Green Party are at it again

(81 Posts)
HermioneWeasley Mon 21-Nov-16 19:41:03

We are "non males" again

Xenophile Mon 21-Nov-16 19:41:47

Yup, women are just defective men

<nods>

conserveisposhforjam Mon 21-Nov-16 19:43:42

Is there really NO-ONE in the greens talking about this? It's just so wrong...

And why aren't men non-females anyway?

SpeakNoWords Mon 21-Nov-16 19:44:08

"Non-male"" ffs... strange how men are never "non-women" though.

TheVermiciousKnid Mon 21-Nov-16 19:47:03

Right, it's definitely time to cancel my Green party membership.

MorrisZapp Mon 21-Nov-16 19:48:21

Is that post a wind up? What the fuck does non male actually mean?

HermioneWeasley Mon 21-Nov-16 19:48:34

Yes, we are defined by our defective maleness, because being a man is the default human

TigersOfAlexpolis Mon 21-Nov-16 19:55:40

I think non-women have totally lost the plot.

FreshwaterSelkie Mon 21-Nov-16 20:00:23

Non-male, ffs.

They wouldn't give a shit if women objected, but has anyone pointed out to them that in the rush to be right-on, they've also chucked trans men under the bus?

I'd have thought that group would be very under represented in politics.

MrsWooster Mon 21-Nov-16 20:03:25

knid before you resign, can you ask wtf they are thinking?

VestalVirgin Mon 21-Nov-16 20:04:12

Well, this is clearly just for teh trans - no actual woman would want to travel to Istanbul in the current political climate there.

German Greens are apparently at least polite enough to address their audience as "Women, men, not-men", if I recall it correctly.
(It was no "ladies and gentleman" speech but more of a "we have such great women, and men, and not-men")

LaPharisienne Mon 21-Nov-16 20:04:30

Huh?!

Is this an attempt to be inclusive? I suspect a ham-fisted such attempt by a non-native English speaker...

Xenophile Mon 21-Nov-16 20:05:38

Nope, this is a "thing" for the Greens now.

Although I do sincerely wish you were right LaPharisienne

conserveisposhforjam Mon 21-Nov-16 20:05:41

I just don't understand how - in all the critical thinking about gender which is clearly taking place in the Green Party to generate this kind of shit - no-one has seen that the reason there is a demand for 'non-male' and, apparently, no demand for 'non-female' is precisely because 'non-male' is a product of male privilege. It just seems so bloody obvious!

LuisCarol Mon 21-Nov-16 20:05:57

Is that part of the Green Party?

HumphreyCobblers Mon 21-Nov-16 20:06:48

They have form for this LaPharisienne.

I thought they may have learned better but it appears not.

venusinscorpio Mon 21-Nov-16 20:10:12

Fucking idiots.

LuisCarol Mon 21-Nov-16 20:40:14

According to the FYEG website (that has produced this) "FYEG is the European umbrella organisation for Young Green organisations from all over the continent, from Georgia to Ireland and from Cyprus to Norway." (i.e. it's not The Green Party)

The website does not seem to link to or mention the UK Green Party or the Young Greens, (the youth wing of the UK Green Party).

The UK Green Party and the Young Greens websites also do not seem to mention FYEG that I can find, although wikipedia says Young Greens are "affiliated to" FYEG.

HermioneWeasley Mon 21-Nov-16 20:41:56

UK Green Party have used this term before

Prawnofthepatriarchy Mon 21-Nov-16 20:53:44

This is just more fucking bollocks. I'm getting sick and tired of all this. angrysad

0phelia Mon 21-Nov-16 20:54:40

WTF can't they just say "female"?
Are they scared to say female or something?
Is female a new taboo?

HermioneWeasley Mon 21-Nov-16 21:13:40

I'm afraid so ophelia saying "women" when referring to things like periods, abortion, FGM, pregnancy, breastfeeding etc is terribly upsetting, sorry, triggering for women who identify as men and men who identify as women.

So we talk about "people" who need abortions, and "birthing individuals" and the fundamental role of female biology in women's inequality and oppression gets erased.

IAmAmy Mon 21-Nov-16 21:16:09

As has been said, they've used "non-men" before, I think they or a group of theirs decreed that term had to be used not "women" though not sure the party adopted it as a whole. It's just ridiculous, I find it incredibly frustrating this pandering to a certain faction.

On what I believe to be a similar note I've even been told off at my school's Feminist Society before for talking about abortion rights and periods as affecting women hmm

DeviTheGaelet Mon 21-Nov-16 21:23:37

Wish there was an eye roll emoticon.
The bit where it says "to counter white males domination in politics" comes across to me as if they are also lumping BAME men in as non-male. Idiots.

conserveisposhforjam Mon 21-Nov-16 22:11:12

Someone told me they have to have a man and a woman on every decision making panel? Only now it's a man (man) and a non-male (might have used to have been a man) and therefore two people who have grown up with male privilege. So that's alright then. hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now