Talk

Advanced search

Andrew O'Neil: Pharmacist Baffler (radio satire on gender identity)

(5 Posts)
AnxiousMunchkin Thu 03-Mar-16 13:27:25

Anyone else catch this? It's on iplayer radio. I thought it was really funny but also had some very pertinent observations relevant to the various points that people have made on here recently on concerns about the trans activist movement.

HairyLittleCarrot Thu 03-Mar-16 14:33:33

It bothered me.
But according to Andrew O'Neil I'm a shit feminist who shouldn't be listened to.

BeyondTellsEveryoneRealFacts Thu 03-Mar-16 14:36:16

Anyone seen a transcript? I do better reading than listening

whatdoIget Thu 03-Mar-16 21:35:21

I agreed with quite a lot of it even though I'm also a shit feminist according to Andrew O'Neil. What I didn't agree with was that he was saying gender is a spectrum, whereas I would say there's no such thing as gender and I don't care what anyone wears. I also thought it was a bit shitty for him to make the point that he doesn't like being shouted at in the street because of what he's wearing, which is obviously absolutely crap and he shouldn't have to put up with that, but then to invite the audience to boo "shit feminists" ie gender critical feminists, and also it would have been nice if he'd realised that actually women have to put up with being catcalled all the time, whatever they're wearing.
He also said something about getting double takes, that he could understand it because he realises that people have to read others to see if they are a potential mate or potential rival. What he didn't mention was that women also have to read people to see whether they're a potential attacker.
For someone who dresses in female clothes, he seemed to lack insight or sympathy towards women a bit.

LassWiTheDelicateAir Fri 04-Mar-16 01:30:31

I didn't think it was funny. There were a couple of comments, which I've already forgotten, which were mildly amusing.

He's an Edinburgh Fringe regular but I've never seen him live. I don't particularly like stand-up comedians in general and the appeal of stand-up comedians with a unique selling point, whether it's him being a transvestite or Bridget Christie being a feminist, wears thin very quickly.

I like his style. He is androgynous rather than trying to pass as a woman. I'm not sure it's one that is particularly outrageous or shocking given he lives in London and spends much of his working life on the metropolitan festival circuit. My attention drifted, he might have made that point himself.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now