DH is 'glad' of verdict

(269 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

HexBramble Sat 15-Oct-16 17:04:51

I'm sickened tbh.
He announced this morning that he is happy and glad that justice has been served and will not listen to reason.
We have 3 daughters. angrysad

HexBramble Sat 15-Oct-16 17:06:30

Don't even know why I'm posting. This case has dominated my thoughts and for someone so close to me so have such abhorrent view....

I'm feeling really off-balance.

tribpot Sat 15-Oct-16 17:10:25

What does he say when you ask how he would feel if it was one of your dds?

Gowgirl Sat 15-Oct-16 17:15:10

My dh husband hadn't been following, he thought it was a case of change mind call rape, he hs been put right and is now pretty disgusted with the whole thing.

HexBramble Sat 15-Oct-16 17:17:43

He doesn't even let me get that far.

I've asked him to actually read up on this case before casting an opinion and he replies "How do you know I already haven't?!"

"You'll only be happy until I agree with you" is another comment I've had.

Soubriquet Sat 15-Oct-16 17:18:53

Drop it

Hard as it is. He won't change his mind and it could ruin your marriage

FourToTheFloor Sat 15-Oct-16 17:19:12

The fact you have dd and your dh still thinks this way would upset me too. We have 2 dd and I'm constantly pointing stuff out to dh. He gets upset and says stop talking like that about dd1/2 but l say that woman is someone's dd too! (Not about this, just general over sexualisation of woman in general)

Sunshineonacloudyday Sat 15-Oct-16 17:21:40

My dp came out with a few reasons why he didn't do it. Try and ask him why without getting emotional because then he won't want to talk to you.

OurBlanche Sat 15-Oct-16 17:22:24

Mine won't even read the details... he just knows that no decent man would have acted as either footballer did that night... or as the men who stepped forward to tell their tales did!

In law CE may have found a technicality (that shames us as a society) but in real life, he is still a low life scum bag and the FA needs to make a statement about appearances... sack a manager because he looked like he was taking a bribe... but still allow a player to play when he was a convicted rapist! OK, that'll be for the good of the game!

And DH doesn't follow football!

exLtEveDallas Sat 15-Oct-16 17:22:31

I thank Christ my DH is in full agreement with me. I just couldn't be with him if he wasn't - he has 2 daughters.

I'm sorry OP, this sort of thing really would be a deal breaker for me, you must feel terrible.

midcenturymodern Sat 15-Oct-16 17:24:53

If someone tells you who they are, believe them.

What does he say when you ask how he would feel if it was one of your dds

I think there is a type of person who believes it never will be their dd (or wife or themselves). There are 'their' women, who are virtuous and sensible and would never get themselves into that sort of situation where they were drunk and asking for it. Then there are the 'other' women, who are basically sluts out to ruin good men. The idea that their women could actually be raped is an alien concept.

Shiningexample Sat 15-Oct-16 17:25:43

He doesn't even let me get that far
thats very telling, suspect that at some level he knows that if he reflected on the issues he'd experience a large amount of cognitive dissonance
I think he's just going with his knee jerk reaction of wanting to laud someone who he see's as an alpha male

he cant even bear to think about how he'd feel if this happened to his daughter=he knows you are right

Sunshineonacloudyday Sat 15-Oct-16 17:26:02

He has been found not guilty of rape he has lost 2 1/2 years of his life for something he didn't do. You have to put it into perspective.

Sunshineonacloudyday Sat 15-Oct-16 17:27:37

Was the friend who was with CE convicted of rape or was it just him.

Soubriquet Sat 15-Oct-16 17:28:22

Fwiw my Dh hasn't read up on it either

When I read him the facts, he shook his head and said "men are disgusting pigs"'

GrouchyKiwi Sat 15-Oct-16 17:28:52

My DH is a solicitor so is a bit more cautious about the case because he hasn't yet read the judgements. He does agree, though, that it all sounds really off from what has been reported in the media.

HexBramble Sat 15-Oct-16 17:30:02

I almost agree with the PP who advised drop it.

I think it could very well spell bad things for this marriage - I'm truly sickened inside. I can't elaborate why, I just am.

AyeAmarok Sat 15-Oct-16 17:32:52

He has been found not guilty of rape he has lost 2 1/2 years of his life for something he didn't do. You have to put it into perspective.

You could think of it that way.

Personally, I'm pretty pleased that he lost two and a half years of his life for treating someone the way he did.

The fact that he managed to convince a jury second time round that there was reasonable doubt that he intentionally raped her is a sign of a fucked up society and legal system. Not that he's innocent of any wrongdoing.

Shiningexample Sat 15-Oct-16 17:35:53

I can't elaborate why, I just am
perhaps there are other issues/incidents which have made you uncomfortable and this latest thing has made you start to 'join the dots'?

HexBramble Sat 15-Oct-16 17:36:53

DH is a big footie fan and would clap hard if CE played on his turf and would probably smirk if someone's
Name was chanted. He's told me that. This isn't the man I thought I'd married sad

HexBramble Sat 15-Oct-16 17:37:48

Yes Shining.

Your post has given me a true lightbulb moment.

God.

KarlosKKrinkelbeim Sat 15-Oct-16 17:39:02

My DH is disgusted by the verdict but then he is an experienced prosecutor of rape and sexual offences.
Perhaps if you tell your dh that he'll change his mind. Sounds like the sort of person who needs to hear something from a man before giving it credibility.

CalmItKermitt Sat 15-Oct-16 17:42:12

Sympathies OP. That must have really shaken you.

MoreKopparbergthanKrug Sat 15-Oct-16 17:42:19

Sweet Jesus. He'd be happy to hear her name chanted? That's really not good...

Soubriquet Sat 15-Oct-16 17:43:32

I know I said move past it earlier but the fact he said he would sit there smirking to hear her name being changed would cause me to lose all respect for him sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now