Talk

Advanced search

Women in Business and Workfest.

(18 Posts)
LookNiceYah Fri 06-May-16 11:52:36

Gratz Mumsnet. Bravo.

WorraLiberty Fri 06-May-16 11:55:25

It's not often I'm speechless but OMG grin

Yes, that makes women in business look completely credible.

<< Eye roll >>

LonnyVonnyWilsonFrickett Fri 06-May-16 11:56:40

Oh FFS.

I'm reporting your post look because I want to make sure someone from MNHQ sees it once they've finished doing their hair

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

WorraLiberty Fri 06-May-16 12:00:36

MNHQ have just posted a thread, letting us all know that the self esteem workshop will be sponsored by a Nice N Easy confused

WorraLiberty Fri 06-May-16 12:01:06

Sorry, no idea where the 'a' came from there.

LookNiceYah Fri 06-May-16 12:01:58

I could hug you all. Glad it's not just me. <despairs>

I mean there's nowt wrong with having nice hair, feeling good about yourself. Seriously, go for it and fucking own it. But at a business event?

I've started my own business in the last year. Hair is the least of my worries. A friend also started her own business two years ago, she's going from strength to strength. She's in the papers talking about bank charges for businesses and how it impacts. Should have done a style column instead.

WorraLiberty Fri 06-May-16 12:02:35

Sponsored thread here

LonnyVonnyWilsonFrickett Fri 06-May-16 12:03:38

I've got my own business and now I'm really, really worried about my hair! What opportunities have I missed, because hair?

DerelictDaughter Fri 06-May-16 12:04:03

Oh this is...sad. Depressing. Insulting. Backwards.

Mumsnet wtf? Come ON.

thatstoast Fri 06-May-16 12:06:26

What alternative sponsors would be good? I'm struggling to think off the top of my head as most companies rely on separating men and women to maximise sales.

Just for men would probably sponsor a similarly male event.

DerelictDaughter Fri 06-May-16 12:13:43

A few things which make my life in business easier:

accounting software
great online printing service
a babysitting service for when we can't manage to share childcare
mailing list manager

Not friggin' hair care products

BeyondTellsEveryoneRealFacts Fri 06-May-16 12:19:52

Sure i dont actually need to point this out to anyone, but i feel uncomfortable that it isnt just a beauty product, but one that uses a large chunk of its packaging to focus on 'grey coverage' and is thus a bit "not only do you need to look fab in business, you need to not be old"

(And i know people dont just dye their hair because it is grey, before someone points that out. Mine is blue, for example. Its just an extra element of why it is a peculiar choice for mn)

LookNiceYah Fri 06-May-16 12:27:41

Agreed Beyond. Always worth a mention as to be honest I hadn't thought about the link with Nice and Easy and the implied ageism.

Tiggeryoubastard Fri 06-May-16 12:33:48

Calm down you bloody feminazis! Doesn't everyone call in sick on a bad hair day citing 'women's problems'? wink

TeiTetua Fri 06-May-16 13:01:14

It is a reminder that FWR is only a tiny corner of Mumsnet's far-flung empire, forgotten most of the time.

LookNiceYah Fri 06-May-16 14:52:18

Mumsnet have responded on the thread Worra kindly linked too.

LassWiTheDelicateAir Fri 06-May-16 16:55:35

Oh dear.

and it seemed reasonable, therefore, to think that some women who are returning to work after a career break will be considering how to present themselves in the workplace, after a chunk of time away from it

And who, apart from women who last worked around 1950, have no friends, or female relatives, never leave the house and have no access to television and the Internet, would this be?

I don't have a problem with it being sponsored by Nice 'n' Easy but be honest that they are there to sell things- don't dress it up as anything useful.

Sponsors which would be less objectionable would say Hobbs or Cos. If you have been out of the workplace until children start school getting pointed in the right direction of good quality, wearable but smart clothes isn't too awful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now