Talk

Advanced search

Shockingly anorexic looking models in Zara catalogue

(43 Posts)
BiscuitMillionaire Wed 16-Mar-16 22:02:57

This is jaw-droppingly irresponsible, in the section of the catalogue aimed at teenage girls. angry

I don't want to encourage anyone to browse their catalogue, but here's the link here

ArgyMargy Wed 16-Mar-16 22:08:40

I wouldn't say they look anorexic, just a bit miserable. The crew cut is unfortunate and doesn't help. But you can actually see breast shape and they don't look mega-bony.

JillyTheDependableBoot Wed 16-Mar-16 22:34:44

They look very slim and very young, certainly. I wouldn't say anorexic though.

BiscuitMillionaire Wed 16-Mar-16 22:39:23

Perhaps anorexic is he wrong word, but I think of teenage girls struggling with puberty and their bodies becoming more curvy, with hips, and seeing images like this that are meant to be cool. I think this kind of image is really damaging to girls' body image and self-esteem. They don't look healthy athletic slim, they look underweight to me, with no hips whatsoever.

TheDowagerCuntess Wed 16-Mar-16 22:41:01

I get the bigger issue / wider concern, but that body shape is totally normal for many girls that age, it really is.

0phelia Thu 17-Mar-16 20:43:33

It looks weirdly photoshopped to me, too. Like it's all stretched lengthways.

I've worked with models, and there is a problem with some being blatantly anorexic, but the tide is turning. I think it's becoming less acceptable for magazine models to be starvation thin. You still find it on the Catwalk, though.

abbsismyhero Thu 17-Mar-16 20:51:37

my teen looks nothing like this she is a size 10/12 and very curvey this sort of thing makes girls think this is how they should be not how they actually half of her friends are starving themselves to get to a slim body shape i wish magazines showed "reality is" not "reality should be" girls come in all shapes and sizes fact

NewLife4Me Thu 17-Mar-16 20:52:02

I think they look thin, but many young people happen to be thin.
I know what you mean though, I'm sure a meat and potato pie would make them smile.

I'm lucky my dd doesn't look at catalogues and magazines, nearly £40 for a pair of jeans. Do people pay this much for their kids?
New look is good and half the price. grin

usual Thu 17-Mar-16 20:54:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

usual Thu 17-Mar-16 20:55:39

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Cocolepew Sat 19-Mar-16 17:04:06

My teen looks like that, as do a lot of her friends. I can't speak on their behalf but she eats like a bloody horse.

TurnOffTheTv Sat 19-Mar-16 17:12:01

My 16yo looks like that, as well as a lot of her friends. Over the last two years they seemed to have got taller but not put on any weight, they are all a Topshop 4/6/8 but are definitely not anorexic, just young and thing.
I was exactly the same at their age.

PinkPjamas Sat 19-Mar-16 17:13:39

I don't think they look anorexic. You can see flesh on their bellies and their faces aren't gaunt.
I would like to see people of various shapes and sizes in catalogues but I understand why models are usually thin. Thin isn't necessarily anorexic though.

TurnOffTheTv Sat 19-Mar-16 17:14:58

And biscuit some people are just naturally that thin.
I spend my teenage years being tortured for being skinny. I was 6.5/7stone till I was 21.
I used to cry and eat and eat anything I could get my hands on to try and put weight on but it never worked. It's just as bad as being bullied for being fat.

WorraLiberty Sat 19-Mar-16 17:18:32

Their bodies look exactly the same as mine did as a teenager - certainly not 'shockingly anorexic'.

That's an insult to every teenager who happens to be naturally tall and thin.

It's also a very flippant statement, considering the severity of anorexia.

TurnOffTheTv Sat 19-Mar-16 17:21:40

Exactly Worra I bet people wouldn't come on here and say 'God look at these fat heffers in the Evans catalogue, they must be binge eaters'

areyoubeingserviced Sat 19-Mar-16 17:25:03

Agree that many young girls are that thin.
My 13 year old eats constantly and is as thin. In fact she aspires to have a more curvy , hourglass shape so she is trying to put on weight

SleepyForest Sat 19-Mar-16 17:35:43

They are all really thin. So are the models in the women's, girls and men's sections.

Personally I would like to see more diverse body shapes as those don't reflect my shape or my daughters. We are both of a healthy weight according to doctors but look very chunky compared to the slender look shown in the Zara catalogue.

Op is going to get flak for using the word anorexic which is a medical term. Many people are slim as teenagers without being ill.

If my daughter attempted to become a similar shape to the girls in this catalogue she would run the risk of developing an eating disorder as her bone structure and natural shape would make it impossible.

squashtastic Sat 19-Mar-16 17:43:16

Yes, OP. It's a known fact that all models are just naturally thin but really "eat like horses" hmm

Nope. NO eating disorders there.

But seriously, why do they look so fucking miserable?

WorraLiberty Sat 19-Mar-16 17:50:51

Look. Just because some thin people have eating disorders, it doesn't mean all thin people do.

That sort of assumption can be very upsetting for those who find it difficult to gain weight, or who are too busy living their lives to worry about it.

Most of my teenage years was spent listening to twats (usually female twats too), declaring loudly, "Ooh you have no boobs", or "Ooh you have no bum". "When are you going to get a decent meal inside you"?

And if comparing me to a pre-pubescent child wasn't enough for them, they would then throw the word 'anorexia' into the mix just for good measure.

That sort of shit from the people around you, can cause far more damage than photos of models you've never met and never will either.

MissusWrex Sat 19-Mar-16 18:01:05

I'd be happier if a wider variety of shapes were shown.

When I was a teenager there were two girls who genuinely could eat ALL day and were naturally tiny.

There were a fair few more girls who went along with the 'God I eat so much!' in public but who it later came out were dabbling with throwing up their food, laxatives and just 'pretending' to eat vast amounts and skipping meals when they were able to.

Again there were the girls that constantly tried to diet but due to shape (seriously one girl was beautifully curvy, I would have killed for her figure!) would never ever be the ultra slim line tall girl they wanted to be. Ever.

I just feel if there was more of a healthy representation it would take some of the pressure off for us all to be one shape.

I'm not saying that being very slim is unhealthy or never possibly natural, it can be. But it's not a healthy shape to aspire to for a lot of teenage girls so if there was more of a variety maybe everyone could find some security in their figure instead of trying to forcing themselves to be something they just aren't.

IoraRua Sat 19-Mar-16 18:05:09

They presumably have that expression because that's the one they were paid to make. If Zara wanted them lepping about in clown suits I'm sure they'd do that.
I don't think they look anorexic at all, just a pair of tall, thin models. Skin looks healthy and you can see flesh on them.

IoraRua Sat 19-Mar-16 18:06:50

Although I would say they're aiming more for an aloof sort of look, rather than bored.
Anyway. I would like to see different looking women in magazines and ads though, I do agree.

WorraLiberty Sat 19-Mar-16 18:08:09

Neither look miserable to me.

They look serious, which as Laura says, is probably the expression they were told to use.

Thisismyalias Sat 19-Mar-16 18:12:00

They do not look anorexic hmm

It's the clothing you're meant to be looking at not them.

They're tall slim young women, walk down any high street and you'll be able to see other tall, slim young women.

The issue with body image is much bigger than a couple of models in a Zara shoot.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now