Talk

Advanced search

I know, I know, it's the Daily Mail. But...

(13 Posts)
TheCarpenter Wed 02-Dec-15 14:14:38

given there's a study which adds to the whole male/female brain being a huge crock of shite they still come out with this pish.

'but there’s one thing we all know for certain: men’s and women’s brains are wired in completely different ways that make the two sexes so very unlike one another'

'An analysis of the brain scans of 1,400 men and women claims to show that entirely ‘male’ or ‘female’ brains are extremely rare, with most being ‘inter-sex’ — or somewhere in between.
Back in the real world, this simply can’t be true. For centuries, the battle of the sexes has been waged over the biological differences between our brains — be these in our approach to map-reading, relationships or household chores.'

'Brains develop a gender in the womb
It’s not possible to put all our differences down to the ways in which boys and girls are raised — because the gender of your brain starts developing before birth.'

The article goes on to explain how men are wired not to listen, not hear babies cry, but to think about sex more.

I know they have some studies linked. But if I taught you the trumpet every day and then did a scan of you playing it no doubt some parts of the brain would 'light up' on a scan that wouldn't for someone not using their brain in the same way. Does that mean we have trumpet brains?

I know I'm probably preaching to the converted here but I needed to have a rant. I was so positive this morning, my son learnt about sexism in his PHSE class yesterday and came home talking about what bollocks gendered behaviour was. He'd had his eyes opened and was talking about how the patriarchy affected his sisters in a negative way, but him too. You think you're getting somewhere.....

TheCarpenter Wed 02-Dec-15 14:17:00

I didn't link the article. blush Bloody 'lady brain'.

www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-3342104/How-male-female-brain-Men-women-s-brains-NOT-different-says-new-research-Oh-yes-Try-tests-sex-grey-cells-are.html

BuffytheScaryFeministBOO Wed 02-Dec-15 14:20:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ifgrandmahadawilly Wed 02-Dec-15 14:22:36

Did you read the part where they claimed that scientists have now agreed that men and women are different species? confused

BuffytheScaryFeministBOO Wed 02-Dec-15 14:26:14

PassiveAgressiveQueen Wed 02-Dec-15 14:57:30

but didn't every female in history baby wear, so no need to learn to hear the baby cry as it was physically attached?

yes being petulant

TheCarpenter Wed 02-Dec-15 15:00:11

There were times I slept through youngest DD stirring and DH saw to her as I slept. [bad mother smiley]

GreenTomatoJam Wed 02-Dec-15 15:02:23

Evolution must have been prescient as well - figuring out ahead of time that we should be best at writing Christmas cards, especially since it's only in the last 100 years or so (at best) they we were deigned bright enough to even be taught to write..

GreenTomatoJam Wed 02-Dec-15 15:03:37

Also, about the hearing - I thought we were too busy looking for berries (not known for their whimpers and screams) rather than the men who were hunting (and thus must have needed all their senses to be the very best)

BuffytheScaryFeministBOO Wed 02-Dec-15 15:11:37

VestalVirgin Wed 02-Dec-15 15:14:00

Did you read the part where they claimed that scientists have now agreed that men and women are different species?

But ... but ... I recently read an article about a cross-breeding experiment with women and men. The offspring was tiny, wrinkly, unable to feed itself, or even walk, and seemed to be in pain (it cried a lot) , but the experiment was successful. Wouldn't that disprove the different species theory?

Different sub-species, maybe, as the offspring didn't seem to be fertile. wink

PassiveAgressiveQueen Wed 02-Dec-15 15:24:59

@Vestal tee hee (refuse to lol)

PlaysWellWithOthers Wed 02-Dec-15 18:02:14

And this is why the Daily Mail is only suitable for lining the cat's litter tray or as a taper for lighting the fire... does leave a nasty smell though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now