Advanced search

Brighton libfems attempting to ban women from wearing pussy hats on Trump demo

(127 Posts)
TheCountessofFitzdotterel Mon 30-Jan-17 16:22:34

It's too vaginacentric apparently hmm

In case the thread hasn't been deleted by the time you see this, it's here

'Ooffii Hardwick
1 hr ·
Message from the organisers: Our intention is to make this march intersectional and inclusive for all. For that reason we respectfully request that people ensure that their signs and apparel reflect that. We ask that you do not wear pussy hats or carry "pussy power" placards. The vagina centric theme of the Womens' Marches was offensive and entirely exclusive of our trans sisters. Genitalia does not equal gender. Whilst we understand people's desire to fight back and react to Donald Trump's horrendous misogyny, we believe the best way to do this is to fight together and for each other in a space where no one feels unwelcome, and where those spaces do not exist for us to be the ones to forge them.'

There are some very pissed off feminists in Brighton now, judging by the thread.
It's meant to be a demo in support of Muslims against Trump's racist immigration policies so I am not sure why anyone would be carrying a vagina placard anyway, but not being allowed to wear the hats seems a bit extreme.

picklemepopcorn Mon 30-Jan-17 16:24:07

No! The hats are a pointed response to trump's own words. What a sorry shame.

MrsTerryPratchett Mon 30-Jan-17 16:29:36

This really fucking pisses me off.

Trump grabs pussies. Not front holes, not dicks. Pussies.

He is stopping millions of dollars of aid to organizations that work on contraception, abortion and sex education to people with uteri.

Totally happy for trans people to carry their own signs about what I'm sure will be an assault on LGBT rights as soon as Trump's pen cools down enough to sign more shit.

It really reminds me of those, 'all lives matters' wankers.

VestalVirgin Mon 30-Jan-17 16:32:48

I don't see why anyone would even want to wear a vulva shaped hat at a demo against racism, but they made their anti-woman stance pretty clear by banning the hats.

Apparently they find it more important to grovel to the trans than to have actual feminists there to bulk up the numbers, even though the demo is not at all about trans.

... can anyone tell me where to get such a hat? There's a feminist demo planned soon, and I'd like to wear one.

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Mon 30-Jan-17 16:36:52

I have a spare one you can have, Vestal. PM me your address and whether your head is small or medium/large and I'll pop it in the post.

There are patterns to knit and crochet them at this website but the point is that they are all handmade and shared around. (They are an absolute doddle to make for anyone with the most basic of knitting skills.)

ladyballs Mon 30-Jan-17 16:38:38

Oh ffs.

Celaena Mon 30-Jan-17 16:42:06

really good post on the page (not including the name of the poster, as they may want to make a change or something)

Dear all I was coming to report on this and participate and still will. However no other city anywhere is condeming the vaginal aspect pf the women's marches and suggesting it was offensive. No other city is imposing a ban on pussy hats or any other anti Trump banners/signs. You are making yourselves look bad to everyone and are in danger of being derided by pro and anti trump camps alike. The next Brighton protest will be run by other organisers at the rate you are going. I have half a mind to make my own speech before your 6pm start

glenthebattleostrich Mon 30-Jan-17 16:46:50

Really vestal, didn't you know everything must be transcentric now? If you don't you're just a big old bigotty bigot.

Celaena Mon 30-Jan-17 16:48:00

what do you think they'll do if people turn up with pussy hats/signs?

er... nothing

VestalVirgin Mon 30-Jan-17 16:56:29

glent, then I am a proud bigotty bigot. grin

@Countess: Thanks! Though it appears I mistood the meaning of "pussy hat", and am a bit disappointed, now. I think I still have a pair of cat ears, I hoped the hat would be more vulva shaped.

Am now even more baffled that they have a problem with this. So they oppose cats on the basis that "pussy" has a double meaning, now?
What is next? Will they ask people to not keep pussycats as pets?

I'm in Germany, so not sure whether cat ears will be understood. Perhaps I'll just use the venus symbol for some subtle "transphobia."

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Mon 30-Jan-17 16:56:56

Most of the people on the thread seem to think the ban is daft, anyway - I don't think the anti-vagina brigade are in a position to do anything really.

VestalVirgin Mon 30-Jan-17 16:59:18

Tear them to pieces, I suspect. I wouldn't want to be the lone pussy hat/sign person in that crowd ...

Perhaps one could get away with being lectured on "transphobia" if the group only consists of actual females who are handmaidens, and no trans-transactivists, but ... I'd not count on it.

Transactivists make it very clear on the internet what they'd like to do to women.

tigerdriverII Mon 30-Jan-17 17:01:54

I'm a bigotty old bigot too then. WTF are they on about: Trump is out of control and crackers and protest is essential. Not this ludicrous ivory tower male privilege bickering. And as for "penis-owning women" - words fail me.

DioneTheDiabolist Mon 30-Jan-17 17:02:12

I have half a mind to make my own speech before your 6pm start.

What would your speech be about?

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Mon 30-Jan-17 17:03:01

Now you've got me wondering if there's a pattern anywhere online for a proper knitted vagina hat smile

rumblingDMexploitingbstds Mon 30-Jan-17 17:05:54

Did you miss the social media about 'beat up all terfs you see' that went up at the big march a week or so back?

picklemepopcorn Mon 30-Jan-17 17:16:35

Sorry, I've been wondering for ages, what is a terf?

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Mon 30-Jan-17 17:17:25

Celaena was quoting from the FB thread, Dione - she's not planning to make a speech.

Re the threatening posts before the main march, I saw those. And they didn't do it, of course. I am sure part of it was the numbers (far more apparent 'terfs' than antiterfs on the march, if the criterion for a terf includes anyone with a pussy hat...) but also I doubt that the people who post that stuff even bother turning up most of the time.
Activism online and in real life seem to pan out very differently - it's interesting....

PlaymobilPirate Mon 30-Jan-17 17:20:54

No! They're a perfect, easily recognisable symbol... why on earth would they want to take away from that?

My friend and I run a crochet page on Facebook and we've had loads of people order pussyhats / ask for our help to teach them to crochet them!

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Mon 30-Jan-17 17:21:44

Pickle, it stands for trans exclusive radical feminist, but in practice it is used of anyone not 101% on board with every aspect of extreme transactivism, including many people who wouldn't even consider themselves feminists let alone radical ones.

It's an insult rather than a self-description - see this website and is generally used to threaten women and shut them up. It's rapidly evolved into a hate term because of all the 'kill all terfs' type stuff and if anyone uses it with a straight face but claims to be a feminist I generally think hmm

Celaena Mon 30-Jan-17 17:26:08

oh crikey not me... i;m not making a speech

ChocChocPorridge Mon 30-Jan-17 17:30:33

Ravelry

No hats, although there are some mittens!

ChocChocPorridge Mon 30-Jan-17 17:32:46

Also, and I'm giggling as I write this, there's a green vagina, and one of the images has been censored with a big black oval - I didn't notice at first glance.

I saw a picture of a woman at the march in a flouncy pink skirt, with a beige hoodie with a furry hood edge. I didn't realise until I'd looked at it for a bit that when she put the hood up, it became a vulva costume - it was awesomely subtly done

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Mon 30-Jan-17 17:34:24

Oh, a pattern for a knitted vulva!
It would make a nice brooch.

ChocChocPorridge Mon 30-Jan-17 17:35:27

Oh wow - vulva has fewer, but the mittens in the middle are lovely!

Vulva

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now