Talk

Advanced search

Bono wins a Glamour woman of the year award

(65 Posts)
Felascloak Tue 01-Nov-16 20:53:03

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/bono-is-the-first-man-on-glamours-women-of-the-year-list/

Apparently Glamour decided this year to run a "Man of the year" category in the "Woman of the year" awards confused

I can't decide if it's a necessary step to try to raise more publicity after last year's Caitlyn Jenner award, or if they are just idiots.

Here's an inspirational quote
Bono said in a statement Tuesday from Glamour that the battle for gender equality won’t be won unless men step up and lead alongside women.

Felascloak Tue 01-Nov-16 20:53:26

www.cbsnews.com/news/bono-is-the-first-man-on-glamours-women-of-the-year-list/

WinchesterWoman Tue 01-Nov-16 20:54:24

I didn't think it was possible for him to be more irritating. Obviously I was wrong.

I'm going with B. - idiots.

Lottapianos Tue 01-Nov-16 20:56:41

Just saw this on Facebook. What the actual blue fuck is going on? Caitlin Jenner was bad enough, now this utter plum who is many things, but a woman ain't one of them. Dear lord

DurhamDurham Tue 01-Nov-16 20:56:57

Shame on Glamour and shame on Bono, imaging how insufferable he's going to be now. He's been a pretentious prat for years and indulging him like this will only make matters worse.

BeattieBowRisenFromTheDead Tue 01-Nov-16 20:59:23

Saw this not long ago and honestly, I just laughed. It's funny. They're insane.

Of course it's not really that funny as it's going to come back to bite them and all the rest of us in the arse. But the idiocy is so bewildering that it's funny.

Twogoats Tue 01-Nov-16 21:01:33

They might as well give it to Donald Trump for all it's worth now!

FrancesHaHa Tue 01-Nov-16 21:04:52

What?

What we're Glamour thinking deciding to give a Woman of the Year Award to a tax avoiding man?

gunting Tue 01-Nov-16 21:05:31

Oh what a joke. His statement there is infuriating.

Xenophile Tue 01-Nov-16 21:07:15

A load of old bollocks.

Literally.

marvelousdcomics Tue 01-Nov-16 21:19:17

WTAF????

M0stlyHet Tue 01-Nov-16 22:26:09

Felas - the "inspirational quote immediately put me in mind of this:
Man finally put in charge of struggling feminist movement. (I thought Bono had plumbed the depths of self-parody many years ago, but apparently there were speleological depths he hadn't explored yet!)

RufusTheSpartacusReindeer Tue 01-Nov-16 22:57:20

What a twat

Shitty magazine anyway.

Makes me want to punch something angry

If only i could be arsed to get off the sofa

TSSDNCOP Tue 01-Nov-16 23:08:43

I think his wife had the right response with "Eh? I still think you have some work to do"

Glamour Editor: prize twat

shins Wed 02-Nov-16 06:48:45

Fucking idiots.
Bono is not going to win any feminist awards, I'd be zapped for saying why but people in Dublin know different!

Felascloak Wed 02-Nov-16 07:16:09

M0stly - exactly! grin

Prawnofthepatriarchy Wed 02-Nov-16 07:52:41

My late DH used to work with him. Said he was a sanctimonious twat.

ChangedDaily Wed 02-Nov-16 08:00:32

Meh. It's not like they're saying he's "the" WOTY - he's one amongst many of the people they're choosing to use for publicity honour. And if his developing world poverty work has been focused on women and girls recently (I had no idea) then why shouldn't he get something? (barring any specific dodgy personal sexist behaviour which I agree should rule him out).

Pink News has been doing a Straight Ally of the Year for ages - there's recently been a huge fuss about it being Cameron.

ChardonnayKnickertonSmythe Wed 02-Nov-16 08:04:14

They've clearly ran out of inspirational women.
None to be found for love or money.

Last time I bought it was then they had a `Clinique freebie, TBF.

Felascloak Wed 02-Nov-16 08:08:00

Pink News has been doing a Straight Ally of the Year for ages - there's recently been a huge fuss about it being Cameron

I think if they called it "male ally of the year" I would be fine with it.
It's just the whole air of "what gender equality needs is more men" angry

Andcake Wed 02-Nov-16 08:08:35

Infuriated me - I want to know what achieving woman was left off the list to fit him on.
There could be an award for men who make the biggest contribution - feminist man of the year and that wouldn't annoy me.

ArcheryAnnie Wed 02-Nov-16 08:09:10

Well, it's a good thing there isn't a single inspirational woman in the world who could be found worthy for this award, and they simply had to give it to a man, otherwise we'd all be really pissed-off, right?

ArcheryAnnie Wed 02-Nov-16 08:09:19

Well, it's a good thing there isn't a single inspirational woman in the world who could be found worthy for this award, and they simply had to give it to a man, otherwise we'd all be really pissed-off, right?

ArcheryAnnie Wed 02-Nov-16 08:10:14

Apols for double-post!

ChangedDaily Wed 02-Nov-16 08:12:43

I agree they'd have been better off calling it a specific "Brother in Arms" award or "Chap of the Year" or something because it sounds like it's something they'll be doing regularly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now