Talk

Advanced search

Best thing to ask from a female mentor

(4 Posts)
3pies Tue 07-Feb-17 20:05:11

I am a woman. I have been offered the opportunity to have a female mentor from within my organisation. It is a large and wide-rangong organisation so there are quite a lot of options. I can ask for any mentor within reason and ask them to help me with anything.

I have some experience, quite broad and deep in fact. I have a young family. Not wanting to post anything too revealing here, so it's more a general question for those of you further along in your career. if you could ask, or go back and ask, what might you ask for. What are the best things we can learn from other women as we progress in our careers?

DeviTheGaelet Tue 07-Feb-17 20:43:53

1. Networking and being an ambassador for you - having someone sponsoring you can be really powerful
2. How to pitch for work/prepare for interviews, general confidence building. I've had some amazing tips from female mentors.

ChocChocPorridge Tue 07-Feb-17 21:06:51

A specific person? Or an area of business?

Do you know enough about other people to ask for someone specific? If not, are there areas of business that work with yours?

One company I worked for did an exchange program, where you'd get to spend a week with a different department - it was very enlightening. I work in IT, so I'd asked to exchange with operations.

I think that given a chance, if I had no specific person in mind, I'd ask for a mentor as close to the money in the business as possible - be that operations or some other dept. They have very clear roles and responsibilities I find.

I would steer clear of HR/Other female dominated areas unless I was very insterested in them.

HelenDenver Tue 07-Feb-17 22:56:44

Difficult to advise without knowing your skill set etc.

I mentor other women, but I pick them and know them and how I can help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now