Talk

Advanced search

Merkel, May, Clinton & Eagle

(6 Posts)
hownottofuckup Thu 14-Jul-16 12:50:07

If Clinton is elected, with Merkel being the strongest leader in the EU, May as Prime Minister and possibly Eagle in opposition I can't help but wonder what impact there will be for us all with women in all these key positions. Will there be a notable difference from male leadership?

I'm pretty excited right now.

VestalVirgin Thu 14-Jul-16 13:09:45

So far, Merkel's politics didn't seem all that different from what male politicians would have done ... but perhaps I am wrong. Perhaps a man would have inisted after Fukushima that nuclear power is harmless, and handled the refugee crisis with less diplomacy.

Apparently, the new laws against rape in Germany only came to be because women from different ends of the political spectrum agreed on the best course of action. I hope something similar will happen.

deydododatdodontdeydo Thu 14-Jul-16 13:19:41

It's better than not having any women leaders. I think it's great.
But they're not feminists, I don't think they've ever claimed to be or to fight for women's rights especially, so I wouldn't expect them to.

SenecaFalls Thu 14-Jul-16 13:35:38

Hillary Clinton is a feminist, and if you want to see a contrast in policies on women's rights, especially reproductive rights, look at her record against Trump's pronouncements.

Homeriliad Thu 14-Jul-16 19:57:32

Theresa May might be a woman, but she's still a Tory.

JackieAndHyde4eva Thu 14-Jul-16 20:04:35

I think at the very least its good for young girls to see women in leadership roles. They may not be better leaders (individually i mean, i dont mean women wont be as goid leaders as men, i just mean these women may not be, or may be) than their predecessors, They may not do it how you think they should, but they are women who have succeeded in their personal goals and careers in male dominated fields and gotten to the top. This is good for girls to see. It mightnt have an immediate positive impact for women as far as policies go to have all women at the top (or it might) but i like to think it would ignite a spark in the next generation that females at the top becomes acheiveable and a legitimate goal for our girls.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now