(7 Posts)
WileHallion Sat 30-Jan-16 01:32:48

We're there aren't we?

Yikes.

WileHallion Sat 30-Jan-16 01:34:53

Bloody hell, forgot the link.

here

KimmySchmidtsSmile Sat 30-Jan-16 01:48:02

I don't get this confused aside from transgender, what other context is trans currently used for that led to this sketch or is it about younger people jumping on the bandwagon regarding gender fluidity? (Genuine question).

KimmySchmidtsSmile Sat 30-Jan-16 01:50:48

Or are they, despite saying trans is a real issue for minorities, dissing it as a trend/construct rather than something genuine?

ObsidianBlackbirdMcNight Sat 30-Jan-16 08:18:09

They seemed to be validating transgenderism whilst mocking trans other stuff confused I didn't quite get their point. Or rather I'm not sure their point was what it appears to be.

0phelia Sat 30-Jan-16 11:02:59

There's the trans-disabled thing, (I'm perfectly healthy but always identified as disabled so please treat me thus) and the trans-race thing (I'm white but identify as black so please treat me thus) there must be some others, which may have inspired the trans-everything sketch...
But trans is everywhere isn't it. It really must be "peak trans" right now. It's getting ludicrous (Olympic women's sports etc).

parachutesilk Sat 30-Jan-16 17:13:13

I think they're taking the piss out of the earnest "me me me"-ness of identity politics and are just using trans as a handy issue to do it with. (They may be trying to sneak in a dig at transgenderism as well, or they may view it as fundamentally different from the things they're taking the piss out. It isn't clear which.)

People who grow up with horrendous sex dysphoria and who truly can get relief no other way than by transitioning are not helped at all by trendy student-age identity politickers of the sort this sketch is taking the piss out of.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now