Feminism for Tweens

(5 Posts)
NeonNails Thu 19-May-16 13:30:59

DD (11) has always know her mind and had sound principles around being herself and doing what she wants but I'm finding as she gets older it's tougher for her to make sense of the world around her.

She's a vociferous reader and I'd like to point her in the right direction - maybe books on promoting a strong sense of self and self esteem rather than specifically feminism but progressing to something a bit more actively engaging.

Anyone got any suggestions?

EmpressTomatoKetchup Thu 19-May-16 20:54:02

Do you know about A Mighty Girl? www.amightygirl.com

HapShawl Thu 19-May-16 22:50:11

Jump magazine may have some ideas

jumpmag.co.uk

MyCrispBag Fri 20-May-16 08:03:26

Francis Hardinge is one of my new favourites. She writes YA books with strong female leads.

The Lie Tree has a lot of feminist themes, all the main character's are women or girls and it handles a lot of tropes. I particularly liked the way the 'gold digger' trope is examined. Of course it's a really good story first and foremost.

NeonNails Fri 20-May-16 13:58:02

Thanks - this is a great start smile

I'm familiar with mighty girl and started trawling their articles for book suggestions but suggestions seemed to be mainly for a younger audience - I'll take another look

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now