Talk

Advanced search

So Trump interrupted Hillary 51 times...

(9 Posts)
OlennasWimple Wed 28-Sep-16 14:58:25

I found this article on men interrupting women interesting, if depressing, reading. It's one of my bugbears both professionally and personally.

OverAndAbove Wed 28-Sep-16 15:08:14

I agree! The Washington Post article about the female Ibama aides that it links to is interesting too - "amplifying" points to get them heard, and correctly attributed. It seems to have worked well

I suppose the good point about social media coverage is this kind of quantification. Trump comes across as even more of a twat when it's pointed out...

OverAndAbove Wed 28-Sep-16 15:08:55

Obama, obviously hmm

Xenophile Wed 28-Sep-16 20:28:03

Sadly he doesn't come across like that to people who support him.

According to them, he won the debate, and even if he didn't, it wasn't because he's a fucking wassock, it's because the media are against him hmm and the chair was against him too, because he asked him hard questions and Hillary easy ones.

If I see anyone called Hillary, Killary, again, I might scream. Trump supporters appear to think that acting like a screaming toddler is what politics should look like.

LassWiTheDelicateAir Wed 28-Sep-16 21:18:13

I suppose the good point about social media coverage is this kind of quantification. Trump comes across as even more of a twat when it's pointed out...

I don't think that makes the slightest difference. His supporters are oblivious to it and every one else already knows. It's going to come down to whether sensible Republicans vote for Clinton or abstain.

Absy Wed 28-Sep-16 21:31:16

There was one article saying Trump supporters have Dunning Kruger syndrome, where someone is ignorant but unaware that they are ignorant. Seems about right

I can't even watch clips of the debate; it's just too stressful watching him be such an arse all the time.

Prawnofthepatriarchy Fri 30-Sep-16 09:37:29

Thank you for mentioning the Dunning Kruger effect. I'd never heard of it so looked it up. Very useful concept. I suffer from it the other way. I often assume that what's easy for me must be easy for others, which isn't always true. Mind you, I think a lot of people share that illusion.

Absy Fri 30-Sep-16 11:35:23

There's a counter to Dunning Kruger called imposter syndrome (and I think there's a more official version of it). When someone is an expert or very knowledgeable about a particular subject, they underestimate their own level of knowledge because they assume that it's easy for other people as well

Prawnofthepatriarchy Fri 30-Sep-16 12:07:19

I've heard of imposter syndrome and I suffer from that. Lots of people do, and I've been able to help several friends lacking confidence by pointing out how they underestimate their skills and abilities.

Dunning Kruger as it affects people who don't recognize their ignorance is far rarer, at least in my experience. The people I've known who were markedly more ignorant than average tend to be humble about it, and need encouraging rather than squashing. Donald Trump is a rarity.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now