Talk

Advanced search

Men in hijabs - Iran

(15 Posts)
msrisotto Sun 31-Jul-16 16:39:06

Have you seen this? Men In Hijab
I am happy that people are campaigning for freedom for women to wear what they want as i don't think anyone should dictate what other people should wear.

I thought this was an interesting quote from one of the men ""When I wore the hijab, even just for a short period, I felt I was not myself anymore. This is the worst feeling in the world and absolutely unacceptable for any liberated person. It means that women when they leave their house everyday have to leave their real identity back at home. It's a horrible feeling to have a double identity for a lifetime."
Obviously everybody feels differently, he might say the same thing about wearing a skirt or a gilet.

Holowiwi Sun 31-Jul-16 17:33:18

Who knows it could easily be because he is wearing a garb for women rather than the hijab specifically. We have many Muslim women on MN and they have said different things about what it means to them so I will take this one man's opinion as just that.

VestalVirgin Sun 31-Jul-16 21:30:56

Who knows it could easily be because he is wearing a garb for women rather than the hijab specifically.

Do you really think he wouldn't know the difference? I find that very disrespectful. Especially since this man is one of few who actually defend human rights for women.
Clearly, he did a lot of thinking (or at least a lot more and better quality thinking that most men there) and reflection on the topic.

It doesn't matter if you know many women who like to wear a hijab; women in Iran are forced to wear it and that is clearly a violation of human rights, and very, very obviously most women do not want to wear it, even though many may have gotten used to it over time.

And quite probably, the knowledge that women are forced to submit to this shit is what made him feel so bad - I can tell you I didn't feel like that when I disguised as a steretoype- ninja when I was a kid, even though that was effectively about the same body parts covered in black cloth.

Holowiwi Sun 31-Jul-16 22:24:19

Maybe, maybe not

I have not said that I know many women that like to wear the hijab I said that there are women here on MN that wear it and have their own views on what it means to them you are free to read those threads and/or talk to them I believe there is a thread on this topic currently active. I do not speak for Muslim women and neither does this man really.

Miffer Sun 31-Jul-16 22:44:25

Holowiwi, what is your point exactly?

Those women in that other thread do not speak for 'Muslim women' either. They only speak for themselves so I have no fucking clue why you are directing people to it as it defies your own 'logic'.

ChocChocPorridge Mon 01-Aug-16 07:49:05

There's obviously a difference between choosing to do something as a free choice, and being forced

If you're forced to cover up, when you wouldn't choose to, then yes, I can see that could easily feel like having a double life, only being able to be themselves at home. Whereas if you choose to wear a hijab then that's your style, so it feels like you.

annandale Mon 01-Aug-16 07:53:15

God sorry to swear but Iranians are just fucking ACE. If Iran wasn't governed by a repressive theocracy I would so love to visit.

Mamaka Mon 01-Aug-16 08:38:40

Yes annandale we are grin this feels like major progress for Iranian men!

Miffer Mon 01-Aug-16 09:09:30

anna

Have you ever watched the documentary about the Iranian divorce court?

Really interesting. The divorce system is horrible for women yet there is such a disconnect between the law that governs the society and how people actually behave in it.

It's quite old now but still worth a watch, I actually found it on you tube.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=qs9XSTt-DIE

annandale Mon 01-Aug-16 09:19:18

I think only their dumb government holds Iran back from ruling the world grin

Thanks, I will watch later, sounds fascinating.

Elendon Mon 01-Aug-16 20:14:01

That video makes for grim viewing. Such a trigger, even in the 21st century.

Theydontknowweknowtheyknow Mon 01-Aug-16 22:52:08

God that video is disturbing. As are the comments from the men who think that the custody system in the West is as harsh on men as the Iranian one is on women shock

EnthusiasmDisturbed Tue 02-Aug-16 14:47:16

He was not himself anymore because he was partly hidden and this in Iran is what women have no choice about

Having a choice is freedom not having a choice your freedom does not belong to you

Hopefully more men shall join this campaign as one mans voice is louder than hundreds of women's voices in Iran

OneFlewOverTheDodosNest Tue 02-Aug-16 15:35:21

I think men wearing hijab in Iran is a fantastic act of solidarity. Sadly, I don't think it's going to change anything for the women as my understanding is that the Iranian people are mostly quite liberal with an absurd repressive government. However, it must be very heartening to see men standing by you in this way - I hope more men join in.

VestalVirgin Wed 03-Aug-16 12:42:37

Sadly, I don't think it's going to change anything for the women as my understanding is that the Iranian people are mostly quite liberal with an absurd repressive government.

But usually, a government is made up of (at least some) the same people that live in the country.

And governments that have no support in the population tend to be overthrown after a while ... well, here's hoping that'll happen in Iran.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now