Grayson Perry I like you

(12 Posts)
KateInKorea Thu 26-May-16 08:09:46

Grayson Perry apparently has anew series about the negative impacts of masculinity.
I liked this article.

Article

SuburbanRhonda Thu 26-May-16 08:17:30

Great article - but he makes the mistake of saying parents often know the "gender" of their child before its born, whereas what they actually know is its sex.

Lottapianos Thu 26-May-16 08:22:15

He's great isn't he? Very thoughtful and a good listener in interviews but very funny and engaging at the same time. I really appreciate him saying that his 'alter ego' is simply him in a dress and that wearing dresses and make up give him absolutely no insight into what it's like to actually be a woman. His memoir is a great read, he had a truly dreadful heartbreaking childhood

His wife is fab too - Philippa Perry, she's a psychotherapist and writes for the Guardian from time to time

KateInKorea Thu 26-May-16 08:26:24

Did he do the Reith Lectures one year (I can't think how I could possibly think he did)

But I did remember hearing him do a series of lectures and thought he was great!

SuburbanRhonda Thu 26-May-16 10:25:47

And of course his artwork is stunning smile

Shallishanti Thu 26-May-16 10:26:40

he did do the Reith lectures I'm sure
Also he was on the BBC programme about the chelsea flower show yesterday!

wonderstuff Thu 26-May-16 10:37:32

I'm a big fan. When he did the tomb of the unknown craftsman at the British Museum he did a free showing for teachers and gave a lovely talk about being an artist and what to advise students going down that route. I loved the recent program about masculinity, really interesting, he's a sort of sociologist and puts that brilliant insight into such lovely work. The Britishness thing he did was great too.

powershowerforanhour Thu 26-May-16 13:45:26

Saw him being interviewed by monty don at the flower show. Very interesting take on the artistic aspects of gardening and comes across as a very humane person (as does monty)

EBearhug Fri 27-May-16 00:07:09

He did the Reith lectures in 2013 - you can still listen: www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03969vt

The replays for All Man are here - www.channel4.com/programmes/grayson-perry-all-man

SueTrinder Fri 27-May-16 00:12:36

Another vote for how brilliant he is, he's good at those interviews, gives people the same kind of space as Louis Theroux does and gets some interesting insights as a result. I did think the third masculinity one was rather depressing with all the city workers. Does explain why my brother (who works in the city but not as a trader) says Germaine Greer is right that most women really don't know how much most men hate them.

Destinysdaughter Fri 27-May-16 00:22:29

I really like him too! His work on identity was fascinating and insightful. He comes across as someone who is empathetic and genuinely cares about pp.

In that last doc about masculinity I thought it was so telling that the bankers were so secure in the rightness of their world view ( which he was trying to show was just a construct ), that they were actually affronted by his artworks. They exactly proved his point by their reactions! i.e that the banking world isn't 'logical', 'rational' etc, but entirely MAN made...

Just brilliant.

Destinysdaughter Fri 27-May-16 00:25:04

I also like his point that men have to change, to look to the future, as feminists do, looking at what they can become rather than at the past and what they were. I know there's been debate on here as whether men can truly be feminists but in my opinion he definitely is!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now