Talk

Advanced search

Video game "Leisure Suit Larry" is a good reminder

(42 Posts)
user1481879196 Fri 16-Dec-16 09:11:04

Its about a 40 year old loser i think who is checking up chicks. In either case i do believe its sad that people hate women too much sometimes, even if its due to provocation and maybe they dont really mean that in society, but its still sort of sad. But basically the game is a good reminder of what happens to perverts. Some females can be that too but there arent nearly as many as men most likely due to biological differences, so society starts to make this normal instead of being decent and good to one another

In either way i just think its sad to be honest.

Just wondering your views about it?

PhilODox Fri 16-Dec-16 09:15:46

Leisure Suit Larry?
Isn't it about 30 years old? I think times have changed (but maybe not as much as we'd hoped)

user1481879196 Fri 16-Dec-16 09:43:45

Yeah, i never played it but i think i may have heard the name as a child, i was mostly busy playing Crash Bandicoot back then. But i look it up on wikipedia and youtube. And it just saddens me that society is changing traditional values.

Because for example. Some will say women are gold diggers and just take money from men. Well if men didnt sleep with people they didnt know and rather did something out of themselves then maybe they'd find better people? It just saddens me that they want to blame each other instead of being better.

PhilODox Fri 16-Dec-16 10:22:21

It saddens you that society is changing traditional values?

What, such as rape in marriage, gay people are sinful and an abomination, women as chattels of their father, brother, or husband?
Those kind of traditional values?

ChocChocPorridge Fri 16-Dec-16 10:29:07

Leisure Suit Larry is the reason I read 'The Hobbit' (and then after, Lord of the Rings) - because you had to know the answer to some Hobbit related question to get past a bit, and in those days there was no internet (this must have been about 1991 - although I think it was old then, because it can only have been EGA graphics, and we had SVGA on our whizzy 486!), so I actually went to the library to get the book and find the answer!

And that's all I have to say about that.. Game was rubbish. Monkey Island way better.

user1481879196 Fri 16-Dec-16 10:53:11

-"What, such as rape in marriage, gay people are sinful and an abomination, women as chattels of their father, brother, or husband?
Those kind of traditional values?-"

Well rape is not ok. Perverts and bad people exists but atleast to not approve of it will lead to a better society of people not wasting their life on being broke and being useless due to their perversion like prostitution etc or internet sexualization or being robbed of it due to sexual perversion in general and being a sad old person who didnt do anything useful in life.

In either case i prefer tradition of decent behavior to be back again.

honeysucklejasmine Fri 16-Dec-16 10:55:37

What do you class as decent behaviour, OP?

user1481879196 Fri 16-Dec-16 10:59:14

Well dressing decently, cotton sweater or jeans is nice.

But i consider being proper person, to not push sexualized stuff in people's faces. But i am more interested in people working together for a more decent loving society.

deydododatdodontdeydo Fri 16-Dec-16 11:06:29

I had this game in 1987. Is it still around?
I remember it had it's critics back in the day, but probably not as many as if it was released now.
Most game players back then were probably teenage boys, many more girls and women play games these days.

SaskiaRembrandtWasFramed Fri 16-Dec-16 11:17:08

I loved Superfrog, best platform game ever! Not sure about the rest of your post, OP, but if you wanted to take a trip down gaming memory lane the Geeky section would have been a better fit.

ChocChocPorridge Fri 16-Dec-16 12:59:10

perversion like prostitution - I think you'll find the perverts are the men who think it's OK to buy women for sex, not the women who are doing (often because nothing else is open to them)

Dervel Fri 16-Dec-16 13:28:49

Ummm I'm struggling to divine a meaning from the original post. Leisure Suit Larry is a video game franchise about a short, unattractive man trying to get laid, which is a reminder of what exactly?

As far as I'm aware it's not a franchise that's particularly popular amongst modern gaming audiences, so I'm not entirely sure if it has a great deal of relevance to the modern cultural zeitgeist.

I think (?) you are making a broader point about men and women understanding one another. Maybe video games can help there, something with an engrossing narrative that uses interactivity and immersion to place one in someone else's shoes.

I've toyed with the idea of using VR to make a broader point about something like street harassment, as you can illustrate what it's like having your personal space invaded in a much more visceral and immediate way than comes across just hearing about it.

GeekLove Fri 16-Dec-16 13:30:04

What exactly do you define by decent behaviour? I always thought that not being a dick to others is a good start. Or are there groups of people exempt from showing decent behaviour or having it shown to them?

user1481879196 Fri 16-Dec-16 13:56:41

:-" What exactly do you define by decent behaviour? I always thought that not being a dick to others is a good start. Or are there groups of people exempt from showing decent behaviour or having it shown to them?"-:

Well for starters don't be rude or talk crude language.

:-"Ummm I'm struggling to divine a meaning from the original post. Leisure Suit Larry is a video game franchise about a short, unattractive man trying to get laid, which is a reminder of what exactly?

As far as I'm aware it's not a franchise that's particularly popular amongst modern gaming audiences, so I'm not entirely sure if it has a great deal of relevance to the modern cultural zeitgeist.

I think (?) you are making a broader point about men and women understanding one another. Maybe video games can help there, something with an engrossing narrative that uses interactivity and immersion to place one in someone else's shoes.

I've toyed with the idea of using VR to make a broader point about something like street harassment, as you can illustrate what it's like having your personal space invaded in a much more visceral and immediate way than comes across just hearing about it.:-"
Basically what you said. I agree.

:-" perversion like prostitution - I think you'll find the perverts are the men who think it's OK to buy women for sex, not the women who are doing (often because nothing else is open to them):-"

There is such a thing as common sense, sure sex trafficking is bad but alot do it out of choice too. But in either case men are much more perverted because of biological stupidity which they dont learn from. So i would advice not to call men pigs just because of mistakes of having sex with prostitutes, however you sure as heck get broke and you waste your life on stuff you shouldn't be doing in the first place. Considering males exists for breeding and mounting stuff to spread their seeds biologically, but they can learn to not be pigs aswell, women its easier they can think perverted and be it mentally but not in terms of putting a penis inside another one where its hormones and desires comes into it when you look at something good that you want.(Which is not recommended)

ChocChocPorridge Fri 16-Dec-16 14:12:55

men pigs just because of mistakes of having sex with prostitutes

We certainly disagree on that - and they didn't fall and accidentally pay a woman for consent, they intentionally went and did it. It's not a mistake, it's bad behaviour

There is such a thing as common sense, sure sex trafficking is bad but alot do it out of choice too

sex-crimes.laws.com/prostitution/prostitution-statistics

Not true, and 'choice' is very relative. The choice to starve or have sex for food - as happens to many women on the streets - is not a choice.

TeaPleaseLouise Fri 16-Dec-16 14:21:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MistressMerryWeather Fri 16-Dec-16 14:28:30

What?

TeaPleaseLouise Fri 16-Dec-16 14:37:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MistressMerryWeather Fri 16-Dec-16 14:40:47

Sorry, Tea I meant the OP. grin

MistressMerryWeather Fri 16-Dec-16 14:41:11

But yes.

What?

Dervel Fri 16-Dec-16 14:46:06

I may be wrong, but I get the feeling English isn't the OP's first language.

HeroOfFerelden Fri 16-Dec-16 14:56:00

Am I missing something here? What point are you trying to make exactly, and what does a decades old DOS game have to do with anything?

PinkiePiesCupcakes Fri 16-Dec-16 14:56:52

men are much more perverted because of biological stupidity
women its easier they can think perverted

so you think a perverted man is stupid and a perverted woman is fine?
just because one has a penis and the other doesn't that somehow makes the same acts different in your view?

EvenTheWind Fri 16-Dec-16 15:01:02

"short, unattractive man trying to get laid, which is a reminder of what exactly?"

Saturday night in my local?

fgrin

EvenTheWind Fri 16-Dec-16 15:01:57

Is it time to talk about Jet Set Willy yet?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now