Talk

Advanced search

Dutch woman arrested in Qatar for being raped

(49 Posts)
mamamea Sun 12-Jun-16 07:51:54

Apparently she went to a hotel where alcohol can legally be served, her drink was drugged, and she was raped.

Now her rapist wants to marry her, in accordance with Islamic law, and she has been imprisoned for adultery.

This is the barbaric racist shithole where the next World Cup will be held.

www.middleeasteye.net/news/dutch-woman-held-qatar-after-making-rape-complaint-1354315029

Hassled Sun 12-Jun-16 07:54:50

That's just awful. The poor woman.

VestalVirgin Sun 12-Jun-16 10:03:19

Why DOES anyone go there for holidays? This is not a civilised country. It is a misogynistic shithole.

Poor girl probably didn't know - after all, those countries are still advertised as being great holiday destinations. And apparently she thought it was a good idea to tell someone about the rape. Why aren't women TOLD that THOSE COUNTRIES HATE US!

Finola1step Sun 12-Jun-16 10:08:21

I read about this poor woman this morning. What has happened to her is truly awful. But sadly there will be no justice for her.

The Dutch government/ consulate / embassy need to get their arses into gear and get her out of that country.

mamamea Sun 12-Jun-16 11:14:27

We went to Dubai. It was a vile racist shithole. We went because we were flying via Dubai and it was cheaper to stopover than not.

This is probably why people go.

VestalVirgin Sun 12-Jun-16 11:41:38

We went to Dubai. It was a vile racist shithole. We went because we were flying via Dubai and it was cheaper to stopover than not.

How much cheaper? Just in case I ever can afford flying anywhere in the first place ... I think I'd pay about a 100 euros more to never set foot in that place.

But that cannot be the explanation for all the tourism. If it was just people who stay a night before their next flight.

MaterofDragons Sun 12-Jun-16 11:50:06

Poor woman. How awful that I wasn't even shocked it was Qatar. Will never set foot in any misogynistic country if I can help it.

Clonakiltylil Sun 12-Jun-16 11:50:39

I can't tell you how sorry I feel for this poor woman. She expected justice and she deserves every sympathy. It's just horrific. I saw this story yesterday and wanted to start a thread about it but every time I tried, I felt so sick.

Lottapianos Sun 12-Jun-16 11:52:33

Jesus, that poor woman. My sister lives in Abu Dhabi and I feel like I should visit her at some point,but I'm not looking forward to it. I would rather have absolutely nothing to do with the place

TooMuchMNTime Sun 12-Jun-16 11:54:58

Poor woman
I don't get why people go either and the fact they were awarded the football is astounding.

Limer Sun 12-Jun-16 12:04:06

Horrific.

I read some of the comments under that report, apparently rape of a non-Muslim isn't a crime in Qatar. Words fail me.

0phelia Sun 12-Jun-16 12:10:00

Corruption and bribary via criminal Seth Blatter is how they got the World Cup (stadium currently being built by slaves who die on site).

I'm fearful for all women planning to go to games out there.

There's no way it should be held there. I hope there's a recall.

LassWiTheDelicateAir Sun 12-Jun-16 12:34:30

Qatar
www.qatartourism.gov.qa/en/index.html

It certainly would not be my top choice of destinations. I always think of it as somewhere very sterile and fake but luxurious with shopping. Now luxurious with shopping suits me fine but there are plenty of other more interesting places where I can get that.

Truly awful situation.

LassWiTheDelicateAir Sun 12-Jun-16 12:35:19

The World Cup decision was beyond absurd.

booklooker Sun 12-Jun-16 12:57:09

I live in the ME, and i am not sure people would think of Doha as a tourist destination. Maybe people are just lumping it with Dubai and the other UAE's. Which, to be honest, shows a lack of understanding of the region.

But this a vile, despicable action from the Qatari authorities. I would hope that the Dutch have enough dipomatic clout to get her out of there asap.

I would love to see the World Cup be moved to somewhere else (Africa?), but I doubt it is going to happen.Maybe they will get invaded by Russian soccer hooligans.

VestalVirgin Sun 12-Jun-16 12:57:56

@Ophelia: I don't have much hope. The people who make those decisions have zero empathy for women.
World Cup will be held there, all players will go there, and some will go to watch the games, too.

@LImer: Pretty sure rape of a Muslim woman is only a crime on paper, either, as long as her current owner (father or husband) consents.

LassWiTheDelicateAir Sun 12-Jun-16 13:34:26

booklover the Qatari Tourist Board would seem to have a different view on Doha as a tourist destination.

Thomas Cook do luxury city break packages to Doha.

booklooker Sun 12-Jun-16 14:12:37

Lass, Far be it from me to argue with the Qatari Tourist Board, it's just that in the 7 years I have lived in the region, I have not known of one person who has gone there as a tourist. (As oppposed to not knowing a single ex-pat who has not gone to Dubai)

But, this is not the focus of the thread and I apologise for the digression

LassWiTheDelicateAir Sun 12-Jun-16 14:20:55

It is a digression but you were suggesting it shows a lack of understanding of the region.

I know people who have taken city breaks to Doha from the UK. It features as a destination in travel supplements. The victim was on holiday there.

Limer Sun 12-Jun-16 16:37:25

Vestal thanks for that info - god it's so depressing, isn't it. No wonder these countries are usually total basket cases, consigning half their population to lives of domestic servitude and obedience to men.

Shocking too that we is the supposed advanced Western world pussyfoot around these misogynistic cultures, because we're terrified of being called racists. Women's rights always get trumped by crazy ideologies.

LassWiTheDelicateAir Sun 12-Jun-16 17:36:55

One can only hope the publicity will lead to it being dropped. An Norwegian woman was sentenced to 16 months in similar circumstances in Dubai (?) and was pardoned.

Are they expecting none of the unmarried football players will bring partners and all fans who are couples will be married?

The Dutch government/ consulate / embassy need to get their arses into gear and get her out of that country.

I hope this happens.

deydododatdodontdeydo Mon 13-Jun-16 10:44:42

Seems like it has. She was held for three months, fined £580 and is being deported.
Her attacker will get 100 lashes.

deydododatdodontdeydo Mon 13-Jun-16 10:45:25

Lashes for sex outside marriage, by the way, nothing for rape.

VestalVirgin Mon 13-Jun-16 13:01:17

Lashes for sex outside marriage, by the way, nothing for rape.

Well, at least perhaps he will now think twice befor raping a tourist. He probably hoped she'd not go to the police because she'd be punished worse than him. Now he knows of tourist's naive belief in justice and that it might end with 100 lashes for him.

One has go to wonder what was going on in his head, that he really thought, she would marry him if he only asked her mother often enough. Doesn't Quatar have internet? You'd think he'd know by now that there is no way a Dutch woman would marry her rapist.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now