Talk

Advanced search

Amazing video about beauty magazines, please watch!

(10 Posts)
Destinysdaughter Tue 01-Nov-16 10:32:17

I think this video is incredible, very powerful debunking of the crap we are sold as women about our bodies in women's magazines, please watch, and show it to your daughters!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zIIKTNPP5Ts

IceBeing Tue 01-Nov-16 13:19:33

That is really great! I am not at all surprised by the shame and misery provoking power of these magazines. A perfect case of people choosing to engage in an activity on the assumption it makes them happy when actually the opposite is true.

IceBeing Tue 01-Nov-16 13:20:06

Oh and you should post it in style and beauty if you haven't already star

crispandcheesesanwichplease Tue 01-Nov-16 14:25:21

That's brilliant! Thanks for posting it.

FreshwaterSelkie Tue 01-Nov-16 16:40:36

I like that!

I don't buy women's magazines, haven't for many years. I don't even read them when I'm at the hairdresser's. They make me feel worried, inadequate and fat. Why would I pay to feel that way?! The whole industry baffles me.

FreshwaterSelkie Tue 01-Nov-16 16:41:01

This is my take on it

msrisotto Tue 01-Nov-16 16:47:41

It was ok. Except there is no 'anorexic range', there's underweight though which I guess is what they mean. Plus the list of 'models' with a history of eating disorders included Oprah and the Princess of Sweden.

Destinysdaughter Tue 01-Nov-16 17:36:15

Thanks for the comments! I think it should be mandatory viewing for all teenage girls and young women. Personally I try to avoid those magazines these days but sometimes if I'm at the hairdressers I flick through some.

And then wish I hadn't...😱

Destinysdaughter Tue 01-Nov-16 17:37:15

Don't think I'd dare post it in S&B!!😀

LassWiTheDelicateAir Wed 02-Nov-16 00:23:35

I'm really not convinced women are taken in by these magazines.

I found that video silly and patronising- the fact that these magazines are 3/4 paid content is hardly a revelation.

"70% of women feel guilty, ashamed and depressed after only 3 minutes of reading a fashion magazine" - where does that statistic come from ?

I love clothes- for me clothes are far , far more than just something to keep you warm. I spend a lot of time and money to put together the particular style I want to present but I never buy this type of magazine or even read them at the hairdressers.

I don't not buy them because they make me guilty, ashamed, depressed inadequate or fat but because they are just so utterly and completely stupid and inane.

The non advert content is usually trivial and badly written; the fashion and style content is always written and presented in a generic, gushing , laughably overblown and unrealistic way that is impossible to take seriously. They are nonsense. I think you should credit women with the intelligence to see they are nonsense.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now