Talk

Advanced search

Campaign against Tyson Fury being on BBC SPOTY shortlist

(38 Posts)
grimbletart Mon 07-Dec-15 13:21:01

Even if you are not a sports fan please consider signing this campaign against Tyson Fury being one of the 10 sports people on the shortlist for Sports Personality of the Year.

Not content with condemning homosexuality and abortion some days ago, for which he was rightly roundly criticised, he has now given his views on the role of women.

Fury originally said of Ennis-Hill: "“That’s the runner, isn’t it? I think she's good, she's won quite a few medals for Britain, she slaps up good as well, when she's got a dress on she looks quite fit.

He later added of women in boxing: “I’m all for it. I’m not sexist.

"I think they are very nice when they're walking around that ring holding them cards.

"I believe if a man should go to work all his life, a woman can go to work as well. If you're not good enough, you won't make it anyway. Who am I to say don't you do that because you're a girl? What I believe is a woman’s best place is in the kitchen and on her back. That’s my personal belief. Making me a good cup of tea, that’s what I believe.”

www.independent.co.uk/sport/general/boxing/tyson-fury-twitter-message-jessica-ennis-hill-sexist-spoty-petition-a6761426.html

www.change.org/p/the-bbc-should-remove-homophobic-tyson-fury-from-sports-personality-of-the-year-shortlist

Don't suppose the Beeb will listen for one moment - they don't have a good record on acting on complaints, but it would be good to register feelings.

PlaysWellWithOthers Mon 07-Dec-15 13:24:51

They've already said they won't change the shortlist, and the Neanderthal has said he couldn't give a shit. He lives up here, I see him quite often, he's a creature.

Will sign, even if nothing changes, it's still good to know people wanted it to.

Mide7 Mon 07-Dec-15 13:32:01

The man is a joke

OurBlanche Mon 07-Dec-15 13:33:06

It will be discussed on the news shortly... I may return smile

VestalVirgin Mon 07-Dec-15 13:35:32

Does he realize that assholes like him (including his views on abortion) make lesbianism seem so much more desirable?

If those "treatment camps" for gay men were open to women who want to cure themselves of their attraction to males, I would give it a try. envy

Never heard of Tyson Fury before, but just this short description of him makes me regret that I am attracted to the sex he belongs to.

tribpot Mon 07-Dec-15 13:36:11

I've signed it - but the shortlist is a vote held on some radio station isn't it? (Hence why woman are often under-represented in it).

I'd imagine that Ennis-Hill, three times a world champion of one of the hardest athletic disciplines, Olympic gold medallist and British record holder, is not overly concerned about the opinions of this moron.

Helmetbymidnight Mon 07-Dec-15 13:43:43

He's on radio two right now.

What a cunt.

OurBlanche Mon 07-Dec-15 13:47:05

Blech

Worse than I remembered. Prize pillock!

tribpot Mon 07-Dec-15 13:50:30

I assume the Beeb radio stations are being told to give him air time to boost viewing figures for the TV show.

OurBlanche Mon 07-Dec-15 14:22:17

Nah! It's all part of the Christmas cheer. Giving minority acts a platform for debate.

It must have taken ages to find such an openly misogynistic plonker willing to speak.

They can now tick that ever elusive box on the EU Inclusivity form... Famous and Proud to be Stupid.

TesticleOfObjectivity Mon 07-Dec-15 16:03:22

He sounds like a charmer.

grimbletart Mon 07-Dec-15 16:15:17

Although I am a sports fan and always watch SPOTY I have never voted. This year I will. His betting odds are pretty short and he is currently one of the favourites. Therefore, if he remains at short odds I will vote for whomever has the shortest odds after him just to ensure there is at least one vote against him and in favour of the person most likely to beat him. grin

OurBlanche Mon 07-Dec-15 16:20:58

He's falling down the odds a little - have you all voted for Murray or Ennis-Hill recently? smile

OneMoreCasualty Mon 07-Dec-15 18:23:30

Urgh, what a prick. Off to vote for JEH, who deserves it for her sport, her Ched Evans stance and her all round awesomeness.

OneMoreCasualty Mon 07-Dec-15 20:09:52

Oh can't vote yet. Have consoled myself with a vote for Serena on overseas personality.

Helmetbymidnight Mon 07-Dec-15 20:43:03

I've always thought Sports personality of the year was crap.

You could say they court controversy...

I just think sports and personality just don't work well together. EG. Andy Murray is fantastic but personality of the year, in any field, he really isn't...

tribpot Mon 07-Dec-15 20:59:36

I wonder why it's not sports person of the year, instead of personality?

muddymary Tue 08-Dec-15 07:35:40

I actually don't think he should be removed from the shortlist. I have faith that the vast majority of people have no time for such blatant homophobic /misogynist shite and I'd like to think this will show when people vote for their favourite, without Fury being able to act hard done by for being removed for his 'beliefs'.
I'm usually a bit more cynical than this though. I think one too many Christmas movies has given me a temporarily optimistic view of society.

Helmetbymidnight Tue 08-Dec-15 09:05:41

Mm, I guess they want him removed from the shortlist to avoid the danger of him winning...

Yes, sporting person/achiever/achievement of the year would be a better title.

OneMoreCasualty Tue 08-Dec-15 09:17:53

Going on the shortlist implies he's one of the top 12, it's an accolade on itself

Personality does imply something beyond achievement though eg supporting youth teams etc. It's a Miss World for sports!

Are any of the third placed World Cup squad on the list? That was a great achievement.

Love your name helmet!

OurBlanche Tue 08-Dec-15 09:21:47

Sadly some of the comments on the Victoria Derbyshire, BBC2 now, don't seem to agree that he is a pillock.

One man quoted as saying he is a breath of fresh air...

Oscar Pistorious at the moment, got bail, will be home for Christmas...

OurBlanche Tue 08-Dec-15 09:22:14

Bugger, just saw, next trial date is April

allyjay Tue 08-Dec-15 09:32:36

On the Victoria Derbyshire show this morning is Tyson Fury's uncle presumably defending his nephew. Also of interest is an interview Tara Hudson.

joanne1982uk Tue 08-Dec-15 09:56:53

Don't know how true this is but there was a thread on another forum about meeting celebs and his name came up alot.

His public persona seems to be just an act as loads of people said how nice he was irl and was nothing like he portrays himself in public.

But I also read on a sports forum that he was a late replacement in the awards due to winning the title. His spot was originally for Joe root

PlaysWellWithOthers Tue 08-Dec-15 10:19:00

I've met him. He's a creature. (as I said before)

Interesting blog about the language he uses here

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now