Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Non-iron shirts for women

(16 Posts)
iismum Sat 28-Jan-17 10:30:06

I've recently started wearing shirts to work (used to be more casual) and, having bought non-iron shirts for the kids, and having seen DH buy non-iron shirts for himself, I assumed I would be able to do this. But it's almost impossible! M&S have pages and pages of non-iron shirts for men, and not a single one for women (when I complained, they directed me to the girls' school shirts?!) - and it's the same in most other shirt shops I've looked at.

Now maybe this is just a market thing - perhaps women wear shirts less often than men and school kids, non-iron is less popular than regular, so the women non-iron market is too small. But it really makes me feel like people are making sexist assumptions about women being prepared to spend hours slaving over a hot iron to look good, whereas men of course have better things to do. Why is there less choice for women?

Is this a feminist issue, or am I overthinking this?

HelenDenver Sat 28-Jan-17 10:41:35

DH does the ironing in our house, so I don't have a dog in this fight!

Is it to do with thickness of fabric/hiding bras, I wonder?

HelenDenver Sat 28-Jan-17 10:42:45

I also think <may just be DH snobbery> that non iron shirts aren't of a high quality fabric, hence fine for school clothes but would be not considered smart enough for some jobs.

StripeyMonkey1 Sat 28-Jan-17 10:44:12

Non iron shirts for work would be great. Please let me know if you find any!

I think that women do have more choices in terms of what types of tops to wear than men. I wear shirts sometimes, but more often blouses and even some more t-shirt type tops can look fine with a necklace and/or jacket. These can be non-iron at least.

OlennasWimple Sat 28-Jan-17 10:44:46

I agree with Helen (including also having a DH who does the ironing - I can't stand it!!)

I suspect also that more fitted garments won't wash and hang as well.

HelenDenver Sat 28-Jan-17 10:53:46

I avoid the problem by almost never wearing blouses, or else floppy ones that don't really crease if hung up.

ChocChocPorridge Sat 28-Jan-17 12:22:58

Neither DP nor I generally wear stuff that needs ironing, but, in the days I did I found that the non iron stuff tended to look a bit rubbish, that the best bet was buying nice, thick, heavyweight cotton shirts because they ironed more easily than the cheaper ones, looked better, and lasted longer...

I am intrigued by the unstainable white shirts I saw on kickstarter though, but I haven't remembered to go and buy one!

Lunaballoon Sat 28-Jan-17 12:34:50

I do think you're overthinking OP. Non-iron is just a marketing label. There are plenty of women's shirts/tops in fabrics that don't need ironing. I have loads that go straight after drying to the hanger.

YetAnotherSpartacus Sat 28-Jan-17 12:47:59

What's an iron?

HelenDenver Sat 28-Jan-17 12:55:49

It's a bit like a really big paperweight, Yet...

LassWiTheDelicateAir Sat 28-Jan-17 13:41:41

I didn't know non iron shirts existed. My husband always irons his own shirts and my Anne Fontaine blouses (A level ironing skills needed)

I expect non iron shirts are some sort of horrible poly cotton mix - probably worn with suits that are washable.

Xenophile Sat 28-Jan-17 14:37:50

Buy men's shirts.

Even if they are made by plaiting the arse hair of angels and not some awful poly cotton non named brand to be worn only with truly terrible washable suits, they're easier to iron than blouses.

Get some from Jermyn Street if you have to.

Plus, if you get ones you have to have cufflinks for, you get to buy lovely cufflinks as well. And collar stiffeners.

Xenophile Sat 28-Jan-17 15:16:09

Oooh, in fact you could get some 100% cotton non iron shirts from Jermyn Street tailors.

How terribly spiffing!

LassWiTheDelicateAir Sat 28-Jan-17 15:55:23

Buy men's shirts

Why would I want to do that? Even if I wanted a plain man's style shirt ( which I don't ) men's shirts aren't cut to fit a female body. If they fit at the chest they are too long in the sleeve , baggy at the waist and too tight over the hips.

dementedpixie Sat 28-Jan-17 16:06:38

a few here

daisydaisychain Sat 28-Jan-17 16:10:54

Charles tyrwhitt are good.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now