Talk

Advanced search

a question from my daughter aged 12

(57 Posts)
Janx Wed 21-Dec-16 13:05:09

Can you think of any films where two women are having conversations that are not about men?

SVJAA Wed 21-Dec-16 13:06:39

Not a movie but Rizzoli and Isles (American cop show) has two female protagonists, both of whom are not dependent on men and are successful women (and also very funny).

EggnoggAndMulledWine Wed 21-Dec-16 13:06:45

Frozen?

SpeakNoWords Wed 21-Dec-16 13:06:58

http://bechdeltest.com

Try here...

TrionicLettuce Wed 21-Dec-16 13:07:52

You need the Bechdel Test Movie List.

FaithFromTheRealmsOfGlory Wed 21-Dec-16 13:11:18

Pitch Perfect is a great example. Guys are incidental to the story line. I watched this with a friend who explained about the Bechdel test. You can't stop judging stuff by this once you're familiar with it!

I watched the new Star Wars movie and I think there was one (one!) conversation between women in the whole film!

myoriginal3 Wed 21-Dec-16 13:14:47

The scene from stepmom where Julia Roberts and Susan Sarandon are talking about the future of the children and the mom says something like I am their past, you are their future.

janx Wed 21-Dec-16 13:14:54

Thanks - will pass that on to her....have just seen Hidden Figures which is about women working on maths on the NASA space programme with had some maths conversations!

myoriginal3 Wed 21-Dec-16 13:16:11

In fact that other one with Susan Sarandon where they drive off a cliff?

AradiasDaughter Wed 21-Dec-16 13:17:10

Practical Magic. An entire film where 2 independent women talk to each other and have no need for men

northender Wed 21-Dec-16 13:17:41

Rizzoli & Isles is brilliant & loved by both our dc, ds(15) & dd(12). It's one programme (although a bit gruesome in places, murder storylines) that I have felt completely at ease with them watching from a femininist pov. Strong male role models too but the central characters are 2 strong, independent women.

northender Wed 21-Dec-16 13:18:40

Sorry, meant strong male characters, not role models

Justwondering1 Wed 21-Dec-16 13:18:48

Thelma and Louise

Pestilence13610 Wed 21-Dec-16 13:19:17

The Devil wears Prada, strangely enough.

JosephineMaynard Wed 21-Dec-16 13:32:33

Bridesmaids

OneFlewOverTheDodosNest Wed 21-Dec-16 13:59:51

Another non film - Buffy was my teenage icon, the outfits have dated dreadfully which is half the fun, also the Gilmore Girls.

Why is tv so much better at this than films?

tribpot Wed 21-Dec-16 14:08:08

Well Ghostbusters (2016 version) of course, certainly not the original.

But they are few and far between. Faith, yes Rogue One only just squeaks through the Bechdel test - and the lack of speaking (and non-speaking) parts played by women compares very unfavourably with The Force Awakens.

RhodaBull Wed 21-Dec-16 14:11:20

Whatever Happened to Baby Jane? !!!!

PoochSmooch Wed 21-Dec-16 14:15:56

The Hunger Games!

Katniss has scenes with: her mum, Prim, Rue, Effie, Coin, Johanna, Mags and Cressida, and they're only rarely talking about men. I'm sure there's more I've forgotten. There's one scene in the fourth movie where it is all women discussing battle tactics, and it is brilliant, but then they wreck it by having a bloke come up with the answer they go with. So close! But overall, the movies are the biggest Bechdel test pass I've seen in a long time.

myoriginal3 Wed 21-Dec-16 14:15:57

m.youtube.com/watch?v=QIJRim7z8s0

This is the scene I'm talking about.

KickAssAngel Wed 21-Dec-16 14:20:38

I haven't watched it in years, but does Cagney & Lacey count?

It's probably horribly dated, but if I recall the single one enjoys a full sex life with no guilt, and the married one has all the usual stress of having kids and a full-on job, but her husband actually does as much with the kids as her because you have to if your wife's a cop. Plus,, they're 2 women working in a tough environment who take no shit.

KickAssAngel Wed 21-Dec-16 14:26:36

I remember watching Stepmom when I was home sick one day. at first I thought it was a typical romcom, but trying to be a bit 'edgy' by being about a second marriage. Then it gradually develops so that it's more about the women and their roles. It has some stereotypes about the whole 'women are mothers and that defines them' but it also deals with some hard facts. If I remember right, (SPOILER ALERT) Julia Roberts loses her job because she has to look after the kids and can't put in the hours needed at work. That's so true, and something that the whole 'lean in' philosophy just doesn't deal with.

Bambamrubblesmum Wed 21-Dec-16 14:29:42

Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe

Colour Purple

DeviTheGaelet Wed 21-Dec-16 14:33:17

Gone with the wind grin

KickAssAngel Wed 21-Dec-16 14:45:10

Actually, the whole detective genre, although riddled with stereotypes, does pretty well. The focus is on the mystery, not romance, and there are several female detectives such as Miss Marple or other pairs (wasn't Rosemary & Thyme or something one) which have worked well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now