Talk

Advanced search

Melvyn Fucking Bragg. /rant

(7 Posts)
Miffer Sat 07-Jan-17 02:25:14

I am/was a big fan of Radio 4s In Our Time. For those unlucky/lucky enough to not have heard of it it's a weekly hour long program were a panel of academics discuss a topic with Melvyn Bragg leading the discussion. It covers everything from particle physics to poetry.

I've just been having a little binge as I haven't listened for a while and had to switch off mid sentence because I wanted to punch the patronising old cunt in his stupid fucking face. He only EVER tells women they are wrong. It's mansplaining on a whole new level. If anybody has the fucking audicity to try and bring womens issues into something he just dismisses it and heaven fucking forfend a woman should question patriarchal tropes or point out sexism in the work of a great man.

Fuck that stupid fucker and fuck Radio 4 for letting him get away with it.

SundaeLieIn Sat 07-Jan-17 02:31:56

Remember he wrote this:

www.goodreads.com/book/show/1980864.A_Time_To_Dance

I remember watching the screen adaptation with Dervla Kirwan years ago and thinking it very old school 'dirty old man' type stuff. I had always thought quite highly of him up until then. I loved the South Bank Show.

PoochSmooch Sat 07-Jan-17 06:21:02

Really? I've always been pretty impressed by him. The show more often than not has two or more women on it, which is better than just about any other panel discussion show, and I think he's a very skilled host. I really haven't seen him patronise or mansplain at all. Was there a particular episode you were thinking of?

CaoNiMa Sat 07-Jan-17 09:22:42

I've always quite liked the way he conducts himself, but I'm always distracted by his heavy breathing and smoker's cough!

Wolpertinger Sat 07-Jan-17 10:17:58

He is prone to mansplaining and interrupting the female academics more than the male. But at least it's a show where female academics are present, and not just a token one a week presence. And they have a lot of famous (or undeservedly not famous) women from history as topics.

I can just about forgive him as I think he would be genuinely shocked to know he does it.

illegitimateMortificadospawn Sat 07-Jan-17 14:19:56

He is prone to mansplaining and interrupting the female academics more than the male.

Sounds like a neat research project topic for an undergrad or similar, especially as a lot of BBC content is now available online. smile

PoochSmooch Sat 07-Jan-17 14:49:09

That would be an interesting project, to see if he does. Has any research like this been done on any panel shows, does anyone know? I'm notoriously intolerant of mansplaining, but I haven't had Melvyn on my shit list for doing it, so I'm intrigued as to what I'm missing that miffer has picked up on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now