Talk

Advanced search

US Supreme Court strikes down highly restrictive Texas abortion law.

(14 Posts)
SenecaFalls Mon 27-Jun-16 16:06:53

After Texas state senator Wendy Davis courageously filibustered a very restrictive abortion bill in 2013, the Texas legislature went ahead and passed it in a later session. The Supreme Court has held it to be unconstitutional. A great victory for women's reproductive rights in the US!

www.cnn.com/2016/06/27/politics/supreme-court-abortion-texas/index.html

LurcioAgain Mon 27-Jun-16 16:14:35

Hooray!

PalmerViolet Mon 27-Jun-16 16:18:33

I am so pleased for the women of Texas that they are able to access full reproductive healthcare again.

And such bravery and courage on the part of the activists!

Hope the rest of the USA that has enacted these anti-woman bills is watching and that the activists in those states have taken heart.

MorrisZapp Mon 27-Jun-16 16:20:25

Absolutely brilliant.

SenecaFalls Mon 27-Jun-16 18:13:06

The Supremes are on a women's rights roll today. They also handed down a decision validating the reach of a federal law that prohibits people with domestic violence convictions from possessing firearms.

PalmerViolet Mon 27-Jun-16 18:27:24

Does that have to be ratified or agreed by the states? Or is that it, they have to abide by it?

SenecaFalls Mon 27-Jun-16 18:35:58

They have to abide by it. smile

PalmerViolet Mon 27-Jun-16 18:49:04

<does happy dance>

Bad day for Texans!

OneFlewOverTheDodosNest Mon 27-Jun-16 18:54:46

That's wonderful - I hope that it leads to overturning the horrendous block on inducing labour for women with fetal abnormality.

DetestableHerytike Mon 27-Jun-16 19:14:02

Yay!

Wendy Davis and her shoes triumph at last!

NeedACleverNN Mon 27-Jun-16 19:15:22

Fantastic news though I don't think it will be easy as that...

The anti-abortionists will be definitely protesting loudly..

FreshwaterSelkie Tue 28-Jun-16 17:40:10

I was so chuffed when I read about the supreme court decision! Best news on women's rights I've heard in a long time grin <happydance> it sends a great message, and has for the moment stemmed the death by a thousand cuts that reproductive rights was going through there. I hope this reinvigorates all of the brave campaigners who are fighting the good fight on this.

JudyCoolibar Tue 28-Jun-16 17:53:36

I wonder what Trump thinks about it? I suspect he's not too keen.

Hufflepuffin Tue 28-Jun-16 18:09:33

Finally some good news!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now