Has anyone joined the Women's Equality Party despite the "self-indentification" issue?

(13 Posts)
HuckleberryGin Fri 21-Oct-16 17:32:11

Just that really. I really, really want to join because I love the idea and I'm very disillusioned with the Labour party (of which I'm currently a member).

But I think I'm right in that their definition of woman is one of self-identification- so essentially a man in a dress who self identifies? I don't know if I can get round that.

NowtSalamander Fri 21-Oct-16 17:36:57

This is my big issue too. I can't vote for a party that says it's for women when they don't understand that womanhood is biological. I think it's LibDems for me.

zsazsagaboredom Fri 21-Oct-16 18:53:51

I really want to quiz my excellent (much younger) proud WE-party voting colleague about issues of self-identification; I'm trying to determine the best non- confrontation approach...
And Nowt in the past couple of days I've come to something of a conclusion in that I seriously think I'll be voting LibDem next time around (having sworn Never Again after 2010 election. "I agree with Nick"? I felt so ashamed)

LassWiTheDelicateAir Fri 21-Oct-16 19:18:41

I would not be joining them anyway. I actually am a member of 2 parties which I'm sure you are not meant to be but I have different criteria for how I vote in Holyrood elections and Westminster elections.

Elendon Fri 21-Oct-16 19:44:57

I'm a member of the Labour Party and The Cooperative Party.

Elendon Fri 21-Oct-16 19:48:06

There is no way the WE party can stand in each constituency come an election. They would loose all their deposits for a start. That's over half a million pounds.

Elendon Fri 21-Oct-16 19:53:20

Larry Sanders has eaten up the campaign money for the Green Party.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larry_Sanders_(politician)

I'm sure the Green Party will recover.

Elendon Fri 21-Oct-16 19:56:01

What disgusts me is those individuals who stood in this election and then heckled the winner, with the cry of no democracy. Scum!

www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/far-right-boo-jeer-by-election-tribute-jo-cox-batley-and-spen-vote-a7373081.html

RufusTheSpartacusReindeer Fri 21-Oct-16 21:21:45

I think it may be lib dem for me as well

I do want to look at their current policies, dont seem to be able to find them on the website without the blood of my first borh

He is being a bit irritating at the moment so that may not be an issue

SocksRock Fri 21-Oct-16 21:24:51

Lib dem got a decent swing from conservative in the Witney by election yesterday... sounds like others are thinking the same.

Thecontentedcat Fri 21-Oct-16 21:29:07

I'd love to join WE if it was actually for women.

NowtSalamander Fri 21-Oct-16 22:52:44

It's sad - I think they are well meaning women in WE. But they are all media people who started it up without investigating anything about the women's movement that was going on around them - so they weren't expecting debates around the word "women". They'd essentially just read some Caitlin Moran. And they fucked it up, frankly.

Meanwhile Nick Clegg and Tim Farron are saying things I agree with. This is a rare commodity for me in politics at the moment.

LittlePaintBox Sat 22-Oct-16 15:50:35

I get the impression they haven't thought very far beyond the idea that women who want equality will vote for them, but I expect a bit more analysis of the barriers facing women and some kind of plan to overcome them.

No way am I going to join/vote for a 'Women's Party' that is not even prepared to say what they understand a woman to be.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now