Talk

Advanced search

News stories reporting

(5 Posts)
SecretSpy Thu 15-Sep-16 17:13:30

Is it just me?

I feel really fed up of women being discussed in the news simply in relation to other people, particularly men.

I've just read about a tragic shooting in London. The victims are named as 'a mother of nine and nephew'
Why not named as xx, a woman from abc borough.

If it was a man in the same circumstances, would it be the main descriptor, that it's a dad who has been killed? Or are they men first and fathers second.

flowers And condolences to the family of course.

SecretSpy Thu 15-Sep-16 17:16:27

And my personal anecdata, my mum's death was locally reported (quite a while ago, I admit, as 'Wife dies in xyz' and all I could think was wife? That's what matters is it, she was a wife to a real person, someone with testicles. She was a person in her own right ffs not an add-on.

VestalVirgin Thu 15-Sep-16 17:57:40

I noticed that too. The worst thing was when a woman was killed by her (ex?) husband, and her mother was referred to as "mother in law". Horrid!

deydododatdodontdeydo Fri 16-Sep-16 08:42:38

It happens to women more, but men aren't immune to it.
"Dad of 3 dies in..." is surely a headline we've all seen.
Shoddy journalism, but what do we expect?

Ohflippinheck Fri 16-Sep-16 08:44:51

In this case the man is secondary to her. He is simply 'nephew'. So I don't think this is a gender thing at all, it's just the accepted way of writing headlines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now