Talk

Advanced search

Do any trans women self identify as autogynophile?

(31 Posts)
ShortcutButton Fri 27-Nov-15 19:48:43

Just that really. I imagine that, it isn't something a person would identify with?

Holowiwi Sat 28-Nov-15 08:35:36

Another trans thread?? Jesus you guys sure love this topic.

PlaysWellWithOthers Sat 28-Nov-15 09:56:05

Could this question maybe be better asked on one of the many trans threads already going? Just a suggestion of course.

Holo.. thanks for your input... not many 'guys' post here however. Pretty sure Short isn't a 'guys' either. "misgendering"? <shrugs>

MrsLeighHalfpenny Sat 28-Nov-15 10:03:42

What does it mean?

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Branleuse Sat 28-Nov-15 10:37:15

i think it means someone who is sexually aroused by the thought of themselves as a member of the other sex.

I think the question is about whether trans people are just sexual deviants, getting themselves off rather than actually feeling like thats what they are. Someone trying to catch trans people out.

I think transvestites would be more likely to identify as this, rather than transexuals

abbieanders Sat 28-Nov-15 10:42:57

Obviously don't want to tell anyone how to feel or speculate on other people's feelings, but I recall reading a transwoman saying that what she called daddy transitioners (later life mtf with marriage and children) fitted more into this category than young transitioners.

May or may not be the case.

ShortcutButton Sat 28-Nov-15 11:10:38

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blanchard%27s_transsexualism_typology

Its men who are sexually aroused by the idea of having a female body. It is allegedly a motivation for transitioning, mostly amongst men who transition in middle age or later, who have not previous shown any sign of being trans e.g. Bruce Jenner

I wondered if this was widely recognised as a reason for transitioning? By the trans community? By the individuals themselves?

ShortcutButton Sat 28-Nov-15 11:13:01

No bran, I am not trying to catch anyone out.

MrsLeighHalfpenny Sat 28-Nov-15 11:17:15

Weird.

VulcanWoman Sat 28-Nov-15 11:20:59

You're seriously obsessed.

QueenStromba Sat 28-Nov-15 11:26:14

The transgender community like to pretend that autogynephilia isn't a real thing as it doesn't fit with their ladybrain narrative and makes it seem like transgenderism is a perversion. Society would be much less pro-trans if it was largely seen as a sexual fetish rather than ultra gayness. A survey run by a transgender subreddit shows that it's very common though:

gendertrender.wordpress.com/2013/01/29/autogynephilia-survey-m2t-under-30/

I've also seen the odd MTT or detransitioned MTT in the comments at Gender Trender admit that autogynephilia was a big motivator for their transition.

BeyondThirty Sat 28-Nov-15 12:00:46

I dont see why a minority wouldnt admit that it is their own fetish in the same way they might admit to a foot fetish or whatever.

But whether the wider 'community' would admit it seems another question, as queen says, it doesnt fit their narrative.

(Fwiw, i agree with the creation of a new thread to ask the question - just because it is trans-related, doesnt mean it would fit in another current thread. Perhaps in a 'general' trans thread it would work, but then people would moan that there is another trans thread hmm ...)

OneMoreCasualty Sat 28-Nov-15 12:05:29

I think it's a separate question but I'm not sure it's a FWR question - the conflicts between the rights of born women and trans women are certainly a feminist issue, the motivations for transitioning more a general or a health issue.

I'm not the thread police though - it's up to OP where she posts.

PlaysWellWithOthers Sat 28-Nov-15 12:07:12

Anyone else think that the whole trans* agenda is just to stop women talking about issues affecting women?

Fucking sick of talking about men's issues and men's rights to be whatever they want now.

BeyondThirty Sat 28-Nov-15 12:11:34

<musing> I guess that technically, fetishism would come under the sex topic...?

QueenStromba Sat 28-Nov-15 12:22:28

I would imagine that the OP posted her question here because FWR regulars tend to be more informed about transgenderism than posters on other boards. I wouldn't have seen this if it was in the sex topic.

ShortcutButton Sat 28-Nov-15 13:15:11

I posted here, because my name interest in TG issues is only how they are impacting on women; that's a feminist issue is it not??

And my reasons for asking about autogynaphilia, iz a bit woolly. But trying to see a way forward; i was thinking it would be useful maybe to distinguish AGenophiles separately from other TG folk??

BeyondThirty Sat 28-Nov-15 13:23:11

I think it would be very beneficial to the T community. But then i dont see why they arent getting behind the 'drop the T' idea, so what do i know!

Clearly they think that having a large number of people in the same general 'cause' is beneficial, rather than having the specific 'cause' just being those it applies to. Iyswim, because that looks like gobbledegook to me!! grin

ShortcutButton Sat 28-Nov-15 13:26:11

Really interesting link, thanks queen

BeyondThirty Sat 28-Nov-15 13:28:43

And yes, it is related to posting in feminism. As TG are co-opting LGB, co-opting AGP and co-opting feminism. When if it turns out that the main people doing the co-opting are the AGP taking over TG (as opposed to the other way around...), it starts to look very sinister that they are taking over LGB and feminism...

<more gobbledegook. Hope it is readable!!>

Wannabestepfordwife Sat 28-Nov-15 21:05:43

Long term lurker on these threads but not posted before.

I have been reading Paris Lees (horrifically badly written) articles today- as she came up on my "people you might know" bit on Facebook.

I came across this piece www.vice.com/en_uk/read/being-a-slag-is-a-virtue-not-a-vice-paris-lees which has left me in no doubt that Paris Lees is an autogynophile and the level of narcissism is quite scary.

almondpudding Sat 28-Nov-15 21:21:50

The harassment of Bailey, who wrote the book on the topic, is discussed here:

www.nytimes.com/2007/08/21/health/psychology/21gender.html?_r=0

OneFlewOverTheDodosNest Sat 28-Nov-15 22:22:26

This section from almond's article astounded me:
"The site also included a link to the Web page of another critic of Dr. Bailey’s book, Andrea James, a Los Angeles-based transgender advocate and consultant. Ms. James downloaded images from Dr. Bailey’s Web site of his children, taken when they were in middle and elementary school, and posted them on her own site, with sexually explicit captions that she provided. (Dr. Bailey is a divorced father of two.) Ms. James said in an e-mail message that Dr. Bailey’s work exploited vulnerable people, especially children, and that her response echoed his disrespect."

How on earth can anyone think they hold the moral high ground when they're writing sexual comments on pictures of children?

ShortcutButton Sun 29-Nov-15 07:40:46

I don't know what to say about either of those links!!

Paris Lees. Wow! They are definitely hyper-sexual; that sounds like sex addiction to me?? It doesn't sound safe?!

What a whole mess aroundvthe Bailey research/book. Poor bloke. It'd be really interested in 1) reading his book and 2) reading a scientific critique of his work...avoiding the personal insults etc

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now