Talk

Advanced search

Trans people to be JAILED in Alabama town if they go to "the wrong toilet"

(1000 Posts)
katmanwho Thu 28-Apr-16 16:53:49

Unbelievable. There has been a lot of hate recently in North Carolina with the bathroom bill. But this has got a lot worse. [ www.al.com/news/anniston-gadsden/index.ssf/2016/04/oxford_passes_law_aimed_at_tar.html]

So a transwoman will have to go the male bathroom. A transman in the female one. There's been cases of butch women being hassled already in female toilets.

Oh - and if you're in North Carolina and witness someone who you think is in the wrong bathroom, you can call the hotline.

Meanwhile, a convicted sex offender (who is also Ex Republican House Speaker) is allowed to go the male bathroom with boys.

The only good thing about this bill is that it's made people react to the discrimination and to show that many people think this is discrimination. Just like in the 60s. Apparently trans people are sexual deviants.

This is the real effect of hate.

PennyDreadfuI Thu 28-Apr-16 17:13:35

Is no-one else concerned that this would give the green light for men (ie not transwomen) who are so inclined to chuck on a frock and hang about ladies' toilets?

katmanwho Thu 28-Apr-16 17:15:54

Do you think trans PEOPLE deserve jail time for peeing?
Do you want a trans man next to you in the bathroom?
Does a bathroom door stop men (who don't need to wear a dress) from lurking in the bathroom and raping someone?

What do you think of this law?

Knotnora Thu 28-Apr-16 17:16:03

What is a transman/woman. Someone who identifys as another sex or someone post op? Surely that's the crux

Nothiittoday Thu 28-Apr-16 17:17:00

I'd like vaginas in the women's toilets and penises in the men's.

Nothiittoday Thu 28-Apr-16 17:17:25

I'd don't really care who they are hanging off or how that person identifys themselves

katmanwho Thu 28-Apr-16 17:17:47

Oh, and trans women have been peeing next to you for ages. I don't think there's been many incidents of men dressing up as women to attack someone in the rest room. But there's been loads of incidents of men dressed as men attacking women in the rest room.

LineyReborn Thu 28-Apr-16 17:20:55

What do you mean by 'butch women' confused and what is your point?

Knotnora Thu 28-Apr-16 17:22:07

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

WeDoNotSow Thu 28-Apr-16 17:23:11

I don't like the idea of penises in the Ladies loos.

katmanwho Thu 28-Apr-16 17:23:19

knotknora

So you'd be happy with a transman in the female bathroom? You''d feel safe that he wasn't going to attack you.

PaulDacresMicroPenis Thu 28-Apr-16 17:23:21

Know your audience OP, you're not on Tumblr now.
Posters on Mumsnet tend to like their sex segregated public loos & changing rooms, implying that makes us hateful, bigoted etc doesn't shut us up.

WeDoNotSow Thu 28-Apr-16 17:24:43

you're not on Tumblr now

^ Yep

katmanwho Thu 28-Apr-16 17:24:48

pauldacres

Well luckily a lot of people in the real world don't agree with you. There's been a massive boycott of North Carolina.

PaulDacresMicroPenis Thu 28-Apr-16 17:25:44

Ha I forgot to name change back after the DM unpleasantness, rather appropriate for this thread though grin

Knotnora Thu 28-Apr-16 17:27:48

Er yes.

Why wouldn't I if your definition of a transman is a woman without a penis who feels like a man. That's all the same to me, how she identifys inside herself has no effect on me or my bathroom experience at all.

If you mean transman with a penis then he can go to the men with all the other men.

Bathrooms aren't divided on 'how you feel' lines they are divided on actual genitals. Hence why men have urinals and we have sanitary bins.

katmanwho Thu 28-Apr-16 17:28:50

Maybe you should boycott those people and artists who oppose this bill? Not buy their products.

That's what a group is doing in the USA. Why not join them?

Knotnora Thu 28-Apr-16 17:29:10

Look you whip a penis out in the ladies, dress or no dress, you're in the wrong place.

ratspeaker Thu 28-Apr-16 17:31:37

The UK govt has noticed this and issued advice on their website.
www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/usa/local-laws-and-customs

Every festival I have been to in the UK has unisex toilets. Not seen any outrage at that.

I'm more concerned about the state of the toilet than another persons genital area tbh.

Knotnora Thu 28-Apr-16 17:31:47

Why would I need to boycott anyone?

And tbh they can fuck off, I don't think Bruce Srpingsteen is going to be sharing any public bathrooms any time soon. It must be lovely campaigning on his pedestal over issues that will never affect him. Fuck him and his rich male privilege. Telling women how they should feel about having cocks in the bathroom.

EnthusiasmDisturbed Thu 28-Apr-16 17:35:04

I am far more concerned that girls and women are put at risk at the worse feeling uncomfortable at the least because of legislation changing this they have no control over

There is a choice here to be made break the law or don't - simple. I would rather they had unisex toilets to use if transmen/women but I am not wanting to share a toilet/changing room etc with a an adult male

You can't change your biology and this is something that needs to be accepted

PennyDreadfuI Thu 28-Apr-16 17:35:08

I don't think there's been many incidents of men dressing up as women to attack someone in the rest room

I've just googled 'man dressed as woman sexual assault toilet'. Try it. Far too many reports to link to individually individually.

Given that transwomen can and do often have functioning penises, we're essentially allowing men into our toilets. If we can't feel safe when having a wee or changing a tampon then what hope is there. Seriously.

PaulDacresMicroPenis Thu 28-Apr-16 17:36:06

I've seen pre-opTW on twitter using #illgowithyou to buddy up with other pre-op TW to use female loos, showing zero empathy and intimidating those of us who don't want penises in our female only spaces.

Cocolepew Thu 28-Apr-16 17:36:33

Nobody is sharing your point of view so far but you are telling us to boycott?
Are you even listening?

katmanwho Thu 28-Apr-16 17:36:43

penny

Do you think a trans person deserves jail if they are caught in the wrong bathroom?

This thread is not accepting new messages.