#ChoreChallenge

(14 Posts)
ultimus Tue 12-Jan-16 14:59:33

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/8924930

I've just seen this trending on Twitter and think it's going to be a really interesting experiment. Is anyone else up for it?

ultimus Tue 12-Jan-16 15:00:28

clickable link - sorry thought all links were made clickable automatically these days!

BreakingDad77 Tue 12-Jan-16 17:19:28

Something on this was done last year on the chore divide. Sorry to be brutal but if you got with a man child why did you ever think this would change once you committed to each other or had kids? I watch Don't tell the bride and it seriously worries me why they are getting with these people.

Don't get me wrong men often turn into lazy buggers and hobbies creep back in, i'm already seeing it with one of DW's friends husbands who has a toddler same age as us. But they were selfish before they got married and had kids so they haven't changed.

TheWomanInTheWall Tue 12-Jan-16 19:27:20

Bit harsh BD - OP made no comment about her own partner.

And plenty of people change over time, often after kids

ultimus Wed 13-Jan-16 01:41:46

Wow! I think you may be bringing your own concerns to this thread, Dad! grin

I said I thought it was an interesting experiment, and I actually think it would be even more interesting in couples who say they're 50/50 - are they really 50/50 or is that just the perception? I did read something that said men overestimate the amount of housework they do while women underreport what they do - the idea of documenting it all for two weeks is a good one I think.

7Days Wed 13-Jan-16 01:47:22

Heh. that's funny because I was a total selfish woman child before I had kids! Poor DH though. Good job I copped on. Isn't my DH lucky he took the gamble? Because now he has lovely children and a partner who grew up and carried their weight.

BellasBall Wed 13-Jan-16 10:32:46

Oh god no I would hate to do this. Reading this has actually shamed me to get up and actually clean!

BreakingDad77 Wed 13-Jan-16 10:35:45

Sorry Ultimus, the 'your' was meant in the general sense, I didn't mean you specifically.

Its probably this forum giving some bias, as you seem to get quite a few 'I'm now doing everything' posts in relationships etc.

I think men and women value things differently as well, like say buying presents for her friends, which to me seems not part of the household chores.

MilkTwoSugarsThanks Wed 13-Jan-16 10:36:50

Well considering the fact that DP works and I don't, I think it would be a bit shit of me to start insisting he does more 'chores' grin

He loves his job, but I don't fancy doing it at all.

BellasBall Wed 13-Jan-16 10:38:48

I work but am off for a little bit at the moment, but I just can't be at all arsed with household stuff. It's just not something that interests me and I just do the minimum needed. Dh does 55 hours but he isn't bothered what I do. Life is too short for too much housework.

DropYourSword Wed 13-Jan-16 10:39:29

Oh god, not sure I'd want to do that. I think my DH does a lot more than me (especially now I'm pregnant) and I don't want to face the black and White statistics!

BellasBall Wed 13-Jan-16 10:42:58

Exactly dropyoursword. It's how you talk it up when he gets back anyway. oooh I haven't stopped when you have been watching box sets on catch up and going on mumsnet...or maybe that's just me grin

Grimarse Wed 13-Jan-16 10:49:34

Excellent idea. I can look forward to my wife doing the dishes, washing, DIY, fixing the car and cleaning up after the poor old cat has shit in the house again! I assume the kids can carry on doing the hoovering and keeping their own swamp/rooms tidy. I'll do a bit of ironing and sit on the couch under the electrically-heated blanket watching Googlebox until spring.

She's in for a shock shock

Babycham1979 Wed 13-Jan-16 12:03:15

This seems perfectly reasonable, as long as there's also a corresponding table for work (inc. paid and unpaid overtime) and commuting.

Otherwise, it just seems like a feeble exercise in sex-based point-scoring.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now