Talk

Advanced search

Fatphobia- the unspoken feminist issue

(15 Posts)
user1472582572 Sun 30-Oct-16 14:50:27

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Stormwhale Sun 30-Oct-16 14:52:27

I don't think your neighbours have fat phobia. I think they have massive cunt-itis.

booklooker Sun 30-Oct-16 16:00:44

I think I may suffer from a mild dose of cunt-o-philia.

Though, strangely, I've never really expressed it quite like that

user1472582572 Sun 30-Oct-16 16:11:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Bloopbleep Sun 30-Oct-16 16:14:08

Perhaps you want to rediscover your love of Mongolian throat singing records at loud volume every time you hear them use such language.

Mozfan1 Sun 30-Oct-16 16:17:38

Op that sounds fucking awful. If it were me I would start slagging them off in earshot back. But I'm immature wink

And you're right, your points are valid. Instead of making overweight people feel bad/guilty/shamed, we should be trying to help X

sohackedoff Sun 30-Oct-16 16:25:26

I find it frustrating that people feel they have the right to comment about how others look. At all. There's no need. But then we have a society that has created a pecking order based purely on looks. Who gets to decide?

You could use the old riposte "yes but I can lose weight if I choose - you'll always be ignorant."

pontificationcentral Sun 30-Oct-16 16:26:00

I think if you were skinny as a rake your neighbours would still be shouting obscenities, tbh. I would be considering how you can deal with that - move? Report abuse and harassment?
Your concerns about fat shaming are well documented. I read an interesting blog post this morning on 'fit is a feminist issue' which problematised Tim Gunn's attack on the fashion industry. Even the size acceptance allies can't quite get it right.
It's hardly an undocumented issue, tbh.

KickAssAngel Sun 30-Oct-16 16:28:22

This is an interesting article if you want to read more about it.

LassWiTheDelicateAir Sun 30-Oct-16 16:41:50

Your neighbours are guilty of antisocial behaviour. If the house is in Scotland and they rent it rather than own it their behaviour should be reported to their landlord , who has a statutory duty to control antisocial behaviour (failure to do can and does involve sanctions) and the local authority. I understand there is equivalent English legislation.

This isn't about "fat shaming" - they are antisocial scum, if it weren't this , it would be something else.

museumum Sun 30-Oct-16 16:48:18

Tbh your neighbours sound like the sort who would be calling you a "skinny bitch" if you were a size 8. I'm sure them being so awful has nothing to do with your actual size.

On the broader issue I do think we're all far to single minded about health and weight. I'm a size 12. Fit and healthy. But I have an overweight bmi.
I know it's not "ideal" but given I run regularly, have a resting heart rate of 60 and bp of 120/50 I think I'm ok and more fortunate than most.

OlennasWimple Mon 31-Oct-16 20:30:40

They just sound like nasty bullies TBH

HillaryFTW Mon 31-Oct-16 23:30:54

Sorry your neighbours are shocking.

ChipsForSupper Tue 01-Nov-16 00:40:34

It's interesting that rude people think it's OK to be ostensibly rude to fat people but not to other potentially unhealthy groups of people. For example, people are sometimes loudly disapproving in the presence of smokers but not in a rude way. They may tut or cough but they don't name call or sneer. The same with those who consume too much alcohol. Celebrities who die of issues related to being fat, such as Elvis Presley, are derided, mockedand looked down on whereas those who have died as a result of alcoholism, such as Amy Winehouse, are glorified.

The main reason for this must be society's obsession with looks and appearances. Attractive people are often more valued than those who have intelligence or who are talented in some way. The emphasis on looks is exacerbated for women so fat women are an easy target. Also, in any power hierarchy, those less powerful (in this case, those who are not visually attractive) compete to make themselves feel better by taking advantage of those lower down the scale. So, often, the rudest fat-shamers are quite ugly people.

HelenaDove Tue 01-Nov-16 01:16:56

YY Chips. I used to be ten stone heavier. Ive gone from a size 28 down to a 14. I heard comments in the street and abuse about my weight loads of times back then. I also used to smoke but never got one insult about that.

After the weight loss i had loads of ppl telling me how much better i looked. They are obvs trying to be nice but the inferrence is that i looked like crap before.

There is nothing like losing weight to make you realise how you were/are judged as soon as you walk out of your front door.

And the NHS and the press bang on about obesity all the time. Must make ppl with certain medical conditions feel like shit.

A friends BIL has refused to take steroids as part of his cancer treatment.

God forbid IF i ever become ill i wont be taking steroids either. After all the hard work ive put in and all the moaning i endured about my weight. No chance.

They cant have it both ways.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now