Feb-17 12:36:12

Ugh. I hate it, just like I hate 'breastapo'.

It's an 'ad hominum' sort of fallacy. Instead of addressing the issue, it aims to undermine the person who sees it differently from you.

If you can successfully label somebody with a label that implies they're as unreasonable as a Nazi, then you don't need to worry about the points they're making.

FlaviaAlbia Wed 08-Feb-17 12:41:01

Not upset. Pissed off, contemptuous, or just plain angry at the depending on the circumstances.

How dare they minimise what the Nazi's did and turn it into a 'joke'? Are they so stupid or ignorant that they can forget or do they just don't know?

HelenDenver Wed 08-Feb-17 12:50:26

"How dare they minimise what the Nazi's did and turn it into a 'joke'? "

This.

Xenophile Wed 08-Feb-17 13:40:44

Generally it's said by the kind of man who has read somewhere that men are more often victims of DVA and rape than women and then whine about those lies on feminist fora. So, idiots, meninists and MREs and I can't really take people who make such basic factual errors seriously. It's also used by the type of woman who has benefitted from feminism but believes she's done it all by herself or weirdly thinks that feminists all hate men and bang on in a very tiresome fashion about it. And I can't really take them seriously either, they make me slightly cross but hey, still women so I'll still try and make life easier for them.

The actual word is lazy and thoughtless and designed to make women recoil. That the types of women and women I listed above call feminists nazis says everything you need to know about them.

Xenophile Wed 08-Feb-17 13:41:25

Men and women obvs (stupid fat fingers and stupid phone keyboard)

RacoonBandit Wed 08-Feb-17 13:43:05

I cant be insulted by a baffoon who uses the word feminazi.

DeleteOrDecay Wed 08-Feb-17 13:58:50

I often think it says more about the person using the term than the person they're aiming it at.

It's a lazy and ignorant choice of wording.

Elendon Wed 08-Feb-17 14:33:10

I was given this as a last insult by my ex because he knew it would hurt. Why go to such a low common denominator I thought. Any shreds of respect I had for him went then. His affair partner was welcome to him.

VestalVirgin Wed 08-Feb-17 15:09:22

I often think it says more about the person using the term than the person they're aiming it at.

Well, yeah, that is usually the case with all antifeminists. They know we're right and they don't like it.

How dare they minimise what the Nazi's did and turn it into a 'joke'? Are they so stupid or ignorant that they can forget or do they just don't know?

One wonders, but I think they are really just such assholes that they don't care that the person they say it to might be Jewish and have had ancestors killed by the nazis.

I cannot prove it, but I am almost sure I have heard German men say it, and you don't grow up in Germany without learning all about the nazis and what they did.

It is willful stupidity.

Their delicate male feelings being a tiny bit hurt is, to them, just as bad as genocide that is done to other people . Apparently their egos are just that inflated. hmm

It is quite revealing, really. You can see how much more important they think themselves than literally anyone else.

Lessthanaballpark Wed 08-Feb-17 16:09:16

It's not so much offensive as it is depressing that people are so dismissive of a great movement that has brought so much good to so many and that rather than engage with feminist ideas in all their complexity, just seek to ridicule and reduce feminism to something as simplistic as a man-hating doctrine that seeks to impose its will on others.

BertrandRussell Wed 08-Feb-17 16:19:08

Actually, what I find most depressing is that, apart from on Reddit and places like that, it's women I have heard using it. And it's quite often used on here by people that I assume are women......

user1486550809 Thu 09-Feb-17 13:07:34

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

SeekEveryEveryKnownHidingPlace Thu 09-Feb-17 13:14:12

nazi doesn't mean 'extreme'!

BertrandRussell Thu 09-Feb-17 13:21:07

Nazi does not mean extreme! And I don't think the term is ever used as a simple description.......

At the risk of further accusations of being a goady fucker, what is an extreme feminist anyway?

RacoonBandit Thu 09-Feb-17 13:22:15

This user is posting crap all over mn. Please report to help flag them up to mnhq.

TheVermiciousKnid Thu 09-Feb-17 13:22:28

FFS, 'nazi' doesn't mean extreme. It's an abbreviation for 'Nationalsozialist'.

feminazi Thu 09-Feb-17 13:25:38

I've been called it a lot, hence my username... I was trying to reclaim it and show that I was proud to be a feminist. However, on a recent thread several posters said they were offended by it, so I've agreed not to use it anymore.

Jmslvlc990 Thu 09-Feb-17 13:33:57

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

TheVermiciousKnid Thu 09-Feb-17 13:40:22

Jmslvlc990, the poster who made that comment is not a feminist but a goady fucker who is trolling this board.
(maybe even a bit of sockpuppetry?)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now