Talk

Advanced search

Interesting mismatch in statistics

(7 Posts)
LurcioAgain Thu 23-Jun-16 09:52:11

BBC article reporting only 2% of the population at large are bullied in the workplace because of their gender compared to 10% of LGBT people. (Obviously it is shocking that 10% of LGBT people are bullied on account of their gender).

Guardian article, admittedly from 2012 reporting that 4 in 10 women have been subject to unwanted touching in the workplace.

Huffington Post article from last year putting the figure for sexual harassment in the workplace at 1 in 3 women.

Is it just me, or is either the survey the BBC are talking about massively under-reporting gender-based bullying in the workplace, or dismissing sexual harassment as not a form of bullying? How could sexual harassment not be a form of gender based bullying? (Unless someone can come up with reputable statistics suggesting 1 man in 3 has their arse groped by women in the workplace...)

SomeDyke Thu 23-Jun-16 10:14:06

I suspect (based on no evidence whatsoever) that they asked about specific jenduh presentation/identity. So women who 'present' as women would say no because their harassment isn't down to that. Butch dykes would also say no because if you're not a transman but boring ole CIS, you're not allowed to claim gender discrimination. So reduces to I suspect, only trans allowed to complain about jenduh discrimination and sex discrimination too boring to report.

The answer you get depends on the exact way you ask the question, as decent researchers know. The figure that does make me feel sad is the number of gay men who don't dare hold their partners hand in public, buy hey that's just boring ole homophobia not sexy transphobia

Gay men might very well get bullied if they look too non-masculine but since that is just clothes and appearance rather than innate magic jenduh, you just have to ditch the swish dude! Whereas it is obviously terrible and totally unacceptable to expect a transwoman to ditch the dress.

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PalmerViolet Thu 23-Jun-16 10:20:29

I wasn't aware that being LGB was a gender. Which makes the comparison a bit weird anyway.

LurcioAgain Thu 23-Jun-16 10:23:16

Agree SomeDyke - horribly sad that even now men feel they can't hold each other's hand in public. (I remember a good friend saying there were some cities where she couldn't hold her girlfriend's hand in public sad).

Tried to do my bit this morning by letting the teacher know there was homophobic abuse going on in the playground - glad to say she was pleased (if that's the right word) albeit very shocked to be told, and said she would address it.

chunkymum1 Thu 23-Jun-16 11:16:08

Like SomeDyke said, I think this must be all down to how the question was phrased. Unfortunately I think that many women (myself included for some time, although I am slowly reawakening my feminist thoughts that have laid dormant) are so used to being mistreated in the workplace that they do not see this as 'bullying' or if they do they don't believe that it is bullying because of their gender. So for example if a woman constantly receives comments about being a 'part timer'/has her commitment to work questioned because she has to leave the office at a certain time to collect children from school, this is not seen as a gender issue- the same would be apply to a man who did the same (except- oh yes, there aren't any).

I also think that, again depending how the question was asked, many women would see sexual harassment as a totally separate issue from bullying (rather than as a sub-set of gender based bullying).

Sad to hear that gay men/women don't feel able to hold hands in public- Lurcio, is this in the UK or elsewhere? I'd started to believe that most of the world had got used to this now, since I live in a fairly small town but see gay couples holding hands here frequently- maybe that's another area I've slipped in to naivity about.

SomeDyke Thu 23-Jun-16 18:08:59

"Sad to hear that gay men/women don't feel able to hold hands in public."
I think the figure quoted was specific to gay men -- which I would not be at all surprised about. Two adult men holding hands in the UK is pretty specific to gay men -- hence why, many times, the pictures used to illustrate many BBC news stories about lesbian and gay issues just had a picture of two obviously male hands clasped.

Arm-in-arm, or arms around shoulders, that seems to be allowed for adult males, but adult males holding hands -- only wife/girlfriend or small children, and anything else a definite gay tag.

I feel very sad (and then rather angry) when gay people who are married still don't feel safe enough to hold hands in public although they might want to.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now