Talk

Advanced search

Sexism on the apprentice

(27 Posts)
Mamaka Thu 08-Dec-16 23:58:03

I'm really annoyed about this and probably won't express it very articulately but I'd like to know if this is a valid point.

I just watched the Apprentice, Trishna got fired for being grumpy. Trishna was a good candidate, certainly better than the two women she was up against. But she was fired because she "got the hump" when something went wrong.

Am I right in thinking that this is because women are held to a much MUCH higher expectation when it comes to mood and attitude than men are? She was expected to be sweet and smiley and pleasant when things were going wrong. Paul on the other hand was angry and aggressive right from the start and only after several weeks got fired for shouting really intimidatingly at a team mate.

caroldecker Fri 09-Dec-16 00:23:48

I think that the fact that 5 of the 6 remaining candidates are female suggests this is not a sexist process.

AnchorDownDeepBreath Fri 09-Dec-16 00:27:56

She was fired for colouring the gin wrongly; getting drunk and being hungover and moody the next morning. It wasn't really as simple as having the hump.

I don't think any of them were sweet and smiley, but I also think she was the weakest of the lot and deserved to go tonight.

Mamaka Fri 09-Dec-16 00:31:07

"I think that the fact that 5 of the 6 remaining candidates are female suggests this is not a sexist process."

Really - and it's just very convenient that the remaining girls are very pretty.

Mamaka Fri 09-Dec-16 00:33:22

Maybe Anchor. I thought Grainne was rubbish and she also got pissed and didn't pick up the phone! I guess from what they showed it didn't seem like Trishna's mood was the reason for the failure of the task like they were painting it to be.

Lilmisskittykat Fri 09-Dec-16 00:37:42

The guy last week got fired for being moody and argumentative.

Mamaka Fri 09-Dec-16 00:40:26

Ok. But he was also consistently shit. I'm prepared to try and look at it from a different point of view... maybe my own experiences of being expected to simper and smile are colouring my view grin

PenguinsandPebbles Fri 09-Dec-16 00:41:21

IMO she was fired because she got pissed and then was hungover and made bad business decisions. The other two are really not much better, I would have fired the one who also got pissed but in this case the right person was fired (as she chose to colour the gin) and think it really has nothing to do with sexism.

If it had been the other team, I'm 90% sure the bloke would have gone, because he was useless but they won the task so sadly he stays. Pretty sure he will be gone soon enough... unless he has a great business plan and Alan sugar has decided he was going to win weeks ago

Mamaka Fri 09-Dec-16 00:53:15

You all seem to be seeing something I can't! I really liked Trishna.

Expecting women to be in a good mood all the time and never complain or be angry is an actual thing though, right?

PenguinsandPebbles Fri 09-Dec-16 01:42:12

It's because you liked her I think, you therefore are seeing her positives more than her negatives and if Alan Sugar had liked her, seen something in her then maybe she would have stayed as his decision may have been swayed by a gut instinct and thought that she screwed up this time, but next time she would be "better"

Have to admit I've not watched it with too much intent this time as I find it so embarrassing that people think decent business people act like that! So I judged her only on today.

Most men in business will deny it, but most business decisions are made with an element of an emotive response or gut instinct. However, you do mostly look at facts and then make a decision based on that.

I've worked in a male dominated industry since I left uni, and worked my way up from assistant to run my own company over a span of nearly 20 years god that's depressing and makes me feel really old

I have certainly worked in companies where sexism was both subtle and horrendous, I've had to deal with some very sexist pigs as a supplier so I don't think it isn't a thing.

Your comments have certainly made me think.

amispartacus Fri 09-Dec-16 09:30:46

Sexism on the Apprentice - no shit grin

I remember a Caravan episode. One of the male contestants told the female team member to go on the 'stand' to attract male customers as she was 'eye candy'.

MoonfaceAndSilky Fri 09-Dec-16 09:39:07

Really - and it's just very convenient that the remaining girls are very pretty

I think you are seeing things that aren't there.

As Penguins said, the bloke would have gone if he'd been on the losing team - he can't seem to grasp that he can't talk to an audience <cringe>

Inthenick Fri 09-Dec-16 09:44:51

Damnit! Should have assumed there would be a spoiler.

But I wanted to post this post so many times! A few of the male candidates are clearly deeply and disgustingly sexist. They talk over the female candidates, dismiss any of their areas of expertise in favour of one of the other men and fucking cut them off when speaking regularly!!!! I have NEVER had to put up with any sexism in my professional life but have been shocked at this show.

Can't think of their names now but there's a couple in particular that should be ashamed of themselves.

amispartacus Fri 09-Dec-16 10:11:38

And at the start - it's always 'the boys team and the girls'team'. Why not privately educated vs state school, Northerners vs Southerners.

And as for grooming expectations. Ridiculous.

Lottapianos Fri 09-Dec-16 12:54:31

It was Courtney's behaviour last night that really got on my nerves - talking over Alana and Jessica all the time, telling Alana that there would be no-one to 'sanity check' her work if she was working alone. He would never EVER have said that to a man! She actually laughed in his face at one point as his treatment of her was so ridiculous. I thought it was fair that Trishna went last night as she got the colour of the gin wrong and then refused to consider changing it when challenged by the Tesco team.

By contrast, an episode of MasterChef the other evening had the only female chef (who was also very young) in charge of four male chefs. They all listened to her and asked for her advice when things were going wrong. They worked as a team and were supportive of each other. Such a contrast to The Apprentice

OohhThatsMe Fri 09-Dec-16 13:16:26

I don't understand why the pink gin lot last night didn't have a coloured bottle instead of coloured gin. Why do they never think that if virtually no gin is coloured, theirs will be a huge success? Similarly when the guy said he'd never had to flavour gin with raspberries, they all thought they were being unique instead of thinking, "OK, this did occur to other manufacturers but they decided not to do it..."

WritersBlockk Fri 09-Dec-16 23:25:36

Trisha deserved to be fired. She was argumentative and unprofessional. Nothing to do with her gender she was the weakest of the losing team.

Bumbledumb Sat 10-Dec-16 00:40:19

OohhThatsMe, you've mixed up the drinks. The team with the raspberry flavoured gin didn't colour it and sold £71,400 pounds worth of it to the retailers.
It was the spiced gin, that Trishna coloured orange, which lost.

Fruitcocktail6 Sat 10-Dec-16 21:14:54

Several men this series have been fired for being aggressive, moody and rude. I think the male candidates in the show have been sexist, however they're all gone now and Courtney is the weak link.

Also, Trishna deserved to be fired.

HomeShapedBox Sat 10-Dec-16 21:18:47

Alan Sugar made the right decision to fire her, I'm surprised he didn't fire the Irish lass aswell, 19 missed calls from the subteam who needed info was unacceptable, they were too busy getting pissed and Francis was on her own!

Anagram123 Tue 13-Dec-16 20:50:02

I did like a Trishna because she held her ground most of the time. I thought she might've won too. I think Alana has been treated really badly in this series. Everyone talks down to her, probably because she is one of the quieter, younger, less cut-throat ones in this series. I suppose I sort of see myself in her. Though I think if I were her by now, I would tell those people where to go, but I guess professionalism is key..

sleepingkoala Wed 14-Dec-16 06:16:48

She got fired mainly for colouring the gin. And I think she did make a big mistake when she refused to change the colour in the pitch. The project manager on that task should have been fired too as they both got drunk, missed the calls. And she went with the initial decision to colour the gin and also showed a lack of ideas and leadership in that particular task it's true.

Trishna's team went in quite hard with getting the point across about her being moody and bringing the group down. Men in the past have been fired for being moody too. Paul slipped through the net the first time his moodiness was brought up but I don't think it was to do with sexism it was just what Alan Sugar happened to go with for that decision and someone else was worse or got more blame put on them or whatever. Paul ended up being very aggressive in the end actually in the board room and rightly got fired but the fact he survived for so many weeks was more just that it wasn't brought up again until then for whatever reason and others were more to blame according to everyone.

Funnily enough Trishna actually made a sexist comment in one of the previous episodes which annoyed me. She said in the board room one time that she has remained together throughout the process so far and none of the other women have. It was so sexist. Like she needed to mention gender for no reason and bring the other women down when it didn't even make sense. Trishna actually reminds me of Paul especially with that comment. the way he also continuously criticised others for acting too emotional or saying they are all like kids yet he is the one being angry, not doing anything and bringing the group down. Trishna also had that kind of outlook I think.

sleepingkoala Wed 14-Dec-16 06:19:21

I mean judging by that comment she made anyway.

sleepingkoala Wed 14-Dec-16 06:34:46

Sorry I should have said I do think the project manager should have been fired over Trishna actually on that task as she was meant to be in charge but I think they probably both should have gone (and i don't like Trishna mainly since that comment) but was very surprised the project manager (can't remember her name) didn't get fired.

LadySpratt Wed 14-Dec-16 06:57:02

Piano I can only imagine that Courtney must have a cracking business plan. I agree with you about the comment to Alana, and I think she handled it well. I'm pulling up a seat in anticipation of seeing him fall this week. Can't stand the guy.
As for Masterchef - yep, they have all been through similar training to get where they are and are used to working as a team. Very different to the Apprentice where they're mostly puffed up. What sport!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now