Talk

Advanced search

Some ridiculousness I need to share

(23 Posts)
MrsFionaCharming Thu 02-Feb-17 23:23:09

I used to play a sport which has mixed-sex teams of 7, the rules including that you could only have 4 of either sex to keep it balanced (if that makes sense).

Recently it seems half the people in the team are coming out as trans/non-binary/just about anything (including the transwoman who turns up at training in short-shorts and fishnets and gets lauded for it when you know a women would get slut shamed).

And now this:

Datun Thu 02-Feb-17 23:33:20

Bloody hell MrsC

Send that to Allison Pearson at The Telegraph, who's just kicked off about pregnant persons, with a 'not on your nellie, mate'. (you might add the fishnets as a rider).

What happens if you turn up in fishnets?

MrsFionaCharming Thu 02-Feb-17 23:38:26

Incidentally, the reason for the gendered training, is because a journalist at a big tournament realised how little time women were getting with the ball during matches compared to men. Apparently this couldn't possibly be due to men hogging the ball / sexism, it must be that women don't play well / aggressively enough.

venusinscorpio Thu 02-Feb-17 23:44:13

What do they imagine "male" is?

TrishanFlips Thu 02-Feb-17 23:54:37

Are they just trans-ing for the event to get a place in the team?Because one day they feelz like a woman and the next day they feelz like a man.confused

MrsFionaCharming Fri 03-Feb-17 00:01:01

I honestly don't know. The whole thing was weird, I left the club quite quickly after joining, but am still in the fb page.

YetAnotherSpartacus Fri 03-Feb-17 00:23:21

And meanwhile women's lack of equality in the sport gets sidelined by the fixation on 'non-male' training, because we can't make statements about women and their relative lack of power, rights and privilege any more (setting aside the issue that men need to be taught to share and to consider women as equal teamates). And the fishnets ... because the person wearing them wants to become their fantasy of what a woman is.

CaoNiMa Fri 03-Feb-17 06:59:02

But surely calling it Female Training would be fine, as anyone can "identify" as female now. No?

Do they have an equivalent non-female training session for blokes and transmen?

MrsJamin Fri 03-Feb-17 07:09:18

Oh ffs this stuff is getting ridiculous. Erasure of women here we come.

CharlieSierra Fri 03-Feb-17 07:10:15

Wow, please do send that to any interested journalist you can think of and consider writing to your MP ahead of 24th Feb using it as example.

MilkTwoSugarsThanks Fri 03-Feb-17 07:14:37

OK - I'm really quite neutral about all this trans stuff but...

"...ball control..."

Is that about taping them so they don't show in skimpy swimming costumes? 😂

Datun Fri 03-Feb-17 07:36:21

MrsC

Who exactly were they aiming for? Were they trying to exclude the transwoman? By saying non-males because 'women' would have included her?

Confused.

BadToTheBone Fri 03-Feb-17 07:53:19

Male and non-male, so female no longer exists? Getting beyond ridiculous now.

Bambambini Fri 03-Feb-17 09:32:41

Well non male is for women, transwomen and non binary. Anyone who doesn't identify as a man.

The non male description is wrong though as that is biology so TW and non binary males are still - male. 🤔

FloweringDeranger Fri 03-Feb-17 09:57:00

Personally I'd send back to them that since the only non-males they're actually welcoming are in fact males you won't be playing any more. With a bit of luck there will be a few other women who feel the same. Any chance you could start a rival team, if only an 'online spoof' one, and invite the whole team to the new women's and non-women's club to train?

Ouriana Fri 03-Feb-17 10:03:31

Consider writing to your MP ahead of 24th Feb using it as example

Can I ask what happenson the 24th feb?

OP its a shame youre not still in the group, id have been tempted to take my dog as a non-male grin

MrsFionaCharming Fri 03-Feb-17 13:07:20

I think the governing body for the sport calls the balance thing 'the gender rule', so presumably you could have 3 men and 4 transwomen playing and that would be considered perfectly reasonable.

I think they chose non-male so as not to exclude non-binary men?

Datun Fri 03-Feb-17 13:21:52

I think the governing body for the sport calls the balance thing 'the gender rule', so presumably you could have 3 men and 4 transwomen playing and that would be considered perfectly reasonable.

Yup. And it would tick several boxes, in terms of discrimination, inclusivity, progressiveness, positive discrimination in favour of women.

It's a win-win.

With not an actual woman in sight.

RingringWhoIsIt Fri 03-Feb-17 13:40:17

I think you should invite the leader of the team to take a non-stand at your non-table and you can explain to non-her/non-him the facts of life.

CharlieSierra Fri 03-Feb-17 18:36:05

Consider writing to your MP ahead of 24th Feb using it as example

Can I ask what happenson the 24th feb?

Sorry, was rushing out to work
services.parliament.uk/bills/2016-17/genderidentityprotectedcharacteristic.html

HelenDenver Fri 03-Feb-17 20:14:38

Fish nets.

I'm assuming it's neither a fishing team or a pole dancing team so the purpose of such garments in sport is...?!

OlennasWimple Fri 03-Feb-17 20:55:59

"Non-male" letter starting "Hey guys".... Freudian slip?

Xenophile Fri 03-Feb-17 20:58:20

Yeah, I noticed that too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now