Talk

Advanced search

That thing about women being perceived to dominate discussions...

(5 Posts)
Poofus Wed 23-Mar-16 08:32:32

any time they speak more than about 30% (?) - does anyone have a reference for the original study or something similar? I have been searching without success and I thought someone on here would be bound to know. I think the original was in the context of seminars/HE classroom, but similar from business etc would also be welcome.

Thank you!

MyNameIsInigoMontoya Wed 23-Mar-16 09:42:33

It's referred to in here, although not with the link to the actual research, if this is any help? www.esquire.co.uk/culture/advice/a9641/things-men-dont-know-about-women-caitlin-moran/

Curviest Tue 17-May-16 19:58:58

It came from Dale Spender - Man Made Language.

SomeDyke Tue 17-May-16 22:11:27

Also here:

www.pbs.org/speak/speech/prejudice/women/

which also seems to trace it back to Dale Spender. This is quite useful too:

inthesetimes.com/article/16157/our_feminized_society

But I do wish some people would provide proper references (or is that just my students...............).

LurcioAgain Wed 18-May-16 09:48:08

Not this precise example, but Deborah Cameron, The Myth of Mars and Venus has a good chapter with references to peer-reviewed research on what percentage of airtime men and women get in various different circumstances (the chapter starts by debunking the myth that women just have to talk all the time while men need to retire to their man cave).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now