Talk

Advanced search

"Baby its cold outside",,a date rape classic ?

(18 Posts)
TDHManchester Sat 17-Dec-16 07:34:49

Not sure if its been discussed but had a quick search and couldnt find anything.
So this story hit the media a couple of weeks ago and i think its original intent was a bit of festive humour.

Two songwriters rewrote the old classic with some modern lines to bring in modern standards of behaviour.

Of course we are ripping apart a song from a different era.

www.huffingtonpost.com/em-and-lo/a-linebyline-take-down-of_b_6334026.html

edition.cnn.com/2016/12/02/us/baby-its-cold-outside-cover-trnd/

EvenTheWind Sat 17-Dec-16 07:48:01

It's not a comfortable song for sure.

TKRedLemonade Sat 17-Dec-16 07:50:41

I think that is a load of Twonkology to steal a phrase from my husband. A prime example of trying to be annoyed about something

Alisvolatpropiis Sat 17-Dec-16 07:52:13

I always thought it was just a couple flirting with each other hmm

HunterHearstHelmsley Sat 17-Dec-16 07:53:00

It's only a "date rape classic' if you are hard of thinking.

ICJump Sat 17-Dec-16 07:53:32

It's a silly song. I mean who hasn't been convinced into a extra drink.
Me 5:30 I'll just have a quick half
Friendsgrinne more
Me930grink one round of shots than home

Hassled Sat 17-Dec-16 07:54:32

I do like the revised version grin.

You're right to point out that it's a song from a different era. Back then it was just a funny song. And looking at the Wiki entry, lots of strong women have sung it - Esther Williams, Ella Fitzgerald, Cerys Matthews; women you don't see as "victims" which I suppose adds to the sense that it's just a funny song. Interestingly, during the first film in which it appeared it was sung twice, with the roles reversed the second time (so the woman was singing "but baby it's cold outside"). But yes, now you look at the lyrics and it's hard not to see anything other than a sexual predator.

Manumission Sat 17-Dec-16 07:55:19

There was a thread somewhere.

MysticTwat Sat 17-Dec-16 07:56:18

I think there is a thread from last year about this.

Manumission Sat 17-Dec-16 07:57:56

This is the recent one(

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/am_i_being_unreasonable/2795938-to-ask-if-we-like-this-Baby-its-cold-outside-Consent-version

The broad consensus was that it's more about social pressure on the woman.

RitaCrudgington Sat 17-Dec-16 08:02:30

"Have some Madeira M'Dear" is a date rape classic (and it knows it is).

Baby It's Cold Outside is playful flirting involving a woman who knows she "shouldn't" have sex with this man, but actually really wants to, and will, and is playing with the sense of transgression. The societal context in which she's discouraged from being honest is dreadful from a feminist perspective, but the relationship between the individual man and woman in question is just fine. I'll grant you that the societal expectations behind the song, that a woman "should" say no to sex that she actually wants, definitely built rape culture, but the woman in the song is not in any trouble.

Manumission Sat 17-Dec-16 08:09:22

"Have some Madeira M'Dear"?

It doesn't sound promising. What era was that?

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Sat 17-Dec-16 08:10:54

Early 60s parodying Edwardian.

Manumission Sat 17-Dec-16 08:11:38

Yeuch. I knew I was right not to google it.

RitaCrudgington Sat 17-Dec-16 08:14:51

It's Flanders and Swann. It's very openly about alcohol assisted rape but it's played for laughs (as is "Tonga" which is equally horrific for modern ears). I think it would have sunk into total obscurity if it wasn't the most well-known example of zeugma in English writing.

LuluLovesFruitcakes Sat 17-Dec-16 08:17:58

It's certainly uncomfortable listening to it. My parents banned it from out house as we were growing up because of its content. And my mother doesn't "believe" in rape culture/date rape/etc even though her attitude contributes too it

LassWiTheDelicateAir Sat 17-Dec-16 18:08:13

I didn't think anything particularly bad about the lyrics but the film clips, both the original and the reversed role section are awful. The male and female preventing the other from leaving are groping, pawing pests.

Tweasels Sat 17-Dec-16 18:14:22

My greatest issue with it is it normalises the idea that it's ok for men to pressure women.

I remember vividly how tiring this was in my late teens, the constant pressure. Men shouldn't think that it's some kind of challenge. It's just simply yes or no.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now