We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Unisex dressing up box

(28 Posts)
n0ne Sun 14-Aug-16 12:51:41

Sorry if this is in the wrong place.

I'm looking for a set of costumes age 3+ for my daughter that aren't just princess gear. I don't mind a couple of girly bits, but it'd be awesome if there was also a pirate, doctor, knight etc. Everything I've seen is pure princesses (with horrible little plastic heels! shock)

Even a 'boys'' dressing up box would do, but I haven't found one. Anyone?

OlennasWimple Sun 14-Aug-16 12:53:55

Look in the "boys" section?

Amazon have loads of costumes

Palomb Sun 14-Aug-16 12:55:15

We had all the emergency services, nurses, astronauts, vet, farmer and a mechanic,

The only gendered one of those was the nurses and my son wore that often enough. I can't say DD was ever bothered either.

thatstoast Sun 14-Aug-16 12:55:35

You'll probably have to put your own together. Home bargains and tk maxx have lots of costumes. Melissa and Doug have some nice dress up stuff too.

SnugglySnerd Sun 14-Aug-16 12:56:55

There are loads on Amazon and ELC do a few too, we got a doctor's outfit from there. Also see what you can get in charity shops, they are good for things like hats.

NapQueen Sun 14-Aug-16 12:57:51

What have yous started 3 threads on this?

thatstoast Sun 14-Aug-16 12:59:59

This is my favourite.

APlaceOnTheCouch Sun 14-Aug-16 13:01:47

There are lots of uni-sex costumes. I don't understand why you can't find them. As well as Amazon and Melissa & Doug, you'll also pick up knight/Viking/astronaut costumes at museums, science centres, etc.

n0ne Sun 14-Aug-16 13:02:33

Well, NapQueen, some of the boards didn't look like they had much traffic. Sorry and all that

APlaceOnTheCouch Sun 14-Aug-16 13:02:43

thatstoast we have that one too! And the book that turns into a rocket. grin

TheHubblesWindscreenWipers Sun 14-Aug-16 13:02:52

Ikea do some cool ones, there's an eagle and a robot

Most toy shops do them surely? I was in our local one the other day and they had superheroes, cowboy hats, doctors, firemen ... All sorts.

Probably best to pick up bits separately rather than 'an outfit' as hen you can mix and match

jammh Sun 14-Aug-16 13:04:26

Is buying a ready made dressing up box a thing? It would never occur to me to do other that find costumes I like wherever and chuck them in a box? All of our numerous costumes are from school jumble sales - very cheap smile

thatstoast Sun 14-Aug-16 13:06:27

Here's an example of a 'ready made' dress up box. Princess, fairy,nurse...

jammh Sun 14-Aug-16 13:06:49

Ooh yes, I have to stop myself buying the IKEA bird/owl with the giant wings every time. It's so cool but really don't need it... If you're not in a hurry you can get very cheap animal onesies from eBay that ship from China OP (sorry my focus on cost may not be yours...)

n0ne Sun 14-Aug-16 13:16:23

I don't live in the UK. Toy shops here don't have anything small enough. No need to sneer.

I only saw Disney princess sets on Amazon/Toys r Us, or individual costumes but that would rack up in price pretty quickly. I'm try Ikea and Melissa and Doug (if they deliver here). Thanks

jammh Sun 14-Aug-16 13:21:38

Wasn't sneering. Just remarking. Sorry if it came across that way. eBay for sure you will find what you are after.

n0ne Sun 14-Aug-16 13:26:21

Not you, jammh! blush

jammh Sun 14-Aug-16 13:26:34

This kind of thing of any interest? They do short leg/sleeve ones too if you search. Ds is currently in a tiger one. Very cute!

jammh Sun 14-Aug-16 13:28:28

Oh good - I'm a bit paranoid at the mo about my tone in written stuff. smile

APlaceOnTheCouch Sun 14-Aug-16 13:35:48

I wasn't sneering either. If the reason you can't find them is because you're not in the UK then that's both a valid reason and it impacts on some of the advice we would give.

LassWiTheDelicateAir Sun 14-Aug-16 16:20:49

a pirate, doctor, knight

How are these not unisex ?

They are sold in toy shops (usually attached to bits of cardboard by lots of irritating plastic ties). Up to you which sex of child you give them to.

Xenophile Sun 14-Aug-16 16:37:21

If you're in Germany or NL, they do boxes of dressing up clothes in the large toy shops there.

n0ne Sun 14-Aug-16 20:15:50

Thanks, Xenophile, I'll try a large Bart Smit. The ones I've been in only have outfits for bigger kids.

Xenophile Sun 14-Aug-16 23:13:48

I got some from age 3+ hope they still do them!

CodyKing Sun 14-Aug-16 23:18:25

Lots of 'onsies' about that double up as dressing up costumes - birds Star Wars cows etc - two things in one!

Go to the pound shop for wands or hats and let her use her imagination -

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now