Talk

Advanced search

Sexual harassment and sexual violence in schools inquiry, Women and Equalities Committee

(10 Posts)

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

scallopsrgreat Tue 19-Apr-16 12:02:48

I read this earlier on the BBC. They managed to completely avoid addressing the gendered nature of the crime other than some lip service to the 'boys will be boys' culture. They didn't once directly name the perpetrators as being overwhelmingly men or boys or directly reference that it is overwhelmingly girls that experience this issue, referring instead to children as if it were a neutral crime.

In fact I've just gone and looked at the article again and they've added a story of girl on girl sexual assault which was awful (and probably worse in some ways for girl suffering from it because she would be even less likely to be believed or it wouldn't be treated as seriously) but not representative of the problem.

How the fuck are we supposed to deal with the problem if we aren't going to name it?

SomeDyke Tue 19-Apr-16 12:55:51

Hey, don't complain -- at least it is still the "Women and Equalities Committee", rather than the non-males and all other assorted minorities, or some other nonsense.

And at least it says:
"Maria Miller, who chairs the committee, said the evidence it had heard exposed a "really concerning problem" of "widespread sexual harassment on a regular basis", particularly among young women."

So not directly quoted as pointing out it was mostly young women, but almost!

Which just shows you how far we have gone, celebrating the fact that a committee still dares to have the word women in the title (rather, say, than non-males, hello you greens, I'm sure they'll be campaigning for that soon!), even if their previous investigation seemed to focus mainly on the rights of males who identified as women, and was perplexed by the fact that those who objected to this seemed to be predominantly feminists....................

Same ole same ole, obscure the real power dynamic here (sex). Which actually does no favours to the males assaulted, or those assaulted by females. You first have to point out that although many victims are females, not all are, and although most perpetrators are male, not all are. Unless you're allowed to explain that, you after all can't explain why those other cases are different. Just pretending that young people assault other young people doesn't help anyone.

scallopsrgreat Tue 19-Apr-16 13:17:41

Yes the link in the OP describes the problem a bit more directly. This is a good thing! I was just on a rant about the BBC who uphold the power dynamics and structural inequalities wherever possible when it comes to reporting male on female violence (and racist violence).

almondpudding Tue 19-Apr-16 13:22:19

This was the BBC's article on the report from last year, which the committee links to...

www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-34138287

Sad to hear they've reported on it poorly this time around.

finallydelurking Tue 19-Apr-16 19:50:41

About bloody time! I've been watching the coverage on the TV today and this problem should've been acknowledged and discussed a very, very long time ago.

buffy you were helpful on the other thread, so I'm asking you. Can I submit an article long enraged deranged rant as a lay person, based on nothing more than my own personal experiences of all my daughters schools and their total failure to address these issues, despite my repeated requests? And if I do is there any chance of making a difference. Is it worth the effort?

finallydelurking Tue 19-Apr-16 19:52:31

I have never done anything political before other than shout at/email my kids school, but I have really, really got the rage about this whole issue.

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AristotlesTrousers Tue 19-Apr-16 20:48:07

I'd quite like to add my voice to this, too, only my experience was over twenty years ago. I suppose I'd be addressing the long term effects that can occur, and also the reason that I became a target in the first place, which I'm pretty sure is still relevant today (previous bullying that had never been addressed and the mental health problems that resulted in me being a scapegoat for the boy who abused me, because it meant he could turn the focus onto me, as a deranged woman scorned).

Or are they only wanting to hear more recent accounts? I very much doubt I'll ever get any justice for what happened to me as no evidence exists anymore, but I'd really like to make a difference somehow.

AristotlesTrousers Wed 20-Apr-16 06:19:12

Don't worry finallydelurking, I've never done anything political like this either. It's all a bit daunting, esp the format the submission has to be with bullet points and numbered paragraphs etc. Such a good opportunity, though. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now