Talk

Advanced search

Powerful letter from a sexual assault victim to her assailant has gone viral.

(9 Posts)
Destinysdaughter Sun 18-Dec-16 20:38:56

I found this young woman's letter incredibly moving and wanted to share it on here.

https://www.indy100.com/article/woman-s-open-letter-to-man-who-tried-to-rape-her-viral-rape-culture-7482596

Destinysdaughter Sun 18-Dec-16 20:39:08

www.indy100.com/article/woman-s-open-letter-to-man-who-tried-to-rape-her-viral-rape-culture-7482596

0phelia Sun 18-Dec-16 21:18:05

Wow.
Applauding for her.
How horrific and disgusting an ordeal.

Prawnofthepatriarchy Mon 19-Dec-16 07:21:34

Very well done. I particularly love how she talks about recovering from rape or sexual assault. So often we hear how a rape has wrecked someone's life. Obviously in the short term this is likely to be true. However in the longer term, I like many other victims, have completely recovered, though obviously I don't forget.

DameDeDoubtance Mon 19-Dec-16 07:34:44

Same here Prawn, and that's not saying that every one could. or should, it's just no longer something I think about all the time and it doesn't police my behaviour anymore, if that makes any sense.

Prawnofthepatriarchy Mon 19-Dec-16 07:43:14

I never think about it now. It's literally only when the topic of rape comes up. And I totally get what you're saying about it not policing my behaviour.

I think it helped that both times I kept thinking "this is rape". Afterwards I was a bit angry with myself at being too trusting but I also felt pleased that my reaction meant I had got away uninjured in any other way. I worked on the basis that although one of the men had a knife I guessed that all he wanted was sex with as little bother as possible. So I lay limp and waited. Got away unstabbed. Tbh, I felt I'd done well.

user1475253854 Mon 19-Dec-16 14:07:02

flowers Prawn and Dame.

An incredible woman. I sometimes find those titles a bit click bait-y - the letter from the woman in the Brock Turner case was presented in the same way - but they were both so powerful.

DameDeDoubtance Mon 19-Dec-16 16:45:05

You survived Prawn, a victory! The world can be a brutal place and you survived, kudos!

LuluLovesFruitcakes Mon 19-Dec-16 18:18:33

That was the most powerful and heartbreaking thing I think I've ever read. And so, so spot on.

When my turn comes around, I can only hope I can stand up in court half as strong as her.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now