Talk

Advanced search

Amusing letter on LinkedIn

(14 Posts)
MrsFogi Fri 03-Feb-17 20:32:09

So this is being liked by thousands on LinkedIn John Cleese and I found it very amusing until I got to point 5 at which point I found it less funny.
I haven't read all the comments but am amazed no-one seems to be picking up on this and somewhat disappointed at the number of people who would not doubt say they are all for equality in the workplace etc etc sharing and liking this on what is after all a platform for professional contacts.
No doubt it will be a career-limiting move if I comment on this to my bosses' boss who has shared the link which may perhaps be why the point is not raised.
Or am I just over-reacting/lacking a sense of humour?

SpongeBobJudgeyPants Fri 03-Feb-17 20:36:46

Nah, this annoys me too. Regularly hear the term, 'Big girl' to insult a man...really kills my pig.

VestalVirgin Fri 03-Feb-17 20:38:22

No, you have a very good sense of humour. Using "girl" as insult, and very clearly only addressing American men in this letter, is sexist and nasty and very much not funny.

VestalVirgin Fri 03-Feb-17 20:41:55

12 is also not funny. People who are sensible enough to see a therapist when they have issues are "not adult enough" now?

And lawyers were invented to avoid people shooting each other with guns. There would have been funnier ways to poke fun at the "people can sue because coffee was hot" thing in the US.

WhaddaPalaver Fri 03-Feb-17 20:42:47

Yeah that's pretty shit really.

It's the same old casual misogyny. If you have a problem with routinely being treated as 'less than', you need to get a sense of humour hmm

Ignore it in this case, because it will only harm you if you comment on LinkedIn: the poster or others who liked it may well attack you as the best method of defence. They are highly unlikely to say, you know, you're right, I never thought of that, and start to see it in a different light.

Definitely feel free to discuss on another platform or if it comes up in person, but on LinkedIn I'd let it go (while feeling insulted and left out TBH).

PoopyPanda Fri 03-Feb-17 20:48:07

Wow, that's really old - I first saw that at least 10 years ago - it's just been modified slightly to make it seem up to date.

Given that John Cleese had talked extensively about how therapy helped him, and co-authored books with a therapist, it does seem off to attribute it to him.

MrsFogi Fri 03-Feb-17 20:50:08

Thanks I'm glad to know I'm not seeing casual sexism where there is none. I am very frustrated though as, if there really had been genuine progress (rather than window dressing) I would be able to call it out and be supported/understood but In know it would be seen as lacking a sense of humour or, God forbid, being a ranting feminist. [frustrated smiley]

WhaddaPalaver Fri 03-Feb-17 20:52:54

poopy excellent point. I take things at face value so had assumed he wrote it <i'm a fool emoticon>. But I certainly recognised it as a version of something that did the rounds when the 2000 US elections went on and on with the Floridian hanging chads debacle.

Xenophile Fri 03-Feb-17 20:54:55

It wasn't written by John Cleese. And it's probably about 15 years old.

WhaddaPalaver Fri 03-Feb-17 20:56:38

www.snopes.com/politics/soapbox/revocation.asp

LassWiTheDelicateAir Fri 03-Feb-17 21:00:20

Wow, that's really old - I first saw that at least 10 years ago - it's just been modified slightly to make it seem up to date

Yes. It appeared after the "hanging chad" fiasco in 2000.

SpongeBobJudgeyPants Fri 03-Feb-17 21:16:08

I probably encounter casual sexism most days. For sanity, I have developed a filter for if it is 'bad enough' to make an issue of it, otherwise I would constantly be engaged in 'lively debate'.

SpongeBobJudgeyPants Fri 03-Feb-17 21:16:49

And I don't mean I am special in any way. I'm sure most of us come accross it most days.

ElBandito Fri 03-Feb-17 23:19:18

First saw something like that in the days of 'W' Bush and the dimpled chads.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now