Talk

Advanced search

I am Spartacus Action Group Anyone?

(115 Posts)
CoolJazz Tue 31-Jan-17 08:13:07

So, I've been following the threads about women's concerns about our rights, needs and identities being ignored and sidelined with increasing frustration, and disbelief that we can be so invisible, and feeling like I want a role in speaking out in a small way.

I emailed the BMA yesterday to register my views on their guidance. I only did a brief email, but they read it, and I did get a response.

So, I wondered if anyone would be interested in a thread where those of us on it could link to people or organisations where we think women's voices need to be heard on this issue, with a few pointers to construct a brief email, so that a collective voice starts to be heard?

I'm not sure of this will work, or if anyone else is interested, but I think it may be a good way to work together to start to be heard, keeping it manageable for most of us within our already busy lives.

I was thinking we could aim to have a maximum of one link/email a day, so that efforts can be concentrated, and with some general guidance on the central points for that organisation within this issue, so that we can do a response individually within 5 mins and send it off.

What do you think? Anyone in?

Poppyred85 Tue 31-Jan-17 08:36:21

I would like to. I have to say though that it makes me a little nervous. Having seen the vitriol on terfisaslur.com and being open to potentially career and life ruining vexatious complaints against my governing body does concern me. Can this be done under a pseudonym or semi-anonymously? The thought that I should have to do it like that really pisses me off but I also have to be realistic about how some transactivists have behaved.

CaoNiMa Tue 31-Jan-17 08:37:16

Count me in!

JanuaryMoods Tue 31-Jan-17 08:39:29

Yup!

CoolJazz Tue 31-Jan-17 08:44:14

That's an interesting point Poppy, I too have professional concerns here.

I was presuming that fact MN is anonymous and we will then be emailing privately should be sufficient protection, any advice from anyone else on this?

Prawnofthepatriarchy Tue 31-Jan-17 10:42:33

I would have thought the same, OP. I have already written privately as I can't see that my MP is going to set baseball bat wielding activists on me. Plus no one is going to take any notice of anonymous letters.

We already have had threads on FWR covering petitions and letters. I can see that having a permanent Spartacus thread would make it easy to track letter campaigns and petitions. I think it seems a good idea.

CoolJazz Wed 01-Feb-17 08:28:10

If anyone who has expressed an interest wants to suggest an email or link on this thread, please go ahead and those of us on the thread can follow up to add numbers and therefore weight to the women's concern's being raised.

WhisperingLoudly Wed 01-Feb-17 09:43:17

Are you familiar with:

fairplayforwomen.com/about-fpfw

YetAnotherSpartacus Wed 01-Feb-17 10:14:51

I think it is a great idea ... but I need to be very, very careful for professional reasons. The TRA approach to trans is sacrosanct in the area in which I work.

Datun Wed 01-Feb-17 11:11:18

YetAnotherSpartacus

"The TRA approach to trans is sacrosanct in the area in which I work."

The fear of speaking out is so shocking - it has something of the Twilight Zone about it.

It was really born in on me during the web chat with Jess Phillips how stymied everyone is.

When the question 'what is a woman?' is not only unanswered, but completely unaddressed, there is clearly a very big problem indeed.

The only two answers to that question are either the biological one, or the 'feeling in the head' one.

The fact that Jess was unable to give either answer indicates, to me, that she was concerned over the backlash from the two opposing camps.

Criticism of transactivism produces not only threats of violence from TRAs, but also outrage from everyday folk who see it as exclusionary and tied up with LGB rights (erroneously in my opinion).

The answer to 'what is a women' provides the basis of the conflict.

I really can't imagine anyone in their right mind would be willing to officially agree that it is just a feeling. You would have women, scientists, doctors, biologists, linguists, feminists, pedants, mothers and any number of people profoundly disagreeing. Many people aren't aware of the ridiculous claims that TRAs are making.

Spotlighting that one, significant, vital question might highlight the damage underlying the ideology.

Forcing an answer must at least provoke a debate where debate has become taboo.

Knowing how some threads here are picked up by MSN and seeing that the Daily Mail is beginning to have a bit of an axe to grind in terms of the trans-ideology maybe we could start a threat 'what is a woman?'

I can see it being a fairly easy thread to recreate in the media, as there is no real judgement to it. It's simply asking a question.

I can see the DM reporting "Mumsnet is asking the question 'What is a woman?' The answers are interesting!"

There will be various answers, but I doubt any of them will include 'a man who wears a dress'. If it does, all the better, as it will be provocative.

So instead of the Daily Mail exploiting mumsnet, do you think mumsnet can exploit the Daily Mail by providing them with a means of getting the question out there?

CharlieSierra Wed 01-Feb-17 20:36:59

I like your idea Datun

theaveragewife Wed 01-Feb-17 20:38:37

Marking place for more thought on this tomorrow, but initial reaction is that I'd like to be involved.

Seeingadistance Wed 01-Feb-17 23:35:03

Yes, I'd like to be involved. Count me in.

TitaniasCloset Thu 02-Feb-17 18:08:20

I will do what I can.

Albadross Fri 03-Feb-17 20:42:19

I'm in too

PolterGoose Fri 03-Feb-17 21:48:15

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MiddleGround Wed 08-Feb-17 01:14:32

Count me in

FairPlayForWomen Wed 08-Feb-17 03:00:15

I'm in smile

I'm also willing to add stuff to fairplayforwomen.com, as long as it doesn't involve me writing an article. You can PM me or post on here.

Thanks for the mention, Whispering!

CoolJazz Wed 08-Feb-17 19:22:47

I was wondering of we could focus some emails at clinics treating children and raise the question about ongoing counselling and support for children of parents who do not want to follow the medicalised route, but still have confused unhappy adolescents who need ongoing support.

I thought this would show some solidarity with Fish, and is a positive message asking for support for transgender young people, and not attacking anyone else.

Any thoughts about this route? Maybe email the Tavi clinic with a few pointers raising the need for ongoing support for those who do not want hormone treatment?

Datun Wed 08-Feb-17 19:33:03

CoolJazz

That sounds like a good starting point. It's difficult to present much of a pro-drugs argument when it comes to children.

I suspect they will say they don't administer drugs to anyone under 18. However asking why there is little, or no alternative counselling if you are not going down the drugs, might be a good point to make.

And yes, solidarity with Fish.

Datun Wed 08-Feb-17 19:36:12

Also, I think we should all do it at different times. So make notes in our diaries to do it two or three weeks apart. I don't think it has the same impact if they all come at once as it will look like it has been a concerted effort from a cohort.

And no template email. For the same reason.

CoolJazz Wed 08-Feb-17 19:41:15

I'll see if others respond to the idea and get an email address and some pointers for an email. Agree no template though.

Datun have you seen this thread www.mumsnet.com/Talk/am_i_being_unreasonable/2849727-To-wonder-how-we-know?

MiddleGround Wed 08-Feb-17 20:38:11

Excellent interview here questioning the female erasure phenomenon - Tucker Carlson Interviews Kara Dansky - Teaming Up Against Obama Transgender Bathroom Mandate: www.youtube.com/watch?v=TB9ElDucqT8&feature=youtu.be

Datun Wed 08-Feb-17 21:26:07

CoolJazz

Thanks for the heads up. I'll check it out.

bejiggery Thu 09-Feb-17 11:56:33

Another great video not sure if its been posted before www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlM_EsgaET4

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now