Talk

Advanced search

Wonder woman as UN ambassador for empowering girls and women

(9 Posts)
ftw Sat 22-Oct-16 20:37:51

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-37734623

I have many thoughts around this, but most of them keep circling back to 'what, weren't there any real women available?'.

ftw Sat 22-Oct-16 20:37:58

www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-37734623

franke Sun 23-Oct-16 07:01:31

I've just read about this in the Independent.
www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/wonder-woman-un-honorary-ambassador-empowerment-women-girls-gender-equality-petition-a7374856.html

Remember the EU's campaign from a few years ago 'Science, it's a girl thing' which was roundly criticised and eventually withdrawn? This is similar in its breathtaking failure to 'get the point'. Yes, ftw, why couldn't they find a real woman to front the campaign? I guess it would be too political whereas obviously, a white, americanised, barbie doll objectification of a woman isn't hmm I always wonder who exactly dreams up this stuff and how in the world they landed the job.

franke Sun 23-Oct-16 07:02:41

And really, Wonder Woman? It's just patronising.

tribpot Sun 23-Oct-16 07:14:15

The organisation said the character's appointment was meant to "highlight what we can collectively achieve if women and girls are empowered"

So when do I get my bullet-deflecting wrist bands and my magic lasso? Or do we not get to be empowered like Wonder Woman what with her not existing?

The somewhat weak justification was the need to reach out to 'the kids' - but I can't help thinking there are legions of sports stars, musicians and actors who would have fit the bill. And that is of course assuming that Malala is too busy being awesome to fit it in.

My pick would have been Michelle Obama, given her support for campaigns like Let Girls Learn.

Xenophile Sun 23-Oct-16 07:36:27

The best woman on the planet is a comic book character.

What a fabulous message to give our daughters.

missyB1 Sun 23-Oct-16 07:44:35

It's utterly depressing isn't it? Talk about dumbing down angry

Anniegetyourgun Sun 23-Oct-16 07:52:11

And the best thing about her is, she can't say a word for herself. She can only express on paper the script that someone male has written for her. The perfect woman!

JosephineMaynard Sun 23-Oct-16 08:03:30

'what, weren't there any real women available?'

This. Surely there's some real women out there who'd fit the bill?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now