Talk

Advanced search

Article on Lupron, the drug used to treat Endo, precocious puberty and as a puberty blocker for trans kids

(9 Posts)
Aliasnumberone Fri 03-Feb-17 13:31:42

Title says it all. I have Endo and this has been suggested to me so I've been researching..... I'm not fecking touching it with a 6 foot barge pole now. But why are we routinely told that puberty blockers are harmless when they're clearly not!

http://californiahealthline.org/news/women-fear-drug-they-used-to-halt-puberty-led-to-health-problems/

Aliasnumberone Fri 03-Feb-17 13:32:06

Link fail

californiahealthline.org/news/women-fear-drug-they-used-to-halt-puberty-led-to-health-problems/

Xenophile Fri 03-Feb-17 18:41:23

Wasn't Lupron originally licences as a chemo drug?

No one in their right minds would suggest that something like that would have no side effects, it's incredibly dishonest of that organisation that says this is all fine to do so.

Poppyred85 Fri 03-Feb-17 19:42:51

Lupron (or Leuprorelin to use its generic name) is a hormone analogue that works by "switching off" sex hormone production. It is used most commonly to treat prostate cancer and endometriosis. The idea being that by switching off hormone production endometrial tissue becomes quiescent and therefore the symptoms caused by endometrial tissue outside the womb improve. It's not without side effects. In the short term it can produce menopausal type symptoms in women and if used long term there is a risk of osteoporosis amongst other things. Usually it's used for 3-6 months in women with endometriosis. Like many medicines, it needs to be used appropriately but can be very effective. using it to "block" puberty in children who may be transgender worries me.

Aliasnumberone Fri 03-Feb-17 20:29:03

I genuinely had not idea that Lupron the drug that has been suggested to me to treat my Endo is the same one that kids are being prescribed to block puberty. Surely some of these kids could potentially be on this for years? If it's only advised for adult women to take it for 3-6 months how is it ok for kids who are still growing to take t for extended periods of time. One of the aspects that really shocked me was the level of depression reported by patients, with so much in the media about the 48% suicide rate of transmits surely a drug with such a high incidence of severe and life threatening depression should be a major contra indication. Also I don't know why specifically given all the nasty stuff I the article but that bit about bone slippage in the hip horrified me shock

EnidColeslaw771 Fri 03-Feb-17 20:36:55

I think the future of this off-label use is a load of class action lawsuits tbh.

EnidColeslaw771 Fri 03-Feb-17 20:37:22

Follow the money.

Datun Fri 03-Feb-17 20:39:07

EnidColeslaw771

Precisely.

venusinscorpio Sat 04-Feb-17 01:19:10

Indeed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now