Talk

Advanced search

Any ideas on how to put down horrible sexist men?

(20 Posts)
FrameyMcFrame Sat 26-Dec-15 18:11:48

I always resort to swearing, but I wish I could come up with a witty, withering line.

Talking about women's football, this man was saying that only women would be so manipulative to invent an argument to get a free kick.

Obviously so untrue and idiotic but all I could come out with was fuck off you stupid wanker.

What should I have said?

DoreenLethal Sat 26-Dec-15 18:25:02

Yeah because no man has ever been known to pretend to hurt themselves in football for any reason ever.

Pannn Sat 26-Dec-15 18:25:21

fwiw I think "fuck off you stupid wanker" is perfectly acceptable, as both emotionally and a well thought-out response.smile

Maybe something like "Do you ever watch football? Ever? Have you actually played football? Ever? It appears not". Not withering enough for your needs.

Overall though it's probably a context thing. But any put down is reasonable. Unless you are seeking a Gold Medal in the 'Putting Down horrible sexist men' Olympics.
I'm a bloke though so the dynamics re this issue are quite different to yours.

howtorebuild Sat 26-Dec-15 18:25:49

Yawn?

DustyMaiden Sat 26-Dec-15 18:39:15

Lethal injection, electric chair.

tethersend Sat 26-Dec-15 18:44:06

"Only women would be so manipulative to invent an argument to get a free kick."

"No we wouldn't"

"Yes you would"

<kick>

Helps if you have a whistle to hand.

Pannn Sat 26-Dec-15 18:46:23

So no scope for the re-education camp, then Dusty? Just immediate death?

I think this is one of the scenarios as to why we have gun control in this (UK) country. That and for bike thieves, who should be hung high. imho.

AnyFucker Sat 26-Dec-15 18:49:58

Death stare

Or complete disinterest

Both work for me

FrameyMcFrame Sat 26-Dec-15 20:06:24

Death stare and yawn would've worked better!
I get so angry I can't formulate my thoughts. Any statement that starts with 'only women would... Is inherently bigoted and wouldn't be acceptable if used in the context of any other section of society.
Yet it seems so difficult to understand that from the male privileged position, and I feel incapable of explaining why, it's like a trap!

Pannacott Sat 26-Dec-15 20:18:30

Hmm... "Why would you say that? Do you really believe it? Or are you just being provocative? You know that is nonsense don't you? So why are you saying it?"

grimbletart Sat 26-Dec-15 20:28:01

Have you ever tried engaging your brain before opening your mouth?

Muttaburrasaurus Sat 26-Dec-15 20:31:02

Only in a sexist society would that comment not be considered completely ridiculous and really quite obnoxious?

DifferentCats Sat 26-Dec-15 20:32:40

I genuinely have no idea why you would give a shit what they think. People think all kinds of bollocks. It doesn't make it true. Just forget about it.

I mean that in the nicest possible way.

Pannn Sat 26-Dec-15 20:37:41

"Have you ever tried engaging your brain before opening your mouth?"

That seems a bit harsh. The recipient of that comment could only respond with "Errr.."

DustyMaiden Sat 26-Dec-15 20:45:58

Ways to "put down" horrible men. Just a joke.

FrameyMcFrame Sat 26-Dec-15 20:51:01

grin

VestalVirgin Sat 26-Dec-15 21:24:24

A good comeback would be to just say the name of a male footballer who is known for faking injuries. I don't know anything about football, so I cannot help you there, but I'm sure there is one.

TeiTetua Sat 26-Dec-15 21:35:55

"Hey, it's great to meet another fan of women's football! But I need a reminder--when did this happen, exactly?"

And after the inevitable mumble, "Oh, it doesn't sound as if you've watched all that carefully, after all."

I think sweary rants aren't much of a rejoinder. More an acknowledgement that he's done some damage.

Fadingmemory Mon 28-Dec-15 11:26:16

A revolting man, a doctor, said to me (aged 62 and looking it) when I was understandably angry about something, 'Oh dear, got your period?' To which I replied, 'You should give up the day job. Women my age don't have periods.' He went puce and I then said, 'You have gone an awful colour. Perhaps you could find a competent doctor to help.'

Sometimes I can think of a response, sometimes I can't but I very rarely let them off. I just won't tolerate it.

sashh Tue 29-Dec-15 07:30:03

Thank you for that contribution from the shallow end of the gene pool - can be used in most situations.

As can, 1950 called, they want their attitudes back.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now