Talk

Advanced search

Miley Cyrus video/paedophile culture

(299 Posts)
JoanFerguson Wed 16-Dec-15 09:53:34

Have people seem the disturbing video for Miley Cyrus new song? Miley dressed up as a 'sexy baby' in a cot singing 'fuck me so you stop baby talking'

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/news/miley-cyrus-dresses-up-as-a-giant-baby-for-what-must-be-the-most-disturbing-music-video-of-2015-a6773041.html

It made me think of this article from September

http://www.feministcurrent.com/tag/pedophile-culture/

Is this the way things are going? The mainstreaming of pedophila? Or am I kidding myself and that's already a thing? sad

StealthPolarBear Wed 16-Dec-15 09:56:52

shock
And if anyone accuses me of pearl clutching, damn right I am.

DifferentCats Wed 16-Dec-15 10:02:41

This is the video where she humorously asks her partner to stop infantilizing her?

JoanFerguson Wed 16-Dec-15 10:03:34

Did you find it funny then? I found it really fucking disturbing.

DifferentCats Wed 16-Dec-15 10:08:50

It's not precisely my cup of tea, but it was clearly meant to be hyperbolic.

Branleuse Wed 16-Dec-15 10:12:29

looks to me like shes taking the piss out of people infantilising women more than anything, with shock factor thrown in.

I dont see the big deal. Its not the sort of video youd want your children to watch or listen to, but why should it have to be/?

howtorebuild Wed 16-Dec-15 10:17:37

I remember when her Dad set her up at a young age with much older Men. She wants to be accepted for the adult woman she is now.

StealthPolarBear Wed 16-Dec-15 10:19:52

By dressing as a sexualised baby? Urgh. Can't believe I had to type that.

JoanFerguson Wed 16-Dec-15 10:23:42

How does dressing as a sexualised baby encourage people to see you as an adult woman or challenge the notion of women being infantilised by the culture?
I don't get it.
I don't want to criticise Miley as an individual woman, I think she's a product of a really sick culture.

howtorebuild Wed 16-Dec-15 10:27:30

www.imnotobsessed.com/2008/10/07/miley-cyrus-dad-approves-of-20-year-old-boyfriend/

Branleuse Wed 16-Dec-15 10:30:33

Do you actually think this is going to make people start being sexually attracted to actual babies?

She just looks like shes in fancy dress and its a giant pisstake

JoanFerguson Wed 16-Dec-15 10:39:51

No, that's a total straw man, since I didn't say that or imply that.

Unfortunately there are already people who wish to abuse babies. I wouldn't talk about it in terms of sexual attraction as I don't agree with the construction of paedophilia as a sexuality. There are an increasing number of mainstream articles being published etc (see salon.com) suggesting it should be accepted as that though.

How does dressing Miley as a giant sexy baby challenge the infantilisation of women?

BarbarianMum Wed 16-Dec-15 10:50:49

<<How does dressing as a sexualised baby encourage people to see you as an adult woman or challenge the notion of women being infantilised by the culture?>>

I never understand this either. It's like divers other female pop stars "empowering women" by taking off their clothes and acting like character in a man's wet dream. I've always assumed that it was the doing of their (male) agents and producers but apparently its edgy and ironic hmm.

To subtle for me at least.

Theydontknowweknowtheyknow Wed 16-Dec-15 11:19:15

It's all shades of fucked up, especially the bit where she's lying with her legs open wearing a diaper.

Yeah yeah I know we're supposed to be cool about it because it's ironic but too much irony eventually becomes confused with the real thing and the constant attempts to be provocative are just tiresome.

It's such a shame because she's actually very talented. The backyard sessions she did were amazing.

UkmmTheSecond Wed 16-Dec-15 11:57:20

I can't articulate why, but someone asking to be fucked while dressed as a baby in a sexualised way makes me feel uncomfortable.

I get that she's an adult, can dress how she wants, the songs about her asking her boyfriend to stop treating her like a baby, fair enough, but I think it's, rather than tell him she'll dump him for not treating like an adult, she wants him to fuck her instead, that seems weird to me. I wouldn't want sex with someone who treat me like a child.

"Fuck me so you stop baby talking"

It's the legs open with a nappy, and that almost crotch revealing thing she's wearing in the cot while asking to be fucked that makes me most uncomfortable. But I can't say why.

I don't think this will make people suddenly start abusing babies but I feel as weird about the sexual aspect of this as I do about the sexy schoolgirl image. When grown women dress as teenagers etc.

I know she's doing it shock, but there's already comments from boys or men about how hot she is in the vid etc. it's weird to me, and if I'm totally honest, creepy.

NormaStanleyFletcher Wed 16-Dec-15 12:18:14

Ugh. Those images are just awful. Yes, creepy.

DadWasHere Wed 16-Dec-15 12:18:42

Same old story, voyeuristic selling of female sexuality as fake empowerment for the $$$ in it. But, as to it main-streaming paedophile-culture, no, unless your of a mindset to also think Michael Jacksons Thriller promoted necrophile-culture.

DifferentCats Wed 16-Dec-15 14:09:10

Another image from the video where she dresses up as a chubby grumpy baby. But irrespective of that, she can dress up if she chooses.

She's a sexy girl and there is nothing wrong with that. She looks like a sexy girl no matter what she dresses as. Is it her responsibility to cover herself up to prevent unsavoury thoughts in other people? Where does that responsibility start or end, if we agree she does have some responsibility to moderate her clothing for the sake of the thoughts of bad people? How small underwear is she allowed to wear? How high can her skirt be? What can she dress up as? Are non-sexual things ok? (Must argue that there is nothing innately sexy about a baby.)

This is blatantly a costume made to ridicule the idea of women being treated like babies. A good thing, if you ask me.

JoanFerguson Wed 16-Dec-15 14:18:09

She looks like a 'sexy girl' hmm
Not a sexy woman then.

Analysis/critical thought about the implicit messages does not equal judgement of an individual or 'shaming'.

JoanFerguson Wed 16-Dec-15 14:21:46

I'm also searching for where anyone said Miley as an individual has to moderate her attire or be responsible for others 'bad thoughts' - I can't find that on this thread?

I'm not interested in Miley's 'choices' as an individual I'm interested in what this video tells us about the context in which those choices are made. I don't think it challenges the idea of women being infantilised I think a more realistic analysis would be that it fetishises it.

DifferentCats Wed 16-Dec-15 14:31:23

Yes, she is a girl. She is gendered female. Or can we also not refer to females without the correct boundary age for fear of accidentally sexualising something?

It's pretty disingenuous to suggest that you didn't bring up paedophilia in this thread because you were worried about what other people would think while watching this video.

JoanFerguson Wed 16-Dec-15 14:38:24

She's 23!

Does girl not mean female child anymore?

I'm not 'worried about what other people would think' whatever that means. I'm worried that it indicates that it's increasingly acceptable to fetishise and sexualise childhood/infanthood.

Also - she's not 'gendered female'. Female refers to sex not gender.

DifferentCats Wed 16-Dec-15 14:46:21

'Also - she's not 'gendered female'. Female refers to sex not gender.'

How unnecessarily specific. I am so glad that I live without a plague of thoughts like this. It must wear you out.

PlaysWellWithOthers Wed 16-Dec-15 14:50:41

Yes Joan.

You're over thinking it.

You should be worrying about X more important thing.

Professionally outraged, you are.

Any other tropes we can think of to minimise anything feminists say when discussing things from a feminist perspective?

AnyFucker Wed 16-Dec-15 14:54:18

DC, this is Feminism chat.

We think stuff like the language we use is quite important and don't consider it remotely "plague" like at all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now