Talk

Advanced search

latest chief medical officer report focuses on women's issues

(10 Posts)
StealthPolarBear Fri 11-Dec-15 08:37:46

Includes health obviously but also wider issues such as sexual violence, prisoners, sexuality, fgm, asylum seekers.

RJnomore1 Fri 11-Dec-15 08:43:28

This has just been presented really badly on Bbc breakfast news with a section about obesity. The chief medical officer produced such crackers as "most women do t know obesity is linked to cancer". I agree it's an issue but anyone overweight who saw the way that was done will be depressed all day.

RJnomore1 Fri 11-Dec-15 08:44:07

Sorry I realised that last sentence was wrong as I posted but please take the intention and not my clumsy words.

AuntieStella Fri 11-Dec-15 08:48:05

Yes, I saw the BBC and it's focus on obesity.

Not the report's.

Though they did ask the useful question 'why is this about women's weight, not everyone's?' And she patiently pointed out that it was a report on women's health, not just weight, covering many facets, and (arguably) long overdue. And was coming up with opportunities when women come into contact with NHS to offer support and information on health in general.

StealthPolarBear Fri 11-Dec-15 08:51:55

Not only that but I suspect on the whole it's women who shop and cook for their families. So women making healthier choices is likely to have wider influence
I don't like the fact it's that way, but suspect it is so.

RJnomore1 Fri 11-Dec-15 09:16:20

I couldn't help feel it was women blaming - I'm sure the report isn't but the piece felt like it.

howtorebuild Fri 11-Dec-15 11:02:45

A few things stick out to me. Firstly overweight Women live longer than other groups. Secondly there is no actual cure available. It's a class issue.

This tactic won't work.

howtorebuild Fri 11-Dec-15 11:06:59

I personally think overeating, drinking, drugs, addictions in general are just a psychological game of "alcoholic" currently the CMO is playing the role of prosecutor, BBC reducer and fat Women are being placed in the victim role today.

howtorebuild Fri 11-Dec-15 11:07:44

BBC rescuer

StealthPolarBear Tue 22-Dec-15 17:03:01

Yheres a chapter on fgm which manages not to mention male circumcision once smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now