Talk

Advanced search

"Chestfeeding"

(92 Posts)
elusivemoosive Fri 20-Jan-17 13:48:49

This was shared on my fb.

https://www.romper.com/p/9-reasons-why-i-call-it-chestfeeding-you-should-too-31215?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=owned&utm_campaign=romperbf

I am long term lurker. I am Spartacus. Is this for real?? Is this a view held by... well, anyone?

The jist of it is thus: the term breastfeeding is inaccurate and triggering for transmen, so we should call it chestfeeding (also, if you don't you are a jerk, so ner). And, if I am understanding it correctly, not just for transmen, but for all women.

I feel so ... fffffffff.

Ginmakesitallok Fri 20-Jan-17 13:50:52

Anyone who feeds children directly from their body does through via their breasts. Breasts make milk, chests don't.

ExitPursuedBySpartacus Fri 20-Jan-17 13:52:06

Every day's a new day.

AmeliaJack Fri 20-Jan-17 13:52:50

Sorry I can't see the link but I have a quick question.

Men (born men) can get breast cancer. It's not called "chest cancer" just because they are men.

ageingrunner Fri 20-Jan-17 13:53:00

No, just no. Enough.

Surely this is inaccurate because men do have breast tissue. It's only a small amount, but it is there - so changing the term to chestfeeding is completely unnecessary - and to claim it does, displays woeful ignorance of male anatomy on the part of the writer.

It's also why men should check their breast area for lumps too, because they can get breast cancer (though a far lower incidence than in women).

HairyLittlePoet Fri 20-Jan-17 14:03:24

These phrases "chestfeeding" "female penis" are the magic midget gems that produce peaktrans in droves.

Don't hate on the insanity. It's ace.

CommonFramework Fri 20-Jan-17 14:06:28

Oh, FFS.

PacificDogwod Fri 20-Jan-17 14:08:48

Breastfeeding is called that because the milk comes from breasts, not chests.

NB Men can and do get breast cancer, they can produce milk. I would imagine that a male-to-female transperson could be made to lactate (I don't know, not an expert), but it would still be breast feeding.

PacificDogwod Fri 20-Jan-17 14:09:33

Male breast ca - don't mean to derail, just FYI.

Prawnofthepatriarchy Fri 20-Jan-17 14:16:13

It's complete and utter bollocks, OP. If you're feeling brave you might say something about men having breast tissue too. It's not just women.

AmeliaJack Fri 20-Jan-17 14:21:06

Just out of interest can anyone link to stats regarding the numbers of male to female and female to male trans people in the U.K. and elsewhere?

ChocChocPorridge Fri 20-Jan-17 14:23:31

male-to-female transperson could be made to lactate (I don't know, not an expert), but it would still be breast feeding

Yeah.. do not go down that rabbit hole.. there's an entire fetish for it.

PacificDogwod Fri 20-Jan-17 14:26:52

Oh, goody, a fetish, why I am not very surprised?!

It is such a whole load of bollocks, isn't it?
FFS.
Because the world has nothing else to worry about... hmm

thedancingbear Fri 20-Jan-17 14:28:04

I am male. That small flabby bit around by nipple is, undeniably, a breast. In the exceedingly unlikely event that i were to lactate, it would be my breast that issued forth, not my chest.

I'm not altogether onboard with the anti-trans thing that seems to preoccupy this board, but the point at hand here does seem entirely nonsensical. It's simply a misuse of English, and there is nothing that offends or upsets me more than that.

thedancingbear Fri 20-Jan-17 14:29:54

I'm led to understand that, if a man stuffs himself sufficiently with the (in-)appropriate hormones, ultimately he will be capable of lactation. (For the avoidance of doubt, I have no fetish interest here, but I am good at biology)

LuluLovesFruitcakes Fri 20-Jan-17 14:29:57

Men have breast tissue. They can get breast cancer. Fucking chest-feeding. hmm

Prawnofthepatriarchy Fri 20-Jan-17 14:34:02

I would imagine that the Tavistock Gender Clinic has figures on its own patients but this would only cover those being treated conventionally in the NHS. However there seem to be more people, particularly transwomen, who aren't receiving medical treatment though they may be obtaining hormones online.

There is no easy way to work out a reliable figure, I'd imagine, Amelia. It's one of the (many) issues with the topic. If you're counting transgender as meaning absolutely everyone under the umbrella then the figure is completely different to the numbers undergoing recorded medical treatment. Not only are the numbers different, the sex ratio changes. Far more girls are attending the Tavistock but, anecdotally, there appear to be far more transwomen than transmen.

The imprecision must drive serious researchers in the field crazy. How can you evaluate a health issue when you don't even know how many people are affected?

HairyLittlePoet Fri 20-Jan-17 14:38:51

anti-trans hmm

I think you'll find that what you are characterising as "the anti-trans thing" probably has a great deal more in common with the misuse of English you refer to than you realise.

Using language to redefine and obscure reality is a great deal of what you are reading as "anti-trans".

Feel free to get as upset about that as the rest of us do.

PacificDogwod Fri 20-Jan-17 14:40:33

Calling 'chest feeding' bullshit is not anti-trans, it is anti-bullshit.
HTH.

ageingrunner Fri 20-Jan-17 14:48:30

I'm not altogether onboard with the anti-trans thing that seems to preoccupy this board, but the point at hand here does seem entirely nonsensical

Chest feeding = nonsensical
Man transforming into a woman (or vice versa) = perfectly possible?
That position seems rather nonsensical to me thedancingbear

MrsGWay Fri 20-Jan-17 15:17:11

Medical degrees must be well out of date by now! How is anybody meant to keep up with all these words changing definitions?

This really does show how farcical it all is.

whoputthecatout Fri 20-Jan-17 15:52:24

FFS - now they are just taking the piss. Another Spartacus here. Call me a TERF - who cares?

Datun Fri 20-Jan-17 15:52:28

Chest feeding
Lady penis
Girl dick
Pregnant man
Gender is biological
Sex is a social construct
XX chromosomes don't mean you are female
Likewise XY for male
Lesbian with a penis
Saying Mr is literal violence
Man means woman

If it wasn't so dangerous, it would be laughable.

JigglyTuff Fri 20-Jan-17 17:02:31

How many people are there who have transitioned and have children ad breastfeed? A tiny, tiny number. It's probably less than 1000 globally. And yet half the world's population is supposed to rename a part of our body in case it upsets them? Fuck off

I find the word 'chest-feeding' triggering actually. It triggers actual rage

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now