Sussex university lecturer violently assaulted his student girlfriend and has still not been sacked [TW: graphic images].

(10 Posts)
bettyswalls Fri 12-Aug-16 22:13:14

www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/sussex-university-lecturer-student-girlfriend-criminal-conviction-beat-up-assault-lee-salter-a7183391.html

"She said that Sussex University knew of the relationship, but advised the pair be “discreet” since they were both consenting adults.

During the 10-month period between his arrest and conviction, Salter continued to teach, the university has admitted, while Ms Smith said she remained so traumatised she was afraid to leave the house.

Described by Ms Smith as a "manipulative and cruel man”, Salter alluded to her of having previous relationships with former students. She said he attended his court sentencing accompanied by another young student from the University of Brighton."

Xenophile Sat 13-Aug-16 09:01:18

So lovely to see the comments section has the usual liberal smattering of men defending one of their violent kind.

AristotlesTrousers Sat 13-Aug-16 10:28:53

I'm shock at some of the comments, like one person wondering what she did to provoke him. So much misogyny!

KindDogsTail Sun 14-Aug-16 00:33:05

Please would someone tell me what 'a sentence of 22 months suspended for 18 weeks' actually means?

What a complete brute. I think he could legally have been suspended on pay without the University having to face an employment tribunal.

PinkyofPie Sun 14-Aug-16 00:45:45

kind it's the other way around, 22 week sentence suspended for 18 months.

Basically he doesn't go to jail unless he offends again in the next 18 months, in which he'll serve the full 22 week sentence in prison.

Disgusted by the Uni's actions, I hope students boycott his class

JenLindley Sun 14-Aug-16 00:52:04

I am just disgusted by the University's decision here. And shocked. It makes me wonder what else is going on that they were so keen to keep him employed there despite the implications of that decision. Does he have huge dirt on someone high up at the university or something? Or is this really just a case of them not seeing it as a big deal? (how could they possibly think that though?) I don't get it at all. Why aren't they falling over themselves to cover their own ass and follow discipliniary procedure?

KindDogsTail Sun 14-Aug-16 18:08:56

Thanks for the answer Pinky
So he will not really be punished for that savage attack.

MaudGonneMad Sun 14-Aug-16 18:10:33

He no longer works for the university now, according to their statement last night. Unclear whether he resigned or was sacked.

Shallishanti Sun 14-Aug-16 18:19:01

he has to do 150 hours unpaid work
hopefully he will find that really humiliating
surely it's unprofessional for lecturers to have relationships with students? how is that allowed?

JenLindley Sun 14-Aug-16 18:32:54

I don't understand why violent crimes (against anyone) don't lead to automatic custodial sentences. He is violent he poses a risk to the public and particularly women. Why isn't he being held at her majesty's pleasure and attending compulsory behaviour adjustment courses? There doesn't seem to be any rehab offered to ensure he is safe to be in the general public.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now