Car garage aims to attract more women by offering...

(22 Posts)
NotMyRealName2015 Thu 18-Aug-16 20:56:45

Free manicures!

Yes really.

www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/14685369.MOTs_and_manicures_offered_to_women_at_Carterton_car_centre/

From the article:

We have come up with a few ideas to make females more interested in bringing their cars in for an MOT and making the business more female friendly. As well as manicures, women can also enjoy a massage while their car is MOT'd at the centre

Now i will be the first to admit that i know very little about cars. That's why i want to take my car to a garage with trustworthy, knowledgable members of staff who can explain things (when asked) and offer a reliable service without being patronising, smarmy or lechourous.

I couldn't give a shit about fucking manicures!!!

Do they really believe this will actually make women feel more "comfortable"? Or is just a ploy to distract the silly little women by making them think they've got a good deal when they're charged £300 to top the oil up?

They're also offering car maintence classe for women, teaching skills such as how to change a tyre...Presumably without ruining the manicure you've just had confused

Mide7 Thu 18-Aug-16 21:15:13

A woman only car maintenance class seems like a great idea to me

sentia Thu 18-Aug-16 21:42:44

They could try hiring some mechanics who aren't men? I think a more diverse group of employees would be better placed to help them understand what a diverse clientele might actually want.

Xenophile Thu 18-Aug-16 22:40:41

I'd have to agree with the maintenance classes, as women might not have learned these skills when younger in the same way as boys tend to. I'm all for the German idea of knowing basic maintenance anyway, if you drive, you should be able to top up fluids, oil, change a tyre etc. Some women will feel more comfortable asking questions without a bunch of men jeering at them for not knowing things as well.

The manicures are bollocks though

LassWiTheDelicateAir Fri 19-Aug-16 01:01:36

Or is just a ploy to distract the silly little women

Devised apparently , or at least approved, by other women ? The article quotes a Sarah Scott Stovold of Carterton Auto Repair.

Carterton Auto Repair Ltd has 1 director, Philip Scott the shareholders are Philip and Elizabeth Scott.

LassWiTheDelicateAir Fri 19-Aug-16 01:28:48

I'm assuming Sarah Scott-Stovold is the daughter of the mechanic Philip Scott in the photograph and that this is probably her brainchild, given she's behind the "female only networking group" in the link below.

Carterton residents set up first female-only networking group for International Women's Day (From The Oxford Times)
m.oxfordtimes.co.uk/news/14307240.Raising_a_glass_to_networking_event_for_women_s_day/?ref=mr&lp=13

deydododatdodontdeydo Fri 19-Aug-16 07:43:19

Do they really believe this will actually make women feel more "comfortable"?

Despite the wishes of everyone on this forum, it probably will.
Our local school's "friends of" group (all women) regularly does fund raising events, always pamper evenings, manicures, etc.
They are immensely popular.

deydododatdodontdeydo Fri 19-Aug-16 07:44:22

(In fact, come to think of it, they rarely do anything to try and target the males!).

EnquiringMingeWantsToKnow Fri 19-Aug-16 07:50:05

There's an awful lot of hanging around involved at garages. I personally would like them to deal with the tedium with free WiFi and a Pokestop, but there's no doubt that "You're going to have to wait here for half an hour, but at least you can make use of the time by getting your nails done" makes good logistics sense for the fairly large number of women who are in the market for a professional manicure. I think it's quite ingenious.

vesuvia Fri 19-Aug-16 14:00:39

A free manicure for me?

I'd prefer a free MOT for my car.

MapleandPear Fri 19-Aug-16 14:17:07

How much maintenance can you actually do on modern cars anyway? All my car has needed is refilling the water spray, hasn't even needed oil yet.

As for things like changing a tyre, I've done that with DH and frankly I'd feel safer getting the AA out if I was on my own somewhere.

MapleandPear Fri 19-Aug-16 14:23:03

I'd find it too weird for a garage to have a mini spa attached. It's too opposite.

JenLindley Fri 19-Aug-16 14:27:11

shock

I'd rather have a coffee shop and free wifi if I have to hang around. Nails?? hmm

VestalVirgin Fri 19-Aug-16 14:30:26

Weird.

What would make me feel more comfortable:

- Female mechanics
- Honesty about what repairs cost, what maintenance is required how often, etc. and an ability to explain this to people who know little about cars.

Women only car maintenance classes (taught by a woman, I'd hope!) are a good idea, actually, but I certainly don't need a manicure.

MapleandPear Fri 19-Aug-16 14:34:52

A female on reception at least, so you don't feel outnumbered. In some garages, a reception area itself would be good.

powershowerforanhour Fri 19-Aug-16 14:59:18

Not putting the wheelnuts on so tightly that you need wrists of steel to change a tyre would be great.

LassWiTheDelicateAir Fri 19-Aug-16 15:21:57

How much maintenance can you actually do on modern cars anyway? All my car has needed is refilling the water spray, hasn't even needed oil yet

As for things like changing a tyre, I've done that with DH and frankly I'd feel safer getting the AA out if I was on my own somewhere

I agree. AA membership is peanuts - why on earth would I do that myself? My husband wouldn't either - his view is they have the proper tools and know what they are doing.

So far as hanging around in garages- I drop the car off for its MOT in the morning, go to work and collect it in the evening when it's done. No hanging about required.

The MOT price and service are displayed in big writing at the check in desk and ahreed when the car is booked in. At some point during the day the mechanic will phone and tell me it's passed or failed.

If it's failed they have always told me the minimum I need to make it pass plus a list of optional things which I might want done. If I don't understand the jargon I ask them to explain, which they do. I'm at a loss to see why it would be a better experience if the mechanic possessed a vagina.

LassWiTheDelicateAir Fri 19-Aug-16 15:23:42

A female on reception at least, so you don't feel outnumbered

Why? It's an MOT, Not a smear test.

JenLindley Fri 19-Aug-16 19:01:14

Lass I don't know what it is about you but I only seem to notice your name when I check to see who has made that arsey dismissive post on yet another feminist board thread.

It doesn't matter whether it's an MOT or a smear, it can be overwhelming going into an all male environment as a woman to be talked at about stuff you possibly know nothing about and are at the mercy of these people to get your car passed without ripping the arm out of you at the same time. Great for you if that's not an issue you've had but plenty of women do and that is backed up by the fact that This particular garage have deemed it necessary to make their business a more attractive place for female customers.

Here you go lass you're most likely right that you're being treated fairly by your garage in Edinburgh. Not so for women in other cities though.

I'd not want a manicure at a garage. I'd want a polite and knowledgable mechanic who did the job well and with honesty. Ideally with a side order of not patronising or ignoring me.

LassWiTheDelicateAir Fri 19-Aug-16 22:56:04

Jen I despair of this type of poor little women, everything is so intimidating threads. Driving a car is not easy and can be very intimidating; booking an MOT and asking for the price isn't. They are tradespeople, same as any other.

and that is backed up by the fact that This particular garage have deemed it necessary to make their business a more attractive place for female customers

And they are getting criticised for doing it in the wrong way.

Xenophile Fri 19-Aug-16 22:58:24

Luckily, I have the proper tools.

<basks in mechanical glory>

AA membership might be peanuts for some, certainly isn't for us.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now