Talk

Advanced search

Women in accountancy earn £17k less than men

(5 Posts)
AccrualsAndPrepayments Fri 04-Mar-16 19:36:04

<namechanger>

I'm angry to read that women in accountancy earn £17k less than men on average, but I am not surprised.

I feel like I might be part of the 'problem' because I have downgraded my career and traded £ for flexibility and a very local job. sad

Links:
economia.icaew.com/news/february-2016/women-in-accountancy-earn-17k-less-than-men
www.accountingweb.co.uk/article/women-earn-17000-less-their-men/597470

I'm interested to discuss this with other accountants and non-accountants.

I wonder what impact the new gender pay audits will have. It wouldn't effect my pay now as I am in a small business.

I think it's utterly appalling that there are so few accountancy jobs advertised as part time. EG there are currently 10 part time v 1975 part time at ICAEW jobs website.

AccrualsAndPrepayments Fri 04-Mar-16 19:45:03

This look interesting on unconscious bias

www.cchdaily.co.uk/aat-warns-unconscious-gender-bias-finance-sector-pay-and-careers

The latest research shows that while almost two thirds of men (60%) think men and women are treated equally when it comes to progression opportunities and remuneration, this is the experience of less than half of women (43%).

AAT white paper
www.aat.org.uk/prod/s3fs-public/assets/Gender_gap_campaign_white_paper.pdf

Forester1 Fri 04-Mar-16 19:56:09

I'm at a big 4 and do a part time role. I believe my pro rated basic salary is comparable to others in my department - but suspect that my bonus is lower as i believe its harder to find the opportunity on reduced hours to "exceed expectations".

AccrualsAndPrepayments Fri 04-Mar-16 20:05:48

That's interesting Forester1. I escaped left a big 4 years ago. I wonder whether the gender pay audit will back up your suspicions.

When you say bonus is lower do you mean lower pro-rata - eg full time employees bonuses might be X - if you are half time do you think you get less than X/2?

No bonus in my job. Maybe I should make a case for one <channels Sheryl Sandberg>.

Forester1 Sun 06-Mar-16 20:25:03

Yes I'm meaning a lower full time equivalent bonus

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now