Talk

Advanced search

I am Spartacus Action Group Anyone?

(117 Posts)
CoolJazz Tue 31-Jan-17 08:13:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

geekaMaxima Thu 09-Feb-17 12:46:12

Could we make a concerted effort to upvote/downvote particular definitions on urbandictionary.com? It's a small point, but urbandictionary gets huge traffic and when people Google words like terf and cis, it's usually at or near the top of the search results, so it could help us control the overwhelming TA message to some extent. (For those unfamiliar, urbandictionary comprises user-submitted definitions and usage examples: the one with most net votes goes to top of page).

For instance, I downvoted the current top definition of terf:
Trans-Exclusionary Radical Feminist. That group of feminists that claims that trans women aren't really women, as biological determinism is only a fallacy when it used against them, not when they use it against others.
Isn't it mindboggling that the Royal College of Psychiatrists would invite a TERF like Julie Bindel to come talk at a study day on transgenderism and transsexuality? That's like inviting Fred Phelps to come deliver the keynote at a gay pride.

And upvoted this one instead:
Trans-Exlusionary Radical Feminist. Originally just named radical feminism. The basis of radical feminism is that gender is a social construct forced upon people at birth and are roles specifically designed to keep women subordinate to men (masculinity vs.feminity). Men, Trans activist, and liberal feminist use the term "TERF" because the principle of radical feminism cannot coexist with gender/trans ideology
TERF is usually thrown at any woman who express a female centered opionion or whose opinion is out of line with gender ideology. And of course, diversity of opinion is bad and liberals will silence you immediately with the term TERF to justify your harrassment, beating, and raping. All in the name of progressiveness

bejiggery Thu 09-Feb-17 14:32:40

Geekamaxima good idea does it need its own thread though perhaps on here and AIBU ?

MiddleGround Thu 09-Feb-17 17:16:30

Please forgive me but I need to rant:

I spent 7 years gaining university qualifications (undergraduate and post graduate) to become proficient in the fields of biology, microbiology and genetics. I spent my professional working life teaching anatomy and physiology, microbiology, genetics plus a whole raft of biological science topics. I feel that my entire academic and professional career is being nullified by the transactivist agenda to the extend that I my entire existence is being invalidated and believe me when I say I am not amused. I will therefore lend my unwavering support to any and all lobbyists/speakers/activists who will hopefully continue to question this destructive agenda.

Datun Thu 09-Feb-17 18:14:03

middle

Write just that to your MP insisting they represent your views at the second reading of the Gender Identity Bill (Maria Miller) on February 24th.

If it's any comfort, I love it when someone with a background such as yours comes on and slays the issue with science.

Merely being an actual woman doesn't appear to have enough credibility.

MiddleGround Thu 09-Feb-17 19:13:56

Datun as suggested a rather more lengthy version of my initial comments has been sent to my MP. As I am unable to work anymore due to ill health I do not stand to lose my job and therefore have no fears of speaking out against this rhetoric. I pointed out that in the absence of appropriate investigations into issues associated with for example, social contagion, pre-existing mental health issues, social isolation etc etc (long list) that we are failing to protect vulnerable young people. Hope other concerned parents will also speak out xx

CharlieSierra Thu 09-Feb-17 19:30:03

Just putting this here in case anyone is nearby/interested

www.eventbrite.com/e/unspeakable-women-tickets-31686426956?aff=utm_source%3Deb_email%26utm_medium%3Demail%26utm_campaign%3Dnew_event_email&utm_term=eventurl_text

Datun Thu 09-Feb-17 20:17:38

Good middle, but don't be surprised if you get some wanky form letter back banging on about inclusion and not addressing a single point you've made.

Keep writing.

Datun Thu 09-Feb-17 20:18:12

charlie

I'm not nearby but I am interested. So thank you very much for that link.

MiddleGround Thu 09-Feb-17 20:42:28

Likewise very interested to attend the event - does anyone know if it is a legitimate event? I am somewhat concerned that it may be targeted by protesters who want to push their own agenda

CharlieSierra Thu 09-Feb-17 20:54:57

It is a legitimate event. The actual venue has not yet been published, I'm guessing to avoid protesters.

CharlieSierra Thu 09-Feb-17 20:56:45

There's a bit more on this link about Critical Sisters

www.womensgrid.org.uk/?p=1772

MiddleGround Thu 09-Feb-17 21:06:07

CharlieSierra I really want to go but I am guessing that many people like me may be frightened at the potential backlash from you know where. At my age and with serious health issues I would not be able to cope with unacceptable behaviour from vocal individuals trying to stifle a debate

Prawnofthepatriarchy Thu 09-Feb-17 21:13:05

I wouldn't worry about it, MiddleGround. I went to a feminist conference about transgender in central London last July, also organised by Eventbrite, and it was brilliant. No demonstrators but even if there had been there was low key security provided by amazing amazon lesbians. Julie Bindel spoke there too.

It'll be a hell of a trek for me to go to Cheltenham for the day but I got such a buzz from the last one that I just might make it.

I too am getting on, and my health is not good but there's nothing as supportive as a feminist gathering.

CharlieSierra Thu 09-Feb-17 21:17:26

Middle I totally understand your concerns. I'm going because I've been feeling very strongly lately that I need to do more than vent online so I've been actively looking for ways to become more involved. I know the person behind the organisation from another group, and I hope it will be successful and that there will be no shouty men. No guarantees though. sad

CharlieSierra Thu 09-Feb-17 21:18:25

Oh, I'm old too grin

MiddleGround Thu 09-Feb-17 21:27:07

Hope you find this insightful piece of writing useful: www.thepublicdiscourse.com/2015/06/15145/

EmpressOfTheSpartacusOceans Thu 09-Feb-17 21:30:35

Great thread, I'd like to join in too.

I can't make the Critical Sisters event sad but for anyone considering it, I went to the same feminist conference as Prawn and yes, it was bloody brilliant. Imagine a roomful of women shouting along with Magdalen Berns "THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A LESBIAN WITH A PENIS!!!!!"

Prawnofthepatriarchy Thu 09-Feb-17 22:05:30

God, wasn't it great, Empress! Sigh... Do you fancy going to Cheltenham?

Being old and fat, I'm not going to be intimidated by any TRAs. They won't be expecting resistance from someone who looks like their auntie. But I can be fearless when roused. grin

Prawnofthepatriarchy Thu 09-Feb-17 22:07:20

Paul McHugh, the author of the piece you linked to, MiddleGround, is a family friend, oddly enough.

PolterGoose Thu 09-Feb-17 22:08:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Prawnofthepatriarchy Thu 09-Feb-17 22:08:53

Sorry, Empress, just spotted you can't go to Cheltenham. Shame.

PacificDogwod Thu 09-Feb-17 22:12:36

I'm in too.

I wrote to the BMA, registering my... astonishment at their guidance and got a reply that stated it was advice for the workplace and not for doctors treating patients or summat hmm

CharlieSierra Thu 09-Feb-17 22:13:14

Shall I wear a red carnation?

Datun Thu 09-Feb-17 22:16:27

I've never been to a feminist talk - fairly thin on the ground where I live.

Is there a secret MN handshake?

Prawnofthepatriarchy Thu 09-Feb-17 22:23:07

When we know who is definitely coming we can swap numbers and arrange to meet up. There's bound to be a café or such.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »